Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Tundra hit with 2 more quality problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 08:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Toyota Tundra hit with 2 more quality problems

Last Tuesday the Toyota Tundra was kicked off the Consumer Reports "Recommended" list for achieving below average predicted reliability scores from its own owners. It appears, however, that the Tundra's week is about to get worse. With the help of Mike Levine from Pickuptruck.com, we're following two separate stories about Tundra quality issues that have surfaced recently. The first involves the Tundra's transmission, with at least ten owners at TundraSolutions.com reporting that their trannies experience rough shifts that make the truck feel like it's riding over rumble strips. The 'rumble strip' transmission issue has been acknowledged by Toyota North America and traced back to the torque converter not disengaging properly. Owners report having their transmissions replaced with new or remanufactured ones, though Toyota told Levine that going forward the automaker would only replace the torque converter itself. Toyota did not say, however, how many trucks are affected, just that the transmission problem is not a safety or design issue.

The second quality issue sprouted up this past weekend, also on TundraSolutions.com, and involves tailgates that have been failing or, in some cases, even falling off. The most common experience seems to be the tailgate itself forming cracks and the metal buckling when under load. One owner reported that his tailgate failed when loading an ATV into the bed for the very first time. The tailgate being such an integral part of owning a truck, members of TS have begun an online petition, which they hope will force Toyota to recognize the issue and do something about it. The petition has attracted 125 signatures so far. Levine from Pickuptruck.com has also asked Toyota about these potentially failing tailgates and is waiting for a response.

Yes, the Toyota Tundra has had a very rough week, but it's no more difficult than the time Tundra owners spend with trucks that don't work as advertised.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/22/t...uality-issues/

Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Some of you on here may see me as a Toyota Zealist but even with my loyalty towards Toyota I'll throw a BS flag at them as fast as anyone else, so here it is. Well its pretty obvious that the tailgates on these new tundras have some issues. There have been multiple threads of folks loading 4 wheelers, golf carts and damaging their tailgates in the process. I was following a thread on a tailgate failure on TT and it was about a guy who tried to load his atv in the back of his Tundra and the tailgate bent and buckled in the process. So I went out to look at mine since I have loaded mine quite a few times without a problem and noticed that my tailgate is gonna do the same thing his did. The shell is 2 thin azz pieces with a chinsy seam that appears to be bonded with something I cant even say that its welded cuz it doesn't look like a weld. Anyway heres a few pics and the link to this guys post where his failed to support the weight of his wheeler the first time he attempted to load it This is gonna be a mess up here in AK, cuz thats how most people transport their wheelers. This same wheeler has been loaded in the bed of 2 of my Tacomas and a T-100 with no problem over the last 10 years and now Toyotas biggest truck ever has a tailgate that wont support what a 1996 Tacoma, 1999 Tacoma , and a 97 T-100 could. This is gonna be a fun one, thankfully I dont have to load the quad again until May so I have some time to figure this out. I dont know if the spring loaded easy drop feature for suburban moms is the reason for this lightweight chinsy tailgate but its not gonna fly for those of us who actually use their truck as a truck.

Heres the pics of another tundra owners tailgate that is what mine will eventually look like. This was the first time he ever loaded his quad.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...res-i-am-club/

Last edited by GFerg; 10-22-07 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-22-07, 08:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Terrible..Just terrible. The cat converter on on my 2002 Rav4 failed last year with only 20k on the clock. Thank goodness it was covered under warranty. Also, a half inch piece of the windshield molding is missing. I am hoping Toyota has the replacement part.. Mind you this vehicle is built in Japan unlike the Tundra which is built in the USA.. The quality and assembly of these vehicles are truly showing their true colors now.
Old 10-22-07, 09:01 AM
LexFather

Its a new model and futher more being a Toyota, its getting tons of press coverage now that the sky is falling.

Not surprised for those that have common sense.
1. New model
2. New plant
3. New workers
4. New processes

There are going to be gliches.

Old 10-22-07, 09:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Some of you on here may see me as a Toyota Zealist but even with my loyalty towards Toyota I'll throw a BS flag at them as fast as anyone else, so here it is. Well its pretty obvious that the tailgates on these new tundras have some issues
What this guy said..
Old 10-22-07, 09:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just be glad they actually acknowledged the issue this quickly. Most manafacturers would ignore problems until 5+ years later when 10000s - 100000s of vehicles were affected.

I still find it funny when a small number of toyota owners experience some problem and the media goes into a bloodrage over it. Then some manafacturer recalls 2.3 million vehicles and no one gives a rats *** and people forget it happened by next week.
Old 10-22-07, 09:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

It's just growing pains..............
Old 10-22-07, 09:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
just be glad they actually acknowledged the issue this quickly. Most manafacturers would ignore problems until 5+ years later when 10000s - 100000s of vehicles were affected.

