Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM must purge pickup glut

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 04:52 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM must purge pickup glut

Production cuts ahead; incentives likely to increase
Jamie LaReau
Automotive News
December 24, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — General Motors plans to chop pickup production in January, but it may be too late to avoid a fire sale.

As of Dec. 1, inventories of the Chevrolet Silverado (153 days supply) and GMC Sierra (150 days) were bloated despite $5,000 rebates on 2007 models.

The market for full-sized pickups has been soft since the housing industry went bust. But inventories of rival brands Ford, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan are closer to the industry norm of 60 days.

As of Dec. 1, Chevrolet had 233,800 unsold Silverados, which is not a huge increase over its inventory of 219,600 units a month earlier. So what went wrong? When demand went soft, GM hesitated to trim production of the Silverado. The restyled 2008 model, which arrived in showrooms in November 2006, was still in its first year.

Too many pickups

Here are pickup inventories as of Dec. 1. A 60-day supply is considered ideal.

Code:
Chevy Silverado 233,800 - 153 days
GMC Sierra 82,900 - 150 days
Dodge Ram 117,200 - 120 days
Ford F series 186,100 - 100 days
Nissan Titan 21,100 - 105 days
* The Toyota Tundra is not listed because Toyota does not report inventory levels for individual vehicles.
Source: Automotive News Data Center

Too slow to cut

GM "clearly overproduced," says auto analyst John Casesa, a principal of the Casesa Shapiro Group in New York. "The weak market caught them by surprise. If the market was stable, their days supply should only be up by 10 percent, but the market weakened materially in November."

Chevrolet probably will have to boost incentives and advertising to unload those vehicles. "They have a lot of cash on the trucks, and now they have to spend a lot of money to advertise it to get the customer to bite," Casesa says. "They just have too many trucks to clear in the first quarter if they don't do it in December."

GM is coaxing dealers to order more trucks, and one dealer says he is feeling the heat.

Ken Fichtner, owner of Fichtner Chevrolet in Laurel, Mont., says he took an additional 10 Silverados last month, at GM's request.. This month GM asked him to take an additional 20 trucks, and he said no.

"I am sitting on a 13-month supply right now," Fichtner says. "They wanted me to go to an 18-month supply but we only sell 10 a month, and I'm in the heart of truck country!"

Fichtner blames slow sales on stingy rebates; Casesa notes that Chevy did not offer aggressive incentives on the Silverado until the third quarter. Currently, GM offers $1,000 on the 2008 Silverado and up to $5,000 on the 2007 version.

The pickup pack

Here are the top-selling full-sized pickups through November, with the percentage change from 2006.

Code:
Ford F series 635,520 –12.4% 
Chevrolet Silverado 564,697 –3.3% 
Dodge Ram 326,177 –1.5% 
GMC Sierra 188,461 –2.5% 
Toyota Tundra 177,336 58.30%

Slash production

GM had little to say last week about its plans to reduce inventories. "Production exceeded demand for a period of time," said company spokes-man Terry Rhadigan.

But GM's January production schedule speaks volumes. GM plans a two-week shutdown of its truck plants in Oshawa, Ontario; Pontiac, Mich.; and Fort Wayne, Ind. And when those plants resume production, GM will eliminate a shift at Pontiac and Oshawa.

"Ford actually went ahead and closed some plants in December, whereas GM is waiting until January," says Haig Stoddard, an auto production analyst for Global Insight in suburban Detroit. "It's safe to say that GM overproduced."
The message you have entered is too short.
Old 12-26-07, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
The message you have entered is too short.

I wouldn't say so. That's a pretty long post.
Old 12-26-07, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fichtner blames slow sales on stingy rebates; Casesa notes that Chevy did not offer aggressive incentives on the Silverado until the third quarter.
Bingo. There's the main problem. GM, for years, has been used to seeing massive Silverado/Sienna sales.......up there with the enormous numbers of the Ford F-150. But nothing lasts forever, especially with the bad housing market that is causing a lot of people to rethink major vehicle purchases. Under conditions like that, sometimes you have to discount your products whether you want to or not.
Old 12-26-07, 09:27 PM
LexFather

Honda Ridgeline - 235 days

Laughable to look at and buy.

Old 12-26-07, 09:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

* The Toyota Tundra is not listed because Toyota does not report inventory levels for individual vehicles.
Now, I know there were a lot of incentives for the Tundra earlier this year. I wonder how they compare?
Old 12-27-07, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Honda Ridgeline - 235 days

Laughable to look at and buy.
I'll agree the awkward styling isn't my cup of tea either, but it's hard to fault its build quality. It has a unibody structure COMBINED with a boxed-rail ladder frame...no other light-duty truck in the American market I know of has that feature. Nor do they have the sealed, all-weather, under-bed compartment the Ridgeline does.
Old 12-31-07, 06:32 AM
Torched
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the market for a new truck so maybe the incentives will get better for the o8 s .. Looking for a chevy or gmc
Old 12-31-07, 07:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Torched
I'm in the market for a new truck so maybe the incentives will get better for the o8 s .. Looking for a chevy or gmc
Definately.

However, you can probably get a kickass deal for an '07 right now. Have you done your research yet?
Old 12-31-07, 11:27 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Im glad Im not a worker at one of those plants.
Old 12-31-07, 11:38 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Tundra is in my future plans for sure, one of the latest Newsweek has an article on Ghosn where he mentioned eliminating the Titan to improve the company bottom line.
Old 12-31-07, 02:34 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Definately.

However, you can probably get a kickass deal for an '07 right now. Have you done your research yet?
Definitely! BTW definitely has no a in it. Today is the last day to get a killer deal before the year is over...
Old 12-31-07, 02:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Trexus
Definitely! BTW definitely has no a in it. Today is the last day to get a killer deal before the year is over...
Thanks for the speling lesson...

And BTW, most '07s have not only price mark-downs, but also 0% APR for up to 72 months!
Old 12-31-07, 08:42 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Big Two have relied on truck and SUV sales for many years now.

Times change.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Fewer gas guzzlers on the road is a good thing.
Old 01-01-08, 06:42 PM
AlexusAnja

I think the problem is that GM in general has too many makes under it's wing, GMAC, Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, etc. It dilutes the whole corporation and creates in-fighting. I don't believe that there is a "Ford" corporation equivalent to the Ford F-series trucks. So, if you want a Ford truck, you get the "F" but if you want a GM, you have several choices, which may not necessarily be good because then GM has to "predict" industry trends to which make to make more trucks, and which less.
Old 01-01-08, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Im glad Im not a worker at one of those plants.
Well technically, they probably have slow shifts and are not busy since they don't need to build any more trucks technically.

A reason GM/Ford is always in trouble, AWFUL forecasting. They need to limit truck production.

You end up having years of inventory, you end up pissing dealers off, you end up destroying your financials.

Quick Reply: GM must purge pickup glut