Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When Toyota had balls.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 11:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumors are rumors, I will believe it when I see it. I'll be shocked if the FT-86 is branded as a Scion. The FT-86 concept is marketed as a Toyota. In Gran Turismo 5, the concept is a Toyota brand car.

Akio Toyoda has stated repeatedly that he is committed to change Toyota's image for the better and to bring more fun and sporty products to the lineup. IMHO Mr. Toyoda definitely wants the FT-86 to be branded as a Toyota worldwide, including in the US, and not as a Scion.
Old 01-02-11, 12:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Toyota is not alone, with the exception of a handful of "performance" models (halo cars), most manufacturers have opted for building "appliances" that they can sell in volume. Look at the manufacturers that went broke producing high-end performance machines: Jaguar, Ferrari, Aston-Martin, and Lamborghini - most of which were gobbled up by larger companies seeking a halo marque, or have jacked the MSRP of their exotics into the stratosphere enabling them to survive on the sale of a few hundred examples per year. Porsche, Lancia, and Alfa are desperately seeking a sub $50K car they can sell to the masses that won't tarnish their upscale ultra-performance image without creating a sub-brand.

Maybe Ford has it right. The current Mustang coupe with a powerful 3.7L V6, 6-MT, Performance Package with a number of functional go-fast goodies, including springs, strut tower braces, brakes, and decent rubber, goes out the door for just a tick over $25K locally. There is a practical, well equipped car with a nice turn of performance for a reasonable price. The big plus here is that it is within reach of the masses, putting Ford solidly in line for some nice sales numbers. No, it's not a Supra, but it's no Camry either. Toyota, take note.
Its clear Americans pay for American coupes. The Mustang, Camaro, Challanger DOMINATE coupe sales, nothing is close. To be honest its kind of scary for the future FT-86.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think that contrary to speculation and rumors, the FT-86 will indeed be branded Toyota. Would be idiotic to brand it a scion imo, but that's another story. Guess we'll see come November-December.
Yeah, they already have the tC. Makes no sense.

Old 01-02-11, 03:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Yeah, they already have the tC. Makes no sense.
Exactly...not to mention, it will throw the affordable Scion "Pure Price" strategy out the door. $30k Scion? No thanks.
Old 01-02-11, 05:01 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You can re-write the Constitution, the bottom line is you cannot sit here and talk about how bad Toyota is and on the other hand say how great Acura is. They both lack complete nuts.

I clearly state Toyota is complete blah for a mainstream compnay and Acura is complete blah for a luxury brand company. Toyota has no sports cars, Acura has no coupes and no V-8s and remains mostly FWD. Ironically, Toyota has V-8s and pretty much everything an Acura does.

Don't call out Toyota unless you call out Acura.
Sure both brands are bland, the difference being that Toyota can actually sell cars, while Acura fails at at!
Old 01-03-11, 10:25 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
no kidding, mike, you are right... toyota is definitely on the boring side now

but seems like lexus is heading in the right direction, i can only pray
Lexus is mostly boring also with the exception of the LFA and you can say IS-F but IMO they need to make a manual version of it.
Old 01-03-11, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335d
Lexus is mostly boring also with the exception of the LFA and you can say IS-F but IMO they need to make a manual version of it.
i am not sure if manual will make that big of a difference, amg are selling just fine. though i can see manual getting a few enthusiasts like me excited.

lexus is mostly boring now, but that's why i said they are heading the right direction with lfa and isf, and i am pretty sure more to come
Old 01-03-11, 12:06 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I miss the good old days when Toyota didn't suck and made REAL cars. I honestly don't think they'll come out with a serious sports car unless Honda comes out with something that sells well. They also Need to make a new Lexus SC.
Old 01-03-11, 12:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
I miss the good old days when Toyota didn't suck and made REAL cars. I honestly don't think they'll come out with a serious sports car unless Honda comes out with something that sells well. They also Need to make a new Lexus SC.
Wouldn't the FT-86 count as a "serious" sports car, or do you mean something more along the lines of a Supra replacement?
Old 01-03-11, 12:09 PM
LexFather

(looks at thread title)

It says Toyota. Shall I post pics of lovely unsporting 3 door 1 series cars and 150hp 5 series sedans with plump 60 series tires? Or maybe that 80% of 1 series drivers think their cars are FWD?

