Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What your CEO drives, says alot

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 12:31 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a little off topic but you can't judge how lavish or frugal someone's life is just based on their car. People put different degree of importance on cars. For instance a CEO that drives a Toyota Prius may own a 10,000 sq ft mansion while the one who drives the SL 65 AMG might own a 3,000 sq ft condo PH, which is still lavish but nothing near the mansion.
Old 12-28-07, 12:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, the last-gen RL was certainly no econobox. In many ways, it was essentially a Japanese Buick Park Avenue....squared-off styling, FWD, plush, quiet, and smooth-riding.
I've ridden in his car a couple of times and I would not at all describe it as quiet. I'd say it rides halfway between a Park Avenue and a TL - still definitely stiffer over bumps than a Park Avenue. And the interior is very drab - very obviously from the same design school/thought that made the 98-02 Accord interior. The 03 Accord and 05 RL were massive improvements over their predecessors in every way - especially interior design and noise.
Old 12-28-07, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've ridden in his car a couple of times and I would not at all describe it as quiet. I'd say it rides halfway between a Park Avenue and a TL - still definitely stiffer over bumps than a Park Avenue. And the interior is very drab - very obviously from the same design school/thought that made the 98-02 Accord interior. The 03 Accord and 05 RL were massive improvements over their predecessors in every way - especially interior design and noise.
Perhaps you're right. Maybe I should have said a Japanese LeSabre or Regal instead of Park Ave. Anyhow, it was Consumer Reports that more or less coined the term "Japanese Buick" for it.

However, I also drove the last-gen RL, and though it was no Town Car, I did not find it particularly stiff-riding.......and you know from my reviews that I'm very sensitive to that and tend to complain about firm tires and underpinnings.
Old 12-28-07, 07:32 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My CIO drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee... but that's only because choices were Cherokee, Yukon, Grand Am, or Malibu. not a big choice of "fine" vehicles in that group.
Old 12-28-07, 07:43 PM
LexFather

Perhaps you're right. Maybe I should have said a Japanese LeSabre or Regal instead of Park Ave. Anyhow, it was Consumer Reports that more or less coined the term "Japanese Buick" for it.

However, I also drove the last-gen RL, and though it was no Town Car, I did not find it particularly stiff-riding.......and you know from my reviews that I'm very sensitive to that and tend to complain about firm tires and underpinnings.
When I was shopping for my mothers current vehicle 4 years ago, I knew the Acura Sales Manager here so I gave a clean certified RL a shot. He let her keep it for the weekend and I drove it a bunch.

It was clear outside of the huge trunk, this car was so average it was sad. It wasn't bad in any aspect outside of power and handling but it was so drag and blah and had no personality whatsoever. Might as well buy an Accord or Civic.

The drivers side had a power seat and the passenger a manual one! The wood was too glossy, the sound system was blah, it wasn't overly spacious. Sigh..

Pros. Standard HIDs, you could drive 150mph and no one would notice you and the car had the usual fantastic Honda ergonomics (big dials, easy to use radio, HVAC, etc).

My mother, who is not a car lady at all, was so unimpressed it wasn't even funny.

And she wasn't going to pay for it.

Old 12-28-07, 08:29 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The drivers side had a power seat and the passenger a manual one! The wood was too glossy, the sound system was blah, it wasn't overly spacious. Sigh..

Pros. Standard HIDs, you could drive 150mph and no one would notice you and the car had the usual fantastic Honda ergonomics (big dials, easy to use radio, HVAC, etc).
Hmm, that is unusual it had a manual passenger seat. I know my friends 99RL had a power passenger seat. In the Legend, only the base L model had a manual drivers seat. I though when they changed it to the RL name in 96 the did away with all the different trim levels, but I guess not.
Old 12-28-07, 08:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Hmm, that is unusual it had a manual passenger seat. I know my friends 99RL had a power passenger seat. In the Legend, only the base L model had a manual drivers seat. I though when they changed it to the RL name in 96 the did away with all the different trim levels, but I guess not.
I could be mistaken, possibly. My buds 2.5 TL had one for sure (rode in it many times). If it was power, it was a simple 4 way my old ES 300 had. Hell the new model has a 4 way passenger seat, lol!

Old 12-28-07, 08:44 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I could be mistaken, possibly. My buds 2.5 TL had one for sure (rode in it many times). If it was power, it was a simple 4 way my old ES 300 had. Hell the new model has a 4 way passenger seat, lol!

I believe it was 4 way. Only the drivers seat was 8 way. The lumbar seat adjustments would have been manual.
Old 12-30-07, 02:42 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

I'm my own boss so "my company's CEO" drives an FJ Cruiser. Gf's company (big time healthcare company) CEO drives a new LS460 & prior car was an sc430. Oh yeah, one of my best friend's boss drives an 07' IS350...Did I mention his boss is his wife, hah!
Old 12-30-07, 02:47 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

LOL most of this is bull****.

I know *most* small to medium business CEO's are just normal good men getting by.

You know what most of them probably have? LX's, Landcruisers, Suburbans, and Expeditions.

Why? Because they have a big family for the weekends, they might move **** around due to work (what, you think just because you're a CEO means you don't get involved? get real) and probably have a Vette, maybe a SL as a weekend car (or might be a daily driver hehe, depending on if he's having his mid life crisis or not!)

Also, they won't have the time to waste on bull**** "studies" like this
Old 12-30-07, 02:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Did I mention his boss is his wife, hah!
Depending on how the compny is set up, that may be nepotism. Many companies (and government agencies) do not allow that......husband and wife working in the same divison or unit.
Old 12-30-07, 02:54 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Depending on how the compny is set up, that may be nepotism. Many companies (and government agencies) do not allow that......husband and wife working in the same divison or unit.
It was meant to be a joke since all the homies says he's whipped. Her nickname (& she acknowledges it, lol) w/in our circle of friends is, "da boss!"
Old 12-30-07, 03:17 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

My boss drives a Mercedes CLK 430

Craig Hunt, CEO of KeysCaribbean Resorts, lives on his own private island, where he drives a '97 Land Rover Defender.
...and likely costs him more to keep running yearly than a new car would cost to buy.
Old 12-30-07, 03:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
...and likely costs him more to keep running yearly than a new car would cost to buy.
True, but the fact that he lives on a private island may indicate an acute lack of good roads, and a Land Rover, despite its unreliablity, is superb in the boonies. (Wonder if he has a private gas station on the island as well to keep it running?)
Old 12-30-07, 07:05 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Xlr

The big man around here just got a new Cadillac XLR Roadster; I hope that he got a really good deal as it was the worst selling car last year.

Quick Reply: What your CEO drives, says alot