Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus launches in Indonesia

Old 11-10-07, 07:55 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, no doubt will Lexus move on to India in the future. My guess is they are taking their time and doing their research before they enter these markets. In Southeast Asia, they are already in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and now Indonesia. Rumor has it that they will be launching in the Philippines very soon (next to a Mercedes dealership).

My dad lives in Indonesia and in his street alone there are probably 6-10 Harriers. Including two in his garage:
Old 11-11-07, 12:23 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genki
woohoo..my home country.
woohoo same here. Too bad Harrier mirrors get jacked a lot over there.

All I can say is get ready for some crazy lowered rides.
Old 11-11-07, 02:06 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

i passed by the dealership a few days ago on the way to Menteng... looks real nice. The location sucks though... they should have bought a place like The Winner auto gallery in Kuningan.
hopefully i can have some downtime next week to visit the dealership and even maybe take some pictures.
btw, i tested the LS600h in Singapore a few weeks back, and man ... it was sweet!
Old 11-11-07, 09:51 AM
genki
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hartawan
woohoo same here. Too bad Harrier mirrors get jacked a lot over there.

All I can say is get ready for some crazy lowered rides.

alphards too get the same treatment to their mirrors.
Old 11-11-07, 01:19 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Nice! I am heading back to Indonesia to help our family company next yr. I am excited to finally be able to drive a Lexus vehicle there. It used to be only BMW and Mercedes for the luxury crowds. (I did see some ferrari and porsche, but those are out of my price range at the moment).

Yes a vehicle there is expensive. For example: A BMW 3.0 X5 cost around US$100K last time i check.
Here in US, cars are 'cheap'er. Lucky for us :-)

Last edited by SugarRush; 11-11-07 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 04:24 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Good move, Indonesia is full of ballers out of control.
Old 11-11-07, 04:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice Harriers pic, lex-phil!
Old 11-11-07, 10:48 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is expanding like crazy......its good to see them tap into the Middle Eastern market too. They have a dealership in Amman, Jordan I would literally spend everyday there looking at the 2IS just dreaming about mine.
Old 11-12-07, 02:06 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SugarRush
Nice!

Yes a vehicle there is expensive. For example: A BMW 3.0 X5 cost around US$100K last time i check.
Here in US, cars are 'cheap'er. Lucky for us :-)

actually, the X5 3.0 is about $125,000 now.
RX350 is about $90,000+
Old 11-12-07, 03:35 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by timoc42
i passed by the dealership a few days ago on the way to Menteng... looks real nice. The location sucks though... they should have bought a place like The Winner auto gallery in Kuningan.
hopefully i can have some downtime next week to visit the dealership and even maybe take some pictures.
btw, i tested the LS600h in Singapore a few weeks back, and man ... it was sweet!
Where exactly is the dealership?

Originally Posted by genki
alphards too get the same treatment to their mirrors.
Yeah my uncle drives a harrier and alphard, its unbelievable how cozy that van is.
Old 12-11-07, 02:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus Indonesia's dealership, courtesy of one of its designers:

http://hermawan.typepad.com/blog/200...gallery-a.html

Via ThePassionatePursuit.com blog.
Old 12-11-07, 03:28 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Yeah, no doubt will Lexus move on to India in the future. My guess is they are taking their time and doing their research before they enter these markets. In Southeast Asia, they are already in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and now Indonesia. Rumor has it that they will be launching in the Philippines very soon (next to a Mercedes dealership).

My dad lives in Indonesia and in his street alone there are probably 6-10 Harriers. Including two in his garage:
I hope they launch Lexus in Philippines soon though there quite a bit of LX470 and LS's here already, I'm sure mostly driven by the uber rich politicians and businessmen.