Old 01-03-11, 12:33 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(looks at thread title)

It says Toyota. Shall I post pics of lovely unsporting 3 door 1 series cars and 150hp 5 series sedans with plump 60 series tires? Or maybe that 80% of 1 series drivers think their cars are FWD?
Toyota and Lexus are pretty synonymous to me. Why does everything need to be BMW vs Lexus here? Don't pick on me for saying Lexus, I was replying to Rominl who mentioned them first.

"but seems like lexus is heading in the right direction, i can only pray"

I didn't post anything comparing BMW. But if you want to, the steering feel makes their cars feel much more sporty than their "disconnected" counterparts. Not to mention most of those low hp cars come in manual.
Old 01-03-11, 01:27 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wouldn't the FT-86 count as a "serious" sports car, or do you mean something more along the lines of a Supra replacement?
This is a good question for those wanting Toyota to bring a 'sportscar' to market. Does it need to be a true, singularly focused, fire-breathing track monster, or more a matter of a 'sport-oriented' car.

For those that want the Supra back, well I'm guessing that nothing short of a GT-R contender will do. And to this I say: don't hold your breath! It would have to be priced out of the Toyota line-up, and moved into the Lexus stable. Lexus already has a halo car in the LF-A, so it's kind of a moot point at the moment. Would be nice, but don't see this happening.

Now a "sport-oriented" car, on the other hand, would be IMHO, much more realistic. The Celica had this nailed down. Fun to drive, competent performance, usable as a daily driver, relatively economical, and a price point that made it affordable for the majority of car buyers. And there were trim levels, and performance packages that gave it a broad appeal. Your sister could buy a base model, and have a 'cute' sportscar, and you could buy a GTS, and go auto-x'ing or do track days. If Toyota plays it's hand right, the FT-86 could be just that.

THIS is what is truly missing from Toyota's line-up. A sporty platform that can pull double duty, that people actually want and can afford. This is what made the Japanese classics of the late 80's and early 90's so successful. It wasn't high HP monsters, it was affordable daily-drivers that were extraordinary cars to drive. Everyone was happy - the enthusiasts had affordable fun, the general public had reliable cars, and the corporate bean counters saw profits - all from the same basic platforms.
Old 01-03-11, 01:47 PM
LexFather

Toyota and Lexus are pretty synonymous to me. Why does everything need to be BMW vs Lexus here? Don't pick on me for saying Lexus, I was replying to Rominl who mentioned them first.

"but seems like lexus is heading in the right direction, i can only pray"

I didn't post anything comparing BMW. But if you want to, the steering feel makes their cars feel much more sporty than their "disconnected" counterparts. Not to mention most of those low hp cars come in manual.
Key words "TO ME". We are discussing the lack of sports cars for Toyota, not Lexus in this thread.

Old 01-03-11, 01:50 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Rumors are rumors, I will believe it when I see it. I'll be shocked if the FT-86 is branded as a Scion. The FT-86 concept is marketed as a Toyota. In Gran Turismo 5, the concept is a Toyota brand car.

Akio Toyoda has stated repeatedly that he is committed to change Toyota's image for the better and to bring more fun and sporty products to the lineup. IMHO Mr. Toyoda definitely wants the FT-86 to be branded as a Toyota worldwide, including in the US, and not as a Scion.
i agree. I went to the san diego autoshow this weekend and Toyota NEEDS a sporty coupe
Old 01-03-11, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jadu
i agree. I went to the san diego autoshow this weekend and Toyota NEEDS a sporty coupe THAT IS RWD
Fixed Or we might a 2 door Avalon