Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Infiniti FX37 and FX50

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 07:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2009 Infiniti FX37 and FX50

At 2008 Geneva Motor Show, Infiniti will unveil completely redesigned FX. The FX will compete with Volkswagen Touareg, Porsche Cayenne and Lexus RX.

The 2009 FX will be available in two different choices: the FX37 and the FX50. As you suspect already one will be powered by a 3.7 liter and the other by a 5.0 liter engine.

The FX37 wil be powered by the same 3.7 liter VQ-series V6 engine engine used in the G37 Coupe and will deliver 300 hp. The FX50 will be powered by a 5.0 liter engine with an output of 390 hp and 369 lbs-ft.

The new VQ37VHR, first used in the G37 Coupe is based on the award-winning VQ engine series, named one of the "Ten Best Engines" by Ward’s Auto World magazine for 13 consecutive years. next to a bigger output, the FX37 will also use the new VVEL system which combines hydraulic-controlled variable valve timing and electronically controlled variable valve lift on the intake side to help improve performance and response. The VVEL system is also expected to improve emissions and fuel efficiency.

The 2009 FX will have the same dimensions as the current FX. Infiniti will use materials that will reduce weight, this is why the up-coming FX will be faster compared to the current model.

The biggest changes will be made to the front of the car. The exterior will be more sporty and modern.

The exterior highlights will include flowing front fender curves, expressive front fascia with Infiniti’s signature double-arch grille and L-shaped High-Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon headlights with integrated fog lamps. Also the rear will feature large LED taillights – an Infiniti trademark, refined rear bumper and an integrated RearView Monitor camera. The camera will help you to have a 360 degree view of what was around you.

Two of the most modern features included in the upcoming FX are: Slow moving traffic cruise control, meaning that the car will slow down and speed up based on the car in front of you and mirrors that will auto adjust when you move in the seat.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/infinit...0-ar40452.html
Old 10-29-07, 08:03 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

The FX37 wil be powered by the same 3.7 liter VQ-series V6 engine engine used in the G37 Coupe and will deliver 300 hp. The FX50 will be powered by a 5.0 liter engine with an output of 390 hp and 369 lbs-ft.
So the rumours were true about the 5.0 liter 390hp V8. awesome news!

Thanks for posting this.
Old 10-29-07, 08:13 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
So the rumours were true about the 5.0 liter 390hp V8. awesome news!

Thanks for posting this.
Now imagine if they were able to fit in a 5.7 V8 from the QX57. With all the tweaks and such for the hot rod FX.
Old 10-29-07, 08:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder....if all of the planets align at exactly the same time in exactly the same way...and the wind is blowing in the right direction...if they would offer something more advanced than a 5AT?

Old 10-29-07, 09:27 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I wonder....if all of the planets align at exactly the same time in exactly the same way...and the wind is blowing in the right direction...if they would offer something more advanced than a 5AT?

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I'll take a proven reliable 5AT over a 6AT with constant flareups and failures any day of the week
Old 10-29-07, 09:29 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa 390 hp???
Old 10-29-07, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Lexus with a 5.0 V-8 and now Nissan. Good times!

Old 10-29-07, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I'll take a proven reliable 5AT over a 6AT with constant flareups and failures any day of the week
In a few cars, no issues in the IS or GS or LS.
Don't forget CVT in the hybrids.
And the 8 speed in the LS and IS-F.
The RX still has the 5 speed.

Lexus has many different transmissions.

Old 10-29-07, 10:54 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
whoa 390 hp???
Yeah, holy cow

From the sketches, there doesn't seem to be any ext. changes.
Old 10-29-07, 10:56 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus with a 5.0 V-8 and now Nissan. Good times!
Nissan is getting this 5.0 V8 also? Doubt it. From what I know, this engine will be exclusive to Infiniti.

This engine is gonna be great because it isn't just gonna be for one very limited production car only. We all know Infiniti is gonna ***** this engine to as many cars in the lineup that they can. I'm sure this engine will have a lot of potential. Can't imagine what a performance-tuned variant of this engine would be like. With Infiniti really stepping up the game as of late, wouldn't be surprised to see a G50 or something of the sort now that Lexus is coming out with the IS-F.
Old 10-30-07, 12:08 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

hmmm..isn't this article pretty old already? I think i remember reading this even before news of the EX
Old 10-30-07, 06:28 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow..Infiniti is becoming the new bully on the block. I am liking them more and more..390hp is what the RangeRover sport churns out.. FX50 is doing this without a supercharger.. This motor is going in some of their cars too for sure!
Old 10-30-07, 06:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That power is insane.
Old 10-31-07, 11:38 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Nissan is getting this 5.0 V8 also? Doubt it. From what I know, this engine will be exclusive to Infiniti.

This engine is gonna be great because it isn't just gonna be for one very limited production car only. We all know Infiniti is gonna ***** this engine to as many cars in the lineup that they can. I'm sure this engine will have a lot of potential. Can't imagine what a performance-tuned variant of this engine would be like. With Infiniti really stepping up the game as of late, wouldn't be surprised to see a G50 or something of the sort now that Lexus is coming out with the IS-F.
Indeed

It's great to see Infiniti offer this kind of power in a vehicle under 100k. And I agree, I'm sure we'll be seeing this 390hp 5.0L show up in several Infiniti products over the next couple of years (the M, FX, next generation Q, and possibly the G sedan). Infiniti is definitely stepping up their game big time and they seem to want to take more chances with their line rather than play it conservative.

I didn't see this posted here, but I read on another board that Infiniti has trademarked the names M30d, G30d, FX30d, & EX30d. It seems they will be offering diesel engines in their lineup as well very soon. And with the news of them working on their hybrids, it should be very interesting to see what else they have to offer in the next couple of years.
Old 10-31-07, 11:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" The new VQ37VHR, first used in the G37 Coupe is based on the award-winning VQ engine series, named one of the "Ten Best Engines" by Ward’s Auto World magazine for 13 consecutive years."
So the VQ motor is out for 13 yrs??? Give me a break!

Quick Reply: 2009 Infiniti FX37 and FX50