Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura boasts 2010 NSX will be faster than Nissan GT-R (Page 12)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 09:10 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see the new grill style peeking through

how the hell can these spy people determine what these things are...
Old 06-17-08, 09:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The car has fake body cladding, and some heavy camo. Exactly how are some of you forming such detailed opinions about the car's exterior already? Looking at the car's silhouette (since we don't know what's under the camo) it's a fairly derivative design and really doesn't look exotic, nor does this remind me of a Ferrari. The LF-A *does* look exotic, at least what we have seen so far. The LF-A's mechanical layout automatically makes it an exotic car.

The NSX will have a more traditional, (or derivative if you will) layout. Looks like a front-engine V10, with a front-mounted transmission and SH-AWD.

There are no side or rear air intakes, and the tail lights remind of an Accord or CL coupe. Far from an exotic look.

I have a bad feeling this will look less exotic and less aggressive than the original NSX, especially as you can see the outline of the Acura shield grill at the front.
Old 06-17-08, 09:15 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks more like a Saturn badged Corvette than something from the Acura family. The only cue I get that says Acura is the TL-esque exhaust (which I think is fugly).
Old 06-17-08, 09:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
It looks more like a Saturn badged Corvette than something from the Acura family. The only cue I get that says Acura is the TL-esque exhaust (which I think is fugly).

That made me spill my redbull! Saturn badged Corvette, lol.
Old 06-17-08, 10:04 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, what a generic, pedestrian design. it looks like a smaller LF-A with ugly exhausts.
Old 06-17-08, 10:07 AM
LexFather

If you get excited about those pics, you must also get excited hearing the "snap crackle pop" when you pour milk on your rice krispies.

It looks like a blander LF-A in those pics, with the IS-F exhuast to boot. If anything I hope its maybe some sort of Acura coupe in the TL-RL range instead of the next NSX replacement.

Old 06-17-08, 12:57 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb T O V

Next-Gen NSX/Sports Car Spied on the Ring
Date: June 17, 2008 13:01
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Brenda Priddy & Company
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

You've likely seen all the spy shots from KGP Photography already, but Brenda Priddy & Co. got some shots of their own. There's already been a lot of discussion surrounding the KGP shots in our forums, and at least one user is questioning whether this car is really the NSX, or perhaps some other new "sub-NSX" sports model as the photos make this car appear rather small. Also, notice the Z06 in the background of the first pic, apparently being used as a benchmark during this test session. A while back there were some rumors that Acura was working on a sub-NSX sports car that would be priced in the $50-60k bracket, a so-called Corvette-fighter. Considering the fact that the next-gen NSX isn't expected to debut until the Tokyo motor show in 2009, it's possible that this car, which appears largely finished, could be that long-rumored mid range sports coupe.

Old 06-17-08, 01:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
wow, what a generic, pedestrian design.
I agree with you.

When the NSX came out in the early 90's, it was futuristic and fresh.

Now, it doesn't look different than the next Hyundai Tiburon concept...

Old 06-17-08, 01:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Perhaps this isn't an NSX then

I think people need to realize that this could possibly be a GT coupe, and not an exotic like the original NSX. I guess most people assume this is an nsx because Acura never really had another sports car in the line up.
Old 06-17-08, 02:20 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I agree with you.

When the NSX came out in the early 90's, it was futuristic and fresh.

Now, it doesn't look different than the next Hyundai Tiburon concept...

The Tiburon was the first thing I thought of too.
Old 06-17-08, 02:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Still too much camo to accurately gauge what this car will really look like but it does have more GT proportions like a Aston Martin, Masserati, Ferrari 575, then a true mid engined exotic like a Ferrari F430 but that was expected since it is not going to be mid engined. This car is the NSX REPLACEMENT for now and is not the next NSX and I highly doubt Honda/Acura will call it an NSX as the NSX should be for a true next generation NSX with a mid engine layout and low exotic looks and a more focused sports car. Still this car looks to have a nice sports/GT shape and a high powered luxury Acura GT coupe would still be very nice and would highly interest me as does the Lexus LFA. This car certainly looks smaller then the ASC concept and has a more compact shape but the last concept nose was way too long which needed to be addressed. The rear has somewhat of an Aston Martin/Mercedes SLR look. I think this is the NSX replacement and not some new lower priced corvette fighter as little has been said about a GT 50-60K corvette fighter and Acura would most likely finish the NSX replacement first then start a corvette/911 fighter. I am still hoping Acura does a true next NSX which is mid engined and a hard core focused exotic sports car in the future to give them a unique position in the market place. They can have two or even 3 sports cars, they don't need to have just one car competing in several different segments and should have one competing for the front engined lux GT market and another to compete with hardcore mid engine sports cars and maybe something around 50-60K to compete with Corvettes and 911s.
Old 06-17-08, 02:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

