Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BRABUS SLR Roadster World Debut in Essen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 08:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default BRABUS SLR Roadster World Debut in Essen

Old 11-30-07, 08:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Press Release

Is it possible to make a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Roadster even more exclusive and individual? BRABUS proves that the topless Mercedes supercar can be made even sportier and more exciting with its sophisticated customization program.

To give the two-seater even more striking looks while at the same time minimizing lift on the front axle, the BRABUS designers have developed a front spoiler that attaches to the production bumper. The spoiler is made from exposed carbon fiber and its shape was fine-tuned in the wind tunnel. It is especially lightweight and extremely tough. A corresponding BRABUS rear diffuser made from exposed carbon fiber can replace its production counterpart.

The sporty BRABUS outfit for the SLR Roadster is dominated by BRABUS Monoblock VI 20-inch wheels that fill the wheel houses perfectly. The fully polished multi-piece wheels feature six double spokes and are mounted on the sports car in size 9.5Jx20 in front and size 11.5Jx20 on the rear axle. High-performance tires in sizes 255/30 ZR 20 and 305/25 ZR 20 are supplied by BRABUS technology partners Pirelli and YOKOMAMA. This low-profile tire/wheel combination is custom-tailored for the SLR coupe and roadster and benefits not only the car's appearance but also its handling.

Thus equipped the topless SLR is ready for some additional power provided by BRABUS engine tuning. The power tuning for the supercharged 5.5-liter (335.5 cu. in.) engine consists of special camshafts, a fuel cooling system and a high-performance exhaust. With BRABUS tuning, power output of the V8 compressor engine increases by 24 hp (23 hp SAE net) / 18 kW to 650 hp (641 hp SAE net) / 478 kW at 6,500 rpm.

BRABUS also offers a special clutch-type limited-slip differential with a locking rate of 40 percent. It further optimizes traction and improves acceleration performance of the super sports car. The tuned roadster sprints to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 3.6 seconds and reaches a top speed of 337 km/h (209 mph).

Precision handwork down to the last detail characterizes the exclusive BRABUS interior design for the two-seater. The company-own upholstery shop specializes in fulfilling just about any request from discriminating SLR owners when it comes to customizing the interior. That includes a multitude of leather types and colors as well as custom upholstery designs.

An unusual BRABUS specialty is the waffle-patterned leather carpeting in the SLR's footwells. Some 7,800 meters (25,600 feet) of the finest thread are sewn with utmost precision for it alone.

A sporty and functional BRABUS option is the ergonomically shaped sport steering wheel that is flattened on the bottom for markedly easier entering and exiting of the vehicle. The steering wheel features integrated buttons for manual shifting of the SLR's automatic transmission.

Sporty BRABUS carbon-fiber applications for dashboard, center console and door trim transfer the racing look of the BRABUS body components into the interior. The exposed carbon-fiber trim can be color-coordinated with the leather color of the interior.
Old 11-30-07, 08:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Old 11-30-07, 08:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of all the comments I can think of, I must say:

I like the leather floor mats.
Old 11-30-07, 08:41 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The door frames look really stupid on a roadster.
Old 11-30-07, 09:10 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

:droooool:
Old 11-30-07, 09:17 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yum

i may actually have to use the 'rate this thread' tool ...
Old 11-30-07, 09:38 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The door frames look really stupid on a roadster.
I don't even notice them really. They don't even stand out because of the gullwing nature. I'd imagine having a leading edge frame helps a lot with cabin noise with the top up, too. My main complaint about all convertibles is the lack of a frame around the window means much more wind noise.
Old 11-30-07, 09:47 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Not bad...I'd like to see a full side shot...hard to see the door pillar at these angles. My thought was it would be thick to hinge the door that way.
Old 11-30-07, 11:29 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't even notice them really. They don't even stand out because of the gullwing nature. I'd imagine having a leading edge frame helps a lot with cabin noise with the top up, too. My main complaint about all convertibles is the lack of a frame around the window means much more wind noise.
I meant with the doors open.
It's a roadster model so it has no top.
Old 11-30-07, 12:02 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine that in flat black at night...wowwwwwww
Old 11-30-07, 12:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Wow.. amazing.
Old 11-30-07, 07:49 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I meant with the doors open.
It's a roadster model so it has no top.
Oh, I know you meant with the doors open... my point was that because they're gullwing, it's less noticeable when they're open as opposed to on normal doors.

And I'm pretty sure it has a manual latch retractable top, I could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wow.. amazing.
Yeah actually I have never been a fan of the SLR looks, but this vehicle looks really nice.
Old 11-30-07, 07:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gengar
Yeah actually I have never been a fan of the SLR looks, but this vehicle looks really nice.
+1, I feel the same way
Old 11-30-07, 10:59 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Outside of the nice wheels, Im not really liking it. It looks to much like a SL55 or SLK55 to me. The SLR is supposed to be an outragous looking car. With the roof chopped off its to tame. I'll take the SLR 722.

Quick Reply: BRABUS SLR Roadster World Debut in Essen