Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Toyota Corolla: Back & Better

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 09:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I like those climate control buttons better.
those are the automatic climate control buttons. They're shown on the Canadian Corolla
Old 12-27-07, 10:04 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
This is so cheap looking it isn't funny.

IMO the Taiwanese one only looks nicer because of high resolution pics. Plus I like the 3 spoke steering wheel better.
Old 12-27-07, 11:32 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really, drink. Wood trim or not, drive a Corolla, and then drive an LS, and I guarantee you that you will notice a difference.

I know, you are right. But, it just takes away something special that only luxury cars used to have. A lot like HID headlights. They used to only be on Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc... and now you can get them on many cars.
Old 12-27-07, 11:34 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on what you want in a car. The Mazda 3 has less body roll, will handle circles around most Corollas, and has better steering feel, but at the distinct loss of ride comfort. The 3 also offers a nice versatile hatchback body style.....the Corolla does not in the American market (you have to get a Matrix for that).
Agreed. The last time I drove the Mazda 3 as a rental, I was VERY impressed with the handling. Maybe it's because I drive a behemoth every day, but even compared to other small cars, it was impressive.
Old 12-28-07, 10:17 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

you guys have to understannd also, not everyone who buys this car is going to be racing round corners and caring about the handling, i bet a majority of people who buy this car are either old, or just people who want reliable motoring, not sure if i spelled that right, but i don't care lol
Old 12-28-07, 10:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
you guys have to understannd also, not everyone who buys this car is going to be racing round corners and caring about the handling, i bet a majority of people who buy this car are either old, or just people who want reliable motoring...
Let's post some figures regarding the '07 Corolla: J.D. Power and Associates Link

Age Profile:

Ages 16-35: 37%
Ages 36-55: 39%
Ages 56+: 24%

Gender Profile:

Male: 46%
Female: 54%

Therefore, in general, Corolla buyers are spread in all age groups and between both genders. The Corolla appeals to the masses, not young males that want sport and performance. The Corolla appeals to those who know that it's a reliable car that provides value. That's the magic of the Corolla...
Old 12-28-07, 10:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

This is so cheap looking it isn't funny.

streets arent big enough for a bunch of people to drive camrys in taiwan, therefore they have to make the corolla more upscale. Dont like the corolla here, buy a camry
Old 12-28-07, 11:14 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
streets arent big enough for a bunch of people to drive camrys in taiwan, therefore they have to make the corolla more upscale. Dont like the corolla here, buy a camry
I know, but it simply still doesn't justify the use of peanut-butter-lid-grade plastic dials in the center console. They simply look horrifically cheap and not befitting Toyota's image for quality.
Old 12-28-07, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I know, but it simply still doesn't justify the use of peanut-butter-lid-grade plastic dials in the center console. They simply look horrifically cheap and not befitting Toyota's image for quality.
I've tried them out on a new Camry. They FEEL even cheaper than they look.....trust me.
Old 12-28-07, 11:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just noticed the new Corolla has push button start.. Does the Mazda 3 and others in this segment offer push button start?
Old 12-28-07, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I just noticed the new Corolla has push button start.. Does the Mazda 3 and others in this segment offer push button start?
The last Mazda3 I drove did not....and I don't know any other cars in this class that do. The closest one I know of is the optional remote starter key/button/fob for the Chevy Malibu (see my review) that allows you to start the car from a short distance away (like inside the house).
But the Malibu is considered one step above this class of car.....the Cobalt would be a more accurate comparison.
Old 12-28-07, 01:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I'd take honda civic over this anyday. It's sad to see USDM corolla are complete POS compare to what other countries around the world get, esp JDM corollas.
Old 12-28-07, 03:19 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the inside reminds me of a RX
Old 12-28-07, 03:26 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a is350 and i drive around like i'm a granny in a rolla, if you drink enough beers, squint your eyes and tilt your head, my IS looks like a rolla too
Old 12-28-07, 04:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Cant say I was a fan of any Corolla. But for such a car with the highest sales in history, I would have thought Toyota would have given it a much better update to reflect its supremacy in this market. I must agree with C&D, this is a subpar update.

Quick Reply: 2009 Toyota Corolla: Back & Better