Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exactly what is the whole VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Bentley Bugatti relationship?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 09:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exactly what is the whole VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Bentley Bugatti relationship?

I always hear so much about part, platform, and engine sharing between all of these companies but I can never quite figure out who owns who or who shares what...

...can anyone shed some light on the family tree?
Old 12-13-07, 09:23 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche owns x-amount of VW atm.

VW > Audi (Lamborghini / Bentley) + Bugatti

Audi > Lamborghini / Bentley

I think it goes like that.

In the future it be like.

Porsche > VW > Audi

Something like that.
Old 12-13-07, 09:24 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VW Auto Group owns VW, Audi, Lambo, Bentley and Bugatti (as well as SEAT and Skoda).
Porsche owns 30.9% stake in VW Auto Group.
Old 12-13-07, 09:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that VW and Audi/Porsche share a lot of things.

Is it safe to say that their relationship is similar to Toyota-Lexus, or does it go beyond that?

For example, is Camry-ES and Highlander-RX platform sharing the same as Passat-A4 and Toureg-Cayenne platform sharing?
Old 12-13-07, 09:53 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I believe it goes further beyond Toyota/Lexus. While there is definitely starting to be some differentiation between Toyota and Lexus, VW and Audi have a more distinct relationship between themselves. Their headquarters are in different cities (Wolfsburg vs Ingolstadt) whereas there is no actual seperate Lexus HQ in Japan. From what I understand, Audi has a pretty good level of autonomy in making decisions whereas all decisions for anything pertaining to a vehicle with a Lexus badge on it is by the Toyota executives.
Old 12-13-07, 10:33 AM
LexFather

Very good thread.
VW is the parent company, which became famous for its "Beetle" who was championed by Hitler.
Mr. Porsche's first vehicles used many VW parts. The two companies have had a relationship for decades, including family members running the 2 different organizations. (Fernindad Peirch is Mr. Porsche's grandson)
Good read here:
Porsche now has a majority stake in VW at 30%.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n18759527

Volkswagen owns:
-Audi
-Bentley
-Bugatti
-Lamborghini
-SEAT
-Skoda
-Volkswagen

Old 12-13-07, 10:36 AM
LexFather

As for relationships (correct me if I am wrong)
Think of the "Golf" as the "camry" platform. Tons of vehicles are built of this platform (well its called the Rabbit now in the states).

Good read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_A_platform

A1

A1 platform cars:

* VW Rabbit Convertible/Cabriolet
* VW Golf/Rabbit I
* VW Jetta I
* Volkswagen Caddy (pickup truck)
* VW Scirocco I
* VW Scirocco II

[edit] A2

A2 platform cars:

* Volkswagen Corrado
* VW Golf II
* VW Jetta II
* SEAT Toledo I

[edit] A3

A3 platform cars:

* Volkswagen Cabrio
* VW Golf III
* VW Jetta/Vento III

The Polo 6N (A03 platform) is based on the A3 platform as well, and shares many components.

The SEAT Ibiza II (6K) is also based on this platform, sharing many parts and components.

[edit] A4 (PQ34)

A4 platform cars:

* Audi A3 I
* Audi TT I
* VW Golf IV
* VW Bora/Jetta IV
* VW New Beetle
* SEAT León
* SEAT Toledo II
* Skoda Octavia

[edit] A5 (PQ35)

The PQ35 platform is designed to be more modular and flexible than previous A platforms. For the first time, a fully independent suspension will be present in all A platform vehicles. There is also a derivative version of this platform (with larger variations expected in the future) called PQ46.

PQ35 is intended for compact-size vehicles, and PQ46 is an enlarged version for mid-size vehicles, such as the VW Passat. A common misconception is to call the PQ46 generation of the Passat the "B6" Passat. However, this is confusing, as this transverse-engined Passat has little in common with the longitudinally-engined "B6" Audi A4.

