Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As requested: pics of my new car (335i)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 05:59 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default As requested: pics of my new car (335i)

Well, as requested, here are some pics of the new car I got last weekend with some commentary

It's a 2007 335i sedan. Very dark blue (called Monaco Blue) with grey/black interior and aluminum trim). RWD, 6-speed steptronic, 3.0L TT I6 rated at 300hp and 300tq... dynos peg them about 10% underrated though. It has the sport suspension package and a bunch of other stuff. Almost everything but nav and laser cruise control.

Bi-xenon headlights (high and low, plus driving lights and fog lights (though only four of the 8 can be on at any given time). The headlights turn up to 15 degrees with the turning of the steering wheel, so when you take turns the lights follow the road for you. It's kinda disorienting at first until you get used to it.

You can kinda see the backup sensors back here. They're neat - they play the backup beeping sound in the speaker on the side of the car where the object is detected and get quicker/louder in their beeping the closer the car gets. So far it has been more helpful than I thought it would be. Or at least maybe makes me a little more confident when backing up...

18" wheels w/ run flat tires

The tires/wheels are staggered in size, so no rotating them...

Not gonna touch that!

This is what it looks like at night when you first walk up to it. You can see the LED lights that shine down to light around the car - they're brighter in person than they look in that pic. Kind of a cool touch.
Old 11-04-07, 06:00 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

The seats in this car are the optional dakota leather sport seats, which have a HUGE number of adjustments - everything from the tilt of the headrest to how much the side bolsters grab on to you to even an extension for your legs to rest on... I could fall asleep in these seats. The sport package has a few other interior tweaks including the steering wheel being different...

Push-button start - that recognizes the key fob of the person who unlocked the car and sets the climate, seat, radio station, etc with the last settings used by that person.
You can also see the rain sensing wiper switch which sounds kinda neat but it hasn't rained since I got the car so I dunno for sure...

Home link and "BMW SOS" (pretty much identical to on star) and some other switches up here...

13 speaker harmon kardon 'logic 7' sound system.
The acoustics are very good IMO - the bass is clean until it tries to play ghetto low... then it gets weak and loses clarity at anything above moderate volumes. But still overall sounds good.
There's a bunch of other menus in here including voice commands, bluetooth phone options, etc... since this car is missing nav they try to pack a lot in here and it takes a while to figure it all out.

The climate control has a pollution sensor that switches to recirculate when it smells 'bad' air.

The 'rest' button funnels hot air from the warm motor into the cabin to keep the interior warm for about half an hour on cold days when you're going to be getting back in the car shortly.

The 'sport' mode on this car is the FIRST I've ever driven that makes a drastic different in the way the transmission actually shifts. It'll snap your neck back on up and down shifts in sport mode.
Old 11-04-07, 06:00 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

You can see the paddle shifters here. They're very responsive (Though not quite DSG responsive of course). They can be used in both regular mode and sport mode - sport mode makes it shift quite a bit more firm. Shift response time is supposedly 1/10th of a second.

This is a ski bag that is included in the 'cold weather package' (also adds heated headlight and windshield washer fluid and heated seats). It's definitely the dumbest option on this car. I've never skied in my life and if I do I sure as hell won't be driving this RWD car up to the slopes.

There's 5 cup holders in the car but this is the only one that is heated and cooled. It's inside the center console. Also an MP3 player input in here which I definitely plan to use!

Anyhow - my overall impressions with the car so far:
Fun factor is a 10/10. This car is just SOO easy to drive fast through turns. It's scary how confidence inspiring it is. It's also pretty quick - I should be running it at the track Thursday...

Comfort is a 7/10. The car is pretty quiet and the seats are great. The ride is VERY stiff though - but the chassis is also very taught which means bumps are felt hard once and then the drama is over... no 'aftershock'

My main complaint about this car is quality, really. Overall it's very well put together. But this is a luxury brand car that prides itself on 'German engineering'... all things should be considered, and so far I've come across several things that I'd be really annoyed with if I wasn't leasing the car.
Old 11-04-07, 06:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

nice! how long is your lease term? I'm going to take a test drive at my local BMW dealer soon. I definitely need something that's more agile than the GS.
Old 11-04-07, 06:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
nice! how long is your lease term? I'm going to take a test drive at my local BMW dealer soon. I definitely need something that's more agile than the GS.
24 months - same as it was on the Audi. I start getting the itch even sooner than 24 months but that's the shortest term that exists.

Oddly enough if you negotiate a good enough of a deal on many cars these days (335i included), the 36 month term is barely any less expensive per month - in fact on my Audi it was more, but that was because Audi was promoting the 24 month term pretty heavily...
Old 11-04-07, 06:14 PM
LexFather

Very good choice!!! I think you might be the first 335 sedan owner on here.

Old 11-04-07, 06:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great!
Old 11-04-07, 06:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice car !! Congratulations
Old 11-04-07, 06:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

make a video of the new 6spd autos shift speeds, im curious
Old 11-04-07, 06:40 PM
Stelth91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a very nice car my friend. Hopefully i will be getting an e46 bimmer in the spring. I love BMW, best German engineering IMO.
Old 11-04-07, 07:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmm i always thought there was something new with the new 3 sedan they looked cleaner and had the halos...nice car!
Old 11-04-07, 08:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monaco Blue is probably the ugliest color this car comes in.

j/k

Have it on my 5-series and love it - especially in the sun. Very nice choice - love the alum trim interior (something you can't get in the 5).

Congrats.
Old 11-04-07, 11:29 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice color and car. Congrats.
Old 11-05-07, 06:14 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on your new ride! Looks great!
Old 11-05-07, 06:27 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats that's one beautiful machine........can't go wrong with a TT I6

Quick Reply: As requested: pics of my new car (335i)