Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Toyota Corolla: Back & Better

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 06:27 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 Toyota Corolla: Back & Better

Toyota Introduces Its 10th Corolla

The 2009 Toyota Corolla
By MAC MORRISON

Don't expect a radical departure from the past when the 10th-generation, 2009 Corolla goes on sale in February 2008. Toyota's nearly-40-year-old subcompact formula--a simple, low-frills, solid-value commuter--lays claim to the title of best-selling passenger car of all time. Toyota has sold more than 30 million worldwide since they first appeared in Japan way back in 1966.

Toyota says 33 percent of Corolla buyers return to the fold once they've passed their cars on to friends, relatives or the scrap yard. But that stat didn't stop speculation and published reports that Toyota had delayed the new car's introduction--planned originally for the 2008 model year--after executives set eyes on Honda's funky new Civic and demanded a redesign of the redesign.

Corporate officials deny that story and blame the delay on having placed other products at the top of the priority list. Whatever the truth, the new car's exterior is improved, if not as fresh and dynamic as those of competitors.
Unlike previous Corollas, which had different bodies for different markets, the new car is a global product. Designers moved the bottoms of the A-pillars forward and the C-pillars back, creating a lower roofline. The new front end, headlights and grille show some familial resemblance to the Camry, as do the various "sweep cut" lines. S and XRS models look even beefier, courtesy of a front spoiler, side rocker moldings and rear spoilers, plus 17-inch wheels and tires on the XRS. The S and XLE models come with 16-inchers, and standard and LE versions come with 15s.

Any sense that the Corolla has grown substantially is an illusion. The 102.3-inch wheelbase is unchanged, and while it is more than two inches wider, headroom, legroom and shoulder room remain roughly the same as before. Cargo volume increases by three cubic feet.

As with Corolla's platform mate, the new Matrix ("Keeping Up with the Joneses?" AW, Dec. 10), two four-cylinder engines are available (no official word yet on a hybrid version), and each offers a power jump over the previous car's 126 hp and 122 lb-ft. The all-new 1.8-liter with dual variable valve timing makes 132 hp at 6000 rpm and 128 lb-ft of torque at 4400 (the new car is heavier, so performance feels about the same). The revamped 2.4-liter (for the XRS only), which is shared with the Camry, produces 158 hp at 6000 rpm and 162 lb-ft at 4000. The smaller engine connects to either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic; the 2.4-liter uses a five-speed manual or automatic.
Driving impressions are similar to what we found in the Matrix, with the XRS standing out as the drivers' choice, thanks to a better-tuned suspension and electronic power steering, as well as four-wheel disc brakes. Unlike the Matrix, all Corollas use a torsion-beam rear suspension design rather than independent double wishbone; the Matrix XRS is the way to go if you are looking for the most driving fun.

Not that driving dynamics traditionally play a large part in the Corolla buying decision. The sedan's relatively conservative style, both inside and out, moves it ahead of the Matrix in the maturity department, especially if you check the box for leather and optional interior trim. No, it doesn't rival, say, the Mazda 3 or the Civic for flash or fun, but its upgraded style and performance will keep the loyalists coming back.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../59069503/1065
Old 12-26-07, 06:30 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate how toyota is making their cars way too similar to its Lexus counterparts

I would say it looks very similar to an IS

Old 12-26-07, 06:31 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Even the gs/ava

most def drawing from the same design
Old 12-26-07, 06:32 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
I hate how toyota is making their cars way too similar to its Lexus counterparts

Oh come on, don't start this again.
Old 12-26-07, 06:33 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Why not? Its true
Old 12-26-07, 06:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea. There is no denying that this corolla looks very much alike with the IS. If anyone can't see the resemblance, then you'll need to get your eyes checked. But the GS/avalon doesn't look too similar though. The bumper style is about the same, but that's all I see
Old 12-26-07, 06:39 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not? Its true
As time goes by every damn car is going to look like each other. Unless manufacturers make something really different/futuristic.

I can say the rear of new Civic Sedan looks like an A4.
Old 12-26-07, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker

Outside, IMO it looks too much like the Camry in front (I strongly dislike the new Camry's grille and headlights). Inside, it doesn't look much different from the current-model Corolla (which I like), except that, from the picture, it looks like it may have the same new cheap, flimsy climate-control ***** in the center of the dash that I've also criticized on the new Camry. I'll save any more comments for a review.
Old 12-26-07, 06:50 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
As time goes by every damn car is going to look like each other. Unless manufacturers make something really different/futuristic.

I can say the rear of new Civic Sedan looks like an A4.

Considering Lexus Sells at the same level as BMW or Mercedes, making cars that look so similar to their Toyota counterparts just seems so absurd. I have frowned at the blatant similarities of the ES and the camry too.

You would think they would try to differenciate them more.

For example the 2nd gen GS was a great example of them doing something completely different. So was all the years of the SC.
Old 12-26-07, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I saw an ES350 on the highway today for a while and to me it's NOTHING like the newest Camry.

As for this Corolla, first the interior looks like crap compared to a Civic for example. And how ANYONE can like the tacked on plastic bits on the bottom or think they in any way make this 'sporty' is beyond me.
Old 12-26-07, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As for this Corolla, first the interior looks like crap compared to a Civic for example. And how ANYONE can like the tacked on plastic bits on the bottom or think they in any way make this 'sporty' is beyond me.
My guess, bit, is that those lower-body trim pieces are probably the new Corolla S. The other regular-production Corolla models are not likely to have them, at least from the factory, although the limited-production XRS will probably have them and a spoiler both.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-07 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-26-07, 07:32 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well Toyota and Lexus are brother companies...
Old 12-26-07, 07:52 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

look at acura and honda, nissan and infiniti, those four also have cars that look alike, and sooner or later, lots of cars will look alike to lots of people, and good for them and if you don't see the reason that justify's buying a more expensive car that looks like a cheaper one, don't say anything, you can say that a camry looks like an es, or the lx looks exactly like a lc, but you pay extra for the things that come with the car, it's worth the price difference, believe me, but anyways, i would buy the new corolla, it's nothing flashy, but like said above, will keep the people coming back
Old 12-26-07, 08:07 PM
LexFather

[
In pics many cars look very similar. In person, the Lexus details probably are quite clear.

I too don't like how IMO, Toyota does continue and use Lexus cues but they are still trying to learn and seperate.

This new Corolla does nothing for me but then again, it shouldn't. Its basic solid good transportation for the masses. 25 million can't be wrong

Old 12-26-07, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This new Corolla does nothing for me but then again, it shouldn't. Its basic solid good transportation for the masses. 25 million can't be wrong
Too bad GM doesn't market the Geo/Chevy Prizm version of it any more. (I don't know if that was GM's marketing decision, or Toyota just refusing to give GM any more versions of the newer Corollas).

The Cobalt, though of course a better car than the sub-standard Cavalier it replaced, is probably not the equal, quality-wise, of what a new Corolla/Prizm would be.

Quick Reply: 2009 Toyota Corolla: Back & Better