Current and expected PQ35 platform cars:

* 2003 Audi A3 II
* 2003 Volkswagen Touran
* 2004 Volkswagen Caddy
* 2004 SEAT Altea
* 2004 VW Golf/Rabbit V
* 2005 Skoda Octavia II
* 2005 SEAT Toledo III
* 2006 VW Jetta/Vento/Bora V
* 2006 SEAT León II
* 2007 VW Eos
* 2007 Audi TT II
* 2008 Volkswagen Tiguan (compact crossover SUV)

Current PQ46 platform cars:

* 2006 Volkswagen Passat

Old 12-13-07, 10:40 AM
LexFather

Here is a list of all their platforms. A big one was the VW Phaeton and Bentley Continental use the same platform (and engine in W12 form). That is why some feel the Phaeton was one of the grandest bargains made, but prospective buyers dismissed such an expensive VW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...agen_platforms

Now you have the Lambo connection.

The Gallardo V-10 is in the S8 but detuned and looks to be going in the R8 soon. Lambo officials publically state they like the fact they help Audi, as Audi has helped Lambo from a build and feature standpoint.

VW bought Lambo in 1998
http://lamborghiniregistry.com/News/News1.html
Lambo has never sold better with only 2 models. No 3rd model is planned.

Old 12-13-07, 10:42 AM
LexFather

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3698

Cool article comparing the same V-10 in 2 cars, the Gallardo Spyder and S8.

Old 12-13-07, 12:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Now if only Porsche will get its DSG in its models faster because of its ownership in VW............
Old 12-13-07, 12:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Now if only Porsche will get its DSG in its models faster because of its ownership in VW............
Agreed, it has to do with the power, the DSG system currently used would not be reliable in a Porsche.

I am certain when Porsche's DSG comes out, it will be a techno marvel...as an automatic turbo is faster than a manual one!!

Old 12-13-07, 12:41 PM
LexFather

Relationship with Volkswagen
Schematic of Porsche's extended financial relationships.

The company has always had a close relationship with Volkswagen, and as noted above, the first Porsche cars used many Volkswagen components. The two companies collaborated in 1969 to make the VW-Porsche 914 and 914-6 whereby the 914-6 had a Porsche engine and the 914 had a Volkswagen engine, in 1976 with the Porsche 912E (USA only) and the Porsche 924, which used many Audi components and was built at an Audi Neckarsulm factory. Most 944s also were built there although they used far fewer VW components. The Cayenne, introduced in 2002, shares its entire chassis with VW Touareg, which is built at the factory in Bratislava. Both Audi and Škoda are wholly owned subsidiaries of Volkswagen. In late 2005, Porsche took an 18.65% stake in VW, further cementing their relationship and preventing a takeover of Volkswagen, which was rumored at the time. Speculated suitors included DaimlerChrysler, BMW, and Renault.

On 26 March, 2007 Porsche took its holding of Volkswagen shares to 30.9%, triggering a takeover bid under German law. Porsche formally announced in a press statement that it did not intend to take over Volkswagen (it would set its offer price at the lowest possible legal value), but intended the move to avoid a competitor taking a large stake or to stop hedge funds dismantling VW, which is Porsche's most important partner.[6] Porsche's move comes after the European Union moved against a German law that protected VW from takeovers. Under the so-called "Volkswagen Law", any shareholder in VW cannot exercise more than 20% of the firm's voting rights, regardless of their level of stock holding. The European Court of Justice struck the law down on October 23, 2007, potentially paving the way for a takeover.[7]

Old 12-13-07, 12:45 PM
LexFather

On Ferdinad Porsche
http://www.autohistory.org/feature_6.html
on his son "Ferry"
http://www.speedace.info/volkswagen_...he_history.htm

Old 12-13-07, 12:54 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

For a even more enlightening experience, climb under a Bentley CGT circa 05. There are audi logos EVERYWHERE! On the suspension stampings, even on the lugnuts!! Also you can take the radio out of a 06+ Lambo Gallardo and put in almost any Audi dash with no problem!

It may make for funny little trivia like that, but in all honesty VW / AUDI have made Bentley / Lamborghini much better vehicles. Exotics used to be tempremental, unreliable, overheating beasts, while the Bentley's were wheezy land yachts. I have personally drove a Gallardo throught the streets of NYC, traffic, potholes and all with nary a hiccup.

Same for the Bentley, put 22's on it, upped the HP to over 600hp, slammed it and drove around pothole capitol Brooklyn, NY never a stumble. They are very reliable (more so than the MB's that we had on the show squad at that time).
Old 12-13-07, 12:57 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Relationship with Volkswagen

YOU................ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Exactly what is the whole VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Bentley Bugatti relationship?