And yes, cars here are too damn overpriced, brand new.
Old 12-11-07, 08:36 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Thats a sweet looking dealership.

and what perfect timing...this came out in the papers in the Philippines:

by Vernon B. Sarne
The Manila Times
December 11 2007

Lexus is here (seriously)

YOU are totally forgiven for wanting to take this news with a grain of salt. You have, after all, heard a lot of talk the past couple of years about the supposed arrival of Lexus in the Philippines. I myself have been guilty of repeatedly jumping the gun on Toyota's luxury brand. To the point where people have begun tagging the story as an urban legend.
Well, guess what: Lexus is finally and truly here. As I write this, an invitation from Toyota Motor Phils. with a Lexus letterhead sits on my desk, requesting me to attend the groundbreaking ceremony for the Lexus showroom at the Fort Bonifacio Global City this weekend. The exact venue is on 34th Street of the Taguig property, right behind MC Home Depot and near the Manila Speedzone. I'm assuming that TMP has ironed out the rumored kinks in the negotiations for the 4,500 square meters of real estate on which the Lexus facility will sit.
The Lexus showroom will be the first establishment in Metrobank Corp.'s 27-hectare property in Fort Bonifacio. Construction of the facility will commence this month and should finish by the final quarter of 2008. Word has it that TMP chairman George S.K. Ty is also putting up what is bound to be the country's tallest building near the Lexus edifice. And right across the street will soon rise Toyota's flagship showroom. Good luck to the competition.

The high-end Lexus structure will have three floors and will house the brand's internal offices, stockyard, service center and six-car showroom. Why a six-car display area? Because that's exactly the number of models Lexus Phils. is introducing when it opens shop late next year. These vehicles are the 2007 World Car of the Year LS460 full-size luxury sedan; the Camry-based ES350 midsize luxury sedan; the GS460 midsize luxury sports sedan; the rear-wheel-drive IS300 compact premium sedan; the newly unveiled LX570 large SUV; and the Harrier-based and projected bread-and-butter RX350 midsize luxury crossover SUV. (At least now you know exactly what to save up for.) All these models will be completely built-up units and are made in Japan.
Needless to say, TMP is pitting the Lexus brand squarely against BMW, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz. It hopes to immediately sell about 20 units a month and eventually capture 8 percent of the luxury passenger car segment and about 13 percent of the luxury SUV segment in its first year of operation in the country. Right now, BMW lords it over the luxury segment by owning 70 percent of the passenger cars and 50 percent of the SUVs.
Lexus Phils. is a joint venture between Toyota Motor Phils. (75 percent) and Mitsui & Co. Ltd. (25 percent). According to my infallible source, current TMP first vice president for marketing Danny Isla will serve as president of the division, initially with about 30 employees to be under him.
Expect TMP to pull out all the stops in erecting the Lexus edifice. The exterior will reportedly feature a computer-controlled water fountain and a full-height showroom glass. The interior, meanwhile, will showcase a garden, first-rate customer amenities and a state-of-the-art workshop area. Expect also TMP to fully concentrate on this showroom as it stands to be the one and only Lexus dealership on our shores in the foreseeable future; Toyota does not intend to open a second Lexus showroom within the first three years of operation.

Lexus was formally launched in 1989 in the United States, with the LS400 as its very first model. Toyota advertised this car by placing champagne glasses on the hood of a running unit, clearly boasting that the engine and the ride were exceptionally smooth.
Lexus currently operates in 57 countries, with the Philippines soon becoming the 18th Asian market to sell the brand. Lexus was likewise belatedly introduced in Japan in 2005, despite the country being the company's home base. This is because the brand was really conceptualized originally for the North American market, which presently accounts for two-thirds of Lexus' global sales of about half a million units. Perhaps the most telling indication of Lexus' quality is its number one position sales-wise in the luxury market in the US. For the past decade or so, Lexus has also consistently topped quality surveys in the most demanding auto market on the planet.
Asked how TMP plans to market Lexus versus BMW (sporty luxury), Volvo (safety) and Mercedes-Benz (traditional luxury), my source says Lexus will adopt the following selling points: quality, refinement and a satisfying ownership experience.

Now that Lexus is here, could Honda's Acura and Nissan's Infiniti be next?
Old 12-11-07, 08:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Lexus Indonesia's dealership, courtesy of one of its designers:
Looks real good , & better than any of the Canadian dealerships I've seen
Old 12-11-07, 08:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Looks real good , & better than any of the Canadian dealerships I've seen
not bad, though i wouldn't say top rank from those pictures. japanese ones are still the best i think

and andrew, time to come here and visit some of the dealerships here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus launches in Indonesia