Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exquisite 2008 BMW 760Li "Individual Edition"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 08:45 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow! The wood on this car is really eye-catching. Not feeling the steering wheel though. The exterior colour almost looks like Truffle Mica.
Old 01-16-08, 10:18 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fobs are status symbols that people want to carry around and show off.
Old 01-16-08, 11:06 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

i sat in this exact car before... it at the 'individual section' of the BMW world at Munich. BMW world is a new museum/gallery just opposite the BMW headquarters ... you see all kinds of bmws there.

there is a 650i next to it, also beautifully done with special interiors and exteriors.
Old 01-18-08, 09:13 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

thats what im talkin about.
Old 01-18-08, 10:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks nicely upscale to a regular 7-series...some observations...

In many BMW's (3/5/7) the basic motif is a large 'plank' across the dashboard, be it wood or plastic, and bits around it. Other companies, such as Audi, Lexus, Mercedes (sometimes), can have a more organic look; using arcs that bisect the dash into two sides; dash lines flowing out to caress the doors; an asymmetrical wave effect, and/or more curved wood panels but not a straight line across. The 'plank' look seems a bit less cohesive to me, but to each their own. The 6 series is an exception with more wave-like sections which is a nice departure IMO.

It's a bit ironic that the stereotypical BMW dash seems a bit like driving a single wide 'furniture'/deck plank, when a more connected, dynamic feel is generally reported in the performance aspect...

Last edited by encore888; 01-18-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-19-08, 08:49 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKenn
wahts that little metal piece on the steering wheel? does it check your pulse?
As noted those are for manual shifting (with no gearshift you have to find a way to offer this feature that nobody uses)

Originally Posted by AznJason
Why is it that even on the 7 series, you still have to plug in your key? I know it probably has the option so you don't have to, but on the 7-series?
Believe it or not, you have to fork over $1K for the Comfort Access option to allow for keyless start (you can still put the key in there -which I do when I valet - or at least I try to remember to do....)

Originally Posted by encore888

In many BMW's (3/5/7) the basic motif is a large 'plank' across the dashboard, be it wood or plastic, and bits around it. Other companies, such as Audi, Lexus, Mercedes (sometimes), can have a more organic look; using arcs that bisect the dash into two sides; dash lines flowing out to caress the doors; an asymmetrical wave effect, and/or more curved wood panels but not a straight line across. The 'plank' look seems a bit less cohesive to me, but to each their own. The 6 series is an exception with more wave-like sections which is a nice departure IMO.

It's a bit ironic that the stereotypical BMW dash seems a bit like driving a single wide 'furniture'/deck plank, when a more connected, dynamic feel is generally reported in the performance aspect...
Hmmm, can you elaborate a bit on this? I'm not sure I follow (pics?)
Old 01-19-08, 08:54 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

That's pretty nice!
Old 01-19-08, 04:24 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

just when you would think those seats couldnt get any better, they gracefully integrate huge monitors in them.
Old 01-20-08, 02:22 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999

Hmmm, can you elaborate a bit on this? I'm not sure I follow (pics?)
I'll indulge...here are 3 pics of the current 3/5/7...in various configs. Differing from some other luxury makes, BMW currently has the front dash dominated/unified by a continuous piece of either metallic or wood trim...which goes through all A/C vents, and is usually discontinuous with the door trim. This piece creates a uniform sensibility across the dash, and while supplementary curves can soften the straight-line effect, the long rectangle is a defining characteristic.

It is in contrast to previous generations of BMWs which did have separate/angled pieces of trim before the driver and passenger, usually divided by a protruding center stack. The 6 series and some other models are exceptions to the current pattern (to my eye, having seen pics--having experienced the 3/5/7 firsthand). Perhaps the current single dash panel is more distinctive, or simplified this time around, but I am partial to the more curvaceous 6 series interior, which I think looks great in that coupe/convertible.

Interestingly, the Audi A8 does have a similar wood piece (unlike A4/A6/etc), but the execution is far different (flows on to doors, bisected by NAVI screen, is more minimalist, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails Exquisite 2008 BMW 760Li "Individual Edition"-bmw-interiors.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 01-20-08 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-20-08, 02:51 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love love love the interior!!!

that interior looks straight out of a private jet! excellent execution!
Old 01-20-08, 02:22 PM
Stelth91
Driver

That speedo better be in Km/h, because it looks like it goes up to 260, lol
Old 01-20-08, 08:08 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I'll indulge...here are 3 pics of the current 3/5/7...in various configs. Differing from some other luxury makes, BMW currently has the front dash dominated/unified by a continuous piece of either metallic or wood trim...which goes through all A/C vents, and is usually discontinuous with the door trim. This piece creates a uniform sensibility across the dash, and while supplementary curves can soften the straight-line effect, the long rectangle is a defining characteristic.

It is in contrast to previous generations of BMWs which did have separate/angled pieces of trim before the driver and passenger, usually divided by a protruding center stack. The 6 series and some other models are exceptions to the current pattern (to my eye, having seen pics--having experienced the 3/5/7 firsthand). Perhaps the current single dash panel is more distinctive, or simplified this time around, but I am partial to the more curvaceous 6 series interior, which I think looks great in that coupe/convertible.

Interestingly, the Audi A8 does have a similar wood piece (unlike A4/A6/etc), but the execution is far different (flows on to doors, bisected by NAVI screen, is more minimalist, etc.)
Can you show what you are comparing it to/against? Once again, I see this as very driver centric (yea, works for the passenger too) - but nothing is out of the eye sight of the driver so short of some angled trim, I'm just not seeing it?
Old 01-20-08, 08:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Definitely nice. I am really loving the new facelift on the 7 series that they updated a year or 2 ago.
Old 01-20-08, 11:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Can you show what you are comparing it to/against? Once again, I see this as very driver centric (yea, works for the passenger too) - but nothing is out of the eye sight of the driver so short of some angled trim, I'm just not seeing it?
c'mon doug, its not even close. BMW said themselves in either Fortune or Businessweek, another reason for the new flat dashes was to cut costs. It is easier to build/assemble for RHD/LHD compared to the previous drivers oriented dashes like this below.

Old 01-20-08, 11:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. Thx for the info on the rationale btw. Those pictures make a good comparison, the older BMW interiors, while somewhat dated by today's standards, had a nice design IMO. Especially the prior 7-series.

Quick Reply: Exquisite 2008 BMW 760Li "Individual Edition"