has a pretty nice shape
Old 06-17-08, 03:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The car has fake body cladding, and some heavy camo. Exactly how are some of you forming such detailed opinions about the car's exterior already? Looking at the car's silhouette (since we don't know what's under the camo) it's a fairly derivative design and really doesn't look exotic, nor does this remind me of a Ferrari. The LF-A *does* look exotic, at least what we have seen so far. The LF-A's mechanical layout automatically makes it an exotic car.

The NSX will have a more traditional, (or derivative if you will) layout. Looks like a front-engine V10, with a front-mounted transmission and SH-AWD.
I don't think the LFA looks that exotic especially from several angles of the show cars I have seen and especially after seeing that convertable version but I really do like the design which has sort of an old school look like the last Supra's shape but lower and wider and more aggressive. What is exotic about the LF-A's mechanical layout compared to the NSX replacement? They are both front engined v10 sports GT cars built off of rwd platforms and will have roughly the same power and performance. The corvette has a rear mounted transmission so that in of itself does not make it or the LFA an exotic. The NSX replacement does appear to have a somewhat similar shape to the LFA but seems a little shorter. I hope neither of these cars cost over 130K and will really be dissapointed if they are priced near or over 200K like some sources seem to report as they will be way overpriced and only the rich will be able to afford them and they will sell in extremely small numbers and not be attainable to the vast majority of enthusiasts, even fairly well off ones who could afford 911s and Audi R8s.
Old 06-17-08, 04:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think the LFA looks that exotic especially from several angles of the show cars I have seen and especially after seeing that convertable version but I really do like the design which has sort of an old school look like the last Supra's shape but lower and wider and more aggressive. What is exotic about the LF-A's mechanical layout compared to the NSX replacement? They are both front engined v10 sports GT cars built off of rwd platforms and will have roughly the same power and performance. The corvette has a rear mounted transmission so that in of itself does not make it or the LFA an exotic. The NSX replacement does appear to have a somewhat similar shape to the LFA but seems a little shorter. I hope neither of these cars cost over 130K and will really be dissapointed if they are priced near or over 200K like some sources seem to report as they will be way overpriced and only the rich will be able to afford them and they will sell in extremely small numbers and not be attainable to the vast majority of enthusiasts, even fairly well off ones who could afford 911s and Audi R8s.
If you don't think this looks exotic, then why should anyone read past that first part of your post.

This is not exotic? If Acura had a badge on it, I'm sorry but you would be head over heels for it. The LF-A doesn't look like anything we have seen thus far and nothing currently on the road.

I doubt the the car in this pic is shorter than a LF-A b/c the LF-A is already shorter than a 911.

Again you continue to bunch Acura and Lexus together when Lexus has proven time and time again people BUY truly expensive Lexus and Acura CANNOT sell anything outside the MDX over 40k.

Old 06-17-08, 05:02 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question 8 Speed

Fukui Tells Honda R&D: NSX Must be Faster Around the Nurburgring Than the GT-R

NÜRBURG, Germany — The latest prototype of the 2011 Acura NSX has hit the Nürburgring, and according to our sources in Japan, it has a very specific goal. We're told that Takeo Fukui, CEO of Honda, has tasked his R&D team with building an NSX that's faster around the Nürburgring than both the Nissan GT-R and the upcoming Lexus LF-A.

It's a tall order, and one that Honda hopes it can achieve through the use of a 5.5-liter V10 expected to make 550 horses, with a torque peak expected to top 420 pound-feet. The engine is essentially a slightly larger version of the V8 that Honda will use for the next-generation, rear-wheel-drive RL sedan, and it will use cylinder deactivation under light loads for maximum efficiency. Additional gains will come from the use of an eight-speed, paddle-shifted automatic.

Getting the power to the ground will be a modified version of Honda's Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD) system. Packaging could be tight, however, as this NSX will place its V10 up front. A combination of steel and aluminum will be used for the chassis that will form the basis of this 2+2 sports car.

What this means to you: The Acura NSX is less than two years away, and it's aiming to reclaim its title as Japan's ultimate supercar. — Ed Hellwig, Lead Senior Editor

Quick Reply: Acura boasts 2010 NSX will be faster than Nissan GT-R (Page 12)