Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who wants to see pop-up lights on new cars again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 04:31 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wants to see pop-up lights on new cars again?

I miss the pop-up lights which were very popular on many sports cars in the 80s and early 90s such as Mazda RX-7, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Corvette, etc.....But right now all the headlights become fixed ones, not that I don't like them, but I still want to see a few new sports car with automatic pop-up headlights with HIDs. I know it might not be good for drag coefficient, but when everybody doesn't do it, you would look special when you do. And may be the automakers could think about a crystal/transparent shell for the headlights. when the car is off and when the headlights are off, it looks just like regular headlights similar to C6 Corvette's, but once the headlights are turned on, the headlights flip 360 degrees and becomes a pop-up lights with transparent shells, wow it might look nice(I think). Yeah it would increase the production cost and endanger the long-term reliability, but still I wish to see something like it in the future. What do you think? A bad idea or not?
Old 12-21-07, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, dunno, i have actually never been a fan of them. even on the nsx, one of my most fav cars with flip up headlights, i don't like it either. prefer the 03+ one a lot more
Old 12-21-07, 04:34 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

I think this could be implemented in a low volume specialty car. But for mass production, I don't see why having a redundant headlight makes sense. IMO, put the cost and dev into the powertrain . I do however share your opinion on these flip up headlights in that they are 7h3 s3x!
Old 12-21-07, 04:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They looked decent on the NSX and 8 series, but I think the newer style NSX looks better with fixed headlights. What I would like though, is for manufacturers to start making glass headlights housing like they used to, instead of using plastic.
Old 12-21-07, 05:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you can come up with a modern day version of a pop-up headlight. i.e. think outside the box, esp. now you have LEDs to play around with.
Old 12-21-07, 05:25 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I absolutely LOVE the look of the NSX when the headlights are flipped down, but when they pop up it kinda ruins the overall look. You have 2 squares that pop up and obstruct the otherwise sleek lines of the NSX.

I do like the clean "shaved" look when the headlights are covered so maybe they could come up with a "sliding" mechanism or something to hide the headlights when not in use.
Old 12-21-07, 05:52 PM
Sc.ab
Pole Position

Loved the pop up headlights on my 5th gen Celica
Old 12-21-07, 07:26 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Pop-up headlights existed because it was a stylish alternative to the standard square,rectangle, or round fixtures that were on every car at the time and were not really design elements but rather there for necessity.

Now, exposed headlights are one of the main styling points on a car and can be done in any shape imaginable.
Old 12-21-07, 07:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, dunno, i have actually never been a fan of them. even on the nsx, one of my most fav cars with flip up headlights, i don't like it either. prefer the 03+ one a lot more
It's the opposite for me, I like the NSX with the hidden headlights a lot more
Old 12-21-07, 08:19 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a picture of me driving my best friends 91 NSX. I love the hidden lights beneath the hood. At night when they are in the up position it doesn't look bad, but could definitely use some HID or LED technology.

Old 12-21-07, 08:27 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe aerodynamics had something to do with the demise of pop up lights. I like both the old and new NSX front end. Caymandive's picture, is Knight Rider like, and I guess I like the new one cause it looked modern.
Old 12-21-07, 08:44 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I'm another fan of pop-up headlights, and I think the NSX looked significantly better with them. It was one of my favorite features of my old Saturn coupes, too!
Old 12-21-07, 08:47 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i love the sleepy eye mod with the flip up lights, so baller.
Old 12-22-07, 06:40 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexHiD
Maybe aerodynamics had something to do with the demise of pop up lights.
Oh absolutely. But, boy did I enjoy them on my Prelude. They were just so cool.
Old 12-22-07, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexHiD
Maybe aerodynamics had something to do with the demise of pop up lights.
There's no "maybe" about it. That is EXACTLY the reason. With the larger, older-generation lights and bulbs, you pretty much had to drop them down below the hoodline to get any real increase in aerodynamics. That is not the case wih most of the headlights that are in use today. They are much smaller, more efficient, can be molded into slick aerodynamic shapes, and don't need those big, bulky, cumbersome doors to flip them down. In additition, those doors, their linkages, and the electric motors needed to run them, were a pain in the a**............they were constantly breaking down, even on otherwise reliable cars. For example, how many older-generation Miatas, Capris, Corvettes, etc..... have you seen running around with one of the doors stuck down and one up, looking like a one-eyed frog?

Quick Reply: Who wants to see pop-up lights on new cars again?