Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DuPont Global Color Popularity Ratings for Cars-white replaces silver as most popular

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 10:38 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silver is much easier to keep clean (especially during the winter) and it doesn't show scratches or blemishes. When it is clean I think it looks quite good actually.
Old 12-10-07, 11:13 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

heh, at Toyota of Escondido back in 1993 they had a ugly yellow Toyota Previa. The sales guys told us when we bought our Pearl White previa that they had a contest that who ever could sell the yellow one would get Employee of the Year. Well a few monthes later it was gone, and they said this weird lady bought it. The color combo is so rare I can't even find a pic on Google or autotrader.

It was the ugliest yellow and on that car, wow
Old 12-10-07, 11:37 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
heh, at Toyota of Escondido back in 1993 they had a ugly yellow Toyota Previa. The sales guys told us when we bought our Pearl White previa that they had a contest that who ever could sell the yellow one would get Employee of the Year.
Haha, that's great
Old 01-23-08, 01:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb White displaces silver as most manufactured car color

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...Nob3QtY29sb3Jz

White Hot

Silver loses its long-held top spot as the most popular car color.

After seven years wearing the color crown, silver has been dethroned.

For the first time this century, more white cars were manufactured in 2007 than those in any other color, according to DuPont’s most recent color study.

In North America, 19 percent of vehicles manufactured in 2007 were either white or "pearl white," which is white with an iridescent or metallic sheen. Eighteen percent of 2007 vehicles were silver, and 16 percent were black, including black with metallic effects.

White has also taken a decisive lead in other countries, including Japan and Mexico. In Europe, however, black was far and away the top color. See the charts below for the full breakdown.

White had an even stronger showing among luxury cars, where it made up 22 percent of vehicles manufactured in 2007 (5 percent of those were pearl white) and tied with the color black. Silver was the next most common color for luxury cars in 2007, at 20 percent. "Our report is based on quantities of paint sold to OEMs [original equipment manufacturers], production data they share with us, and other sources,” says DuPont spokesperson Rick Straitman.

The color white is increasingly dominant, not just in the auto industry, but in home furnishings, fashion, consumer products, and industrial design, says Leatrice Eiseman, director of the Pantone Color Institute.

White was the most popular color among Chevrolet and Ford buyers, according to J.D. Power and Associates' Power Information Network, which tracks consumers’ buying habits. Dodge buyers preferred red, while BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz buyers gravitated toward black.
Attached Thumbnails DuPont Global Color Popularity Ratings for Cars-white replaces silver as most popular-autos_content_landing_pages-490867916-1200696243.jpg  
Old 01-23-08, 02:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

easiest color to keep clean and look new after several years
Old 01-23-08, 02:21 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I read a similar article recently that said white always becomes the dominant color for a few years between other trends. People get tired of what had been popular and retreat to what's safe.
Old 01-23-08, 02:43 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Great... just when I thought I would try a color that wasn't the norm (silver).....
Old 01-23-08, 02:59 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
easiest color to keep clean and look new after several years
only perception, not reality

Black is my favorite color followed by Graphite then Silver and White
Old 01-23-08, 03:08 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've always thought white was a safe choice...especially given how great the Lexus white looks...

and how clean BMW's Alpine White is....
Old 01-23-08, 03:24 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Remember how white was "cool" on cell phones and computers a couple
of years ago?

Now... not so much.

White and silver, while easy to maintain and keep clean looking, are a total yawn.
Old 01-23-08, 03:29 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Remember how white was "cool" on cell phones and computers a couple
of years ago?

Now... not so much.

White and silver, while easy to maintain and keep clean looking, are a total yawn.
I don't always think that holds true for white. Much like the area you live in, there are an absurd number of exotics here in South Florida. I've seen a handful of white F430's, Gallardos, 997 GT3's and Murcielagos and let me tell you... there is nothing boring about white in an exotic!
Old 01-23-08, 04:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
only perception, not reality

Black is my favorite color followed by Graphite then Silver and White
i can neglect drying a white car after a carwash and you cant tell it has waterspots unless you get really close. White hides swirls far better. Id love to see those happen on a dark car with the same maintainence levels as a light color
Old 01-23-08, 05:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts

Silver cars are usually invisible to me on the road even on most of my most desired car models ...
Old 01-23-08, 05:25 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My first color choice was Starfire pearl or White. I couldnt find it in the bay area during the December to Remember event. I had to settle for Silver but overall im satisfied but will always the White. White looks really clean....
Old 01-23-08, 05:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i can neglect drying a white car after a carwash and you cant tell it has waterspots unless you get really close. White hides swirls far better. Id love to see those happen on a dark car with the same maintainence levels as a light color
+1

I've owned exactly 1 black car and NEVER EVER again....PIA to maintain it...silver and white from now on! classic colors that will look "in" forever.

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Silver cars are usually invisible to me on the road even on most of my most desired car models ...
a beautifully designed car doesn't need a bright tacky color.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-23-08 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: DuPont Global Color Popularity Ratings for Cars-white replaces silver as most popular