Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
NEW Acura TL
74.55%
2005 Mercedes Benz E 320
25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

which car to get : TL or E320

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 05:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

for 35k max you could even get a new TL, but theres not a whole lot of differences, CPO used would be great

Originally Posted by Vannak
Dude get the european. The answers you got sound all based because its a japanese car. Ask yourself this, would you rather be in a Benz or a acura? Exactly
would you rather be on the road or the service bay? Exactly
Old 01-11-08, 06:50 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like the tribe has spoken...

the TL is indeed a more drivers car than the E320. It is faster, more reliable and also has better equipment.

thanks all for the input .
Old 01-11-08, 08:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by texan629
exactly, this board has mostly asian members so they will be biased towards japanese cars. If acura is american does that mean there's the Big 4 now?
So your screename is Texan629. So you must wear a cowboy hat, boots and ride a horse to work?
No, that is an ignorant an unfair assumption, as ridiculous as what you just said.

I've met literally hundreds, if not a couple thousand members and that could not be FURTHER from the truth. This forum is a melting pot, its not one race of people.

I am going to ask you stop trying to paint this forum one color as it makes the poster look childish and clueless.

Acura can't be a big 4 b/c they don't SELL in those quantities.

Stop trying to stir the pot.

Old 01-11-08, 08:17 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im going to say look at the IS250.

I have owned many Acura TLs and they are not as great of a car as everyone thinks. Trust me they have there fair share of troubles just as a Benz does. To be honest im not sure how most of the stuff isnt posted in write ups? so im going to say stay away from the TL both from having worked at an Acura dealer for a year back in 05/06 and having owned many TLs as you can see in my sig.

i would think more reliable and a better car IMO would be an IS250 awd? not the power of the TL but having an IS350 and comparing it to the TL.

Many may ask why i kept leasing the TL if i had so many troubles. Well my work paid for it and i am friends with the owner of the dealership. so i could drive a ford taurus for a company car or lease a TL at no expense to me?? the company suffered greatly back when the economy crashed and i was out of work for close to a year and this is why and when i worked at Acura.

Hope this is of help and good luck on the purchase!
Old 01-11-08, 08:26 AM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

IMO - there's nothing about the LOOKS of a TL that isn't better than the E320
Old 01-11-08, 08:34 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

19 in an MB just does not look right..

I would get the TL.
Old 01-11-08, 09:02 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Being 19 I would Def. get the TL. But since I'm 30 i would get me the MB
Old 01-11-08, 09:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to be clear--its NEW TL? Poll says 2005, but post says new. If it were 2005, I think I'd want to change my vote--no way I'd pay $35k for a 3 year old TL.
Old 01-11-08, 09:30 AM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
Just to be clear--its NEW TL? Poll says 2005, but post says new. If it were 2005, I think I'd want to change my vote--no way I'd pay $35k for a 3 year old TL.
+1
I got my 2005 TL with 25k miles on it and a 100k acura warranty for $26k OTD last month
Old 01-11-08, 09:37 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vannak
Dude get the european. The answers you got sound all based because its a japanese car. Ask yourself this, would you rather be in a Benz or a acura? Exactly
I'm Japanese and I recommend the TL; not based on my heritage. If you like spending time in the dealership, then get a Mercedes. If you like driving, then the TL.

But if I were 19 again and with 35k, I'd get a used STi, slightly mod it, and dump the rest in track time. But thats just me
Old 01-11-08, 10:13 AM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

as I am 19, i would say the TL is the better option. iv driven both a mercedes R class and an S class and I was unimpressed with both. In the R class I felt like a rich soccer mom, and in the S class i felt like i was driving a high tech sofa. I've also heard that mercedes ownership is often a less than pleasant experience with far too many trips to the dealership.

The TL is a great car in my opinion, especially fully loaded. It has a solid amount of horsepower and has the honda reliability factor going for it. It's also significantly more sporty than the E class, and will attract far less haters.

I'd also recommend that your cousin try out an IS250 or a 350. I drive the former and I love it. Lexus for life, baby... or you know.. for until I can afford a new skyline GTR.

Last edited by Fearlessfx; 01-11-08 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-11-08, 11:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
exactly, this board has mostly asian members so they will be biased towards japanese cars. If acura is american does that mean there's the Big 4 now?
I am not asian? How do you know most of the members are asian? Acura is not American, it is a upmarket Japanese brand from Honda. Just because the TL is made in America and sold in America does not mean Acura is an American car company or that the TL is an American car. Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Infiniti, Nissan, Mitsubishi, all have plants in the U.S. that make cars and it does not mean they are American. Lexus has a plant in Canada that makes the RX does not mean Lexus is Canadian.

I was born in America and I still usaully recommend Japanese cars or other imports.
Old 01-11-08, 11:55 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

With the premise being those are the two cars that appeal to him and he has the cash, then the input made here relative to choice is valid. But if he is in college and is resident at the college and will be parking this thing in any sort of public parking, I wouldn't get either. Save some bucks and get something that you can treat as disposable because unless you are commuting from home, it will be in pretty grim shape in a couple of years. Both choices are too nice to do that to.
Old 01-11-08, 12:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i hate to say that i think this is where the QC falls short on the TL and has since about 99. they went after sales and dropped the QC levels on these cars and i was at a event when/while employed thru Acura and the first thing of topic was the trans problems on the TL. they appologized like it was going out of style!! i know i have min of 3 new trans put in all but my first TL....my assumption, many may disagree is that the car is MFG over in the states and reminds me of quality of an american car. The cars with the least amount of trouble when i worked for Acura was the RSX, TSX, MDX, & NSX. all of these came from overseas or Canada. i think Acura (Honda) is a great company and has some great products. Age or not i would find another car that will satisfy the needs and the price range for the buyer.
Old 01-11-08, 12:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
im going to say look at the IS250.

I have owned many Acura TLs and they are not as great of a car as everyone thinks. Trust me they have there fair share of troubles just as a Benz does. To be honest im not sure how most of the stuff isnt posted in write ups? so im going to say stay away from the TL both from having worked at an Acura dealer for a year back in 05/06 and having owned many TLs as you can see in my sig.

i would think more reliable and a better car IMO would be an IS250 awd? not the power of the TL but having an IS350 and comparing it to the TL.

Many may ask why i kept leasing the TL if i had so many troubles. Well my work paid for it and i am friends with the owner of the dealership. so i could drive a ford taurus for a company car or lease a TL at no expense to me?? the company suffered greatly back when the economy crashed and i was out of work for close to a year and this is why and when i worked at Acura.

Hope this is of help and good luck on the purchase!
That is ashame you have not been happy with your TL. That does not mean the TL is not a great car. My parents own a 99 TL and 03 CL and have never had one issue with those cars. They have been much more reliable and trouble free then my supposidly better made GS430. I know alot of people with TLs especially the current gen and have talked to a bunch more and they all have said they really like the TL and have not had any issues. Working at an Acura dealership/service dept or any dealership you are definitely going to see a bunch of problems and issues with those cars but it does not mean that is the norm. I know someone who worked at a Lexus dealership and he pretty much said the same thing that their is alot of problems with Lexus cars and can't see why they are rated so high but that is because that is all he sees everyday is Lexus cars being worked on with problems.

Saying the TL has as many issues as the E class just does not hold any water considering all the data from surveys, consumer reports, edmonds, etc. You are much more likely to have a more trouble free experience with the TL then the E class, you can't argue that, also many of the issues with TLs were related to people not liking the stiffer ride, squeeks/rattles/ things that are not going to cost much to fix or leave you stranded on the road or without a car.

An IS is a nice car but current Lexus models are having their share of problems too, look at all the threads on the newer lexus cars. I would recommend him getting a less expensive and larger TSX over the IS if he was going for a car that size but I still think even a TSX is not really a great car for a 19 year old as they are still pretty expensive and unless he is getting a very good high paying secure job at his age something a lot less expensive would be much better in his position.

Why doesn't he wait until he is a little older with more money/experience with cars/maturity/job security before he goes getting a expensive luxury car from upmarket brands, 30-35K cars are very expensive for kids his age and are more for people in their upper 20s,30's, and 40's. I just have a issue with people recommending 19 year olds getting pricey luxury cars that don't really offer much over regular cars aside from a nameplate/prestige/few options when they should be getting something much more reasonable/practical like a used/new Accord, civic, Corrola, Scion Tc, Altima, Sentra, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Prelude, Integra, RSX, etc. I know so many younger guys around his age who end up getting themselves into a ton of debt because they go out and get cars that are too expensive, get expensive apartments/houses they can't afford, get big expensive TVs, electronics, go out to expensive places, etc. Then they find out they can't afford all that stuff and are stuck paying off something for along time with terrible credit. Spending 20K or under for a car at his age is much smarter then spending 30-35K or over for a car that will be more expensive to maintain, use more expensive premium gas, usually higher insurance, attract more unwanted attention. He should use the money he saved for more important things then having some more fancy options or a fancier brand name.

Quick Reply: which car to get : TL or E320