I still find it funny when a small number of toyota owners experience some problem and the media goes into a bloodrage over it. Then some manafacturer recalls 2.3 million vehicles and no one gives a rats *** and people forget it happened by next week.
So, I take it the sludge issue in the Camry & Es300 cars were dealt with expeditiously?

How swiftly were the transmission issues dealt with as well? Just curious..
Old 10-22-07, 09:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
So, I take it the sludge issue in the Camry & Es300 cars were dealt with expeditiously?

the article says the issues have surfaced recently and Toyo NA already acknowledged it, hell theyve already even found exactly whats causing it, sounds like a swift job to me
Old 10-22-07, 09:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the article says the issues have surfaced recently and Toyo NA already acknowledged it, hell theyve already even found exactly whats causing it, sounds like a swift job to me
I am quite aware. Other manufactures acknowledge problems immediately as well.

This is the part of your quote I am most focused on

Most manafacturers would ignore problems until 5+ years later when 10000s - 100000s of vehicles were affected
Sure is happening now.. 5 years and counting... For example..The 2nd gen GS is having some issues......Weak ball joints.. Shall Toyota Motor Corp wait for owners along with family members to be killed? Perhaps a manufacturer recall is in order ala the 1st generation GS which has the same issue ?
Old 10-22-07, 09:50 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am quite aware. Other manufactures acknowledge problems immediately as well.

This is the part of your quote I am most focused on

Sure is happening now.. 5 years and counting... For example..The 2nd gen GS is having some issues......Weak ball joints.. Shall Toyota Motor Corp wait for owners along with family members to be killed? Perhaps a manufacturer recall is in order ala the 1st generation GS which has the same issue ?
I think you like to argue for the sake or arguing. There are issues with Toyota as there are with BMW, GM, and everyone else. The fact is Toyota has been kind enough to address these issues and try to give you the best service that they can. I am not saying other companies don't do this, but what I am saying is that other companies don't do it as well as Toyota.

Sure this will make some people frown, and possibly make them lose interest in purchasing a Toyota product, however.... the majority of your average consumers respect the fact that the issues will be fixed, and they will be fixed promptly. The first thing you have to sell to a customer is service and Toyota does that beautifully.

With my run ins with Benz, BMW, and GM I'd say that Toyota service for their customers far extends the competition. And that, I suppose as a Biased Toyota fan, leads me to believe that these issues will be fixed and the Tundra will come back stronger.
Old 10-22-07, 09:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
And that, I suppose as a Biased Toyota fan, leads me to believe that these issues will be fixed and the Tundra will come back stronger.
Thank you for your objective assessment

Hello, I am a Toyota/Lexus owner too. Here is the difference... I can think outside of the box
Old 10-22-07, 10:01 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your objective assessment

Hello, I am a Toyota/Lexus owner too. Here is the difference... I can think outside of the box
I'm glad you noticed! It was objective and optimistic.

Old 10-22-07, 10:11 AM
LexFather

Compared to the competition, they are doing an incredible job. The sludge issue was NEVER PROVED to be a Toyota build issue, it did PROVE knucklheads who did not change the oil, would encounter this issue.

THEY VOLUNTARILY OFFERED HELP. They did NOT have to do that.

As for the transmissions, they have and issue, they are working on it. Historically speaking, their transmissions have been rock solid. One time does not make a trend.

Tell the WHOLE STORY and LOOK at the whole story.

Old 10-22-07, 10:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Compared to the competition, they are doing an incredible job.
Kudos.. I am glad they are addressing it too as I am a valued Toyota customer myself, and have been over the years..

The sludge issue was NEVER PROVED to be a Toyota build issue, it did PROVE knucklheads who did not change the oil, would encounter this issue.
Are you sure about that? I even recieved a notice for my Es300 that I once had and I posted it here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...UDGE+dashocker You see, Toyota owners repeatedly complained detailing Toyota's attempts to blame sludge problems on inadequate vehicle maintenance by the owner.. That is a whole other thread...So lets move on..

THEY VOLUNTARILY OFFERED HELP. They did NOT have to do that.
Recalls can either be issued voluntarily by the manufacturer or federally ordered. Next..

As for the transmissions, they have and issue, they are working on it.
Yes I know.

The anti-Toyota/Lexus tirade is getting tiresome.
Do you not like hearing varying opinions? Should one always sing kubiya around the camp fire when it comes to Toyota/ Lexus at each and every breath? I'm not that cat. Sorry.. I love cars period and happen to own a variety of them. Toyota is having problems and it is being discussed here. Welcome...
Old 10-22-07, 10:52 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
It's just growing pains..............
they've been growing massively over the past decade. Growing isn't new to them. Calling it growing pains is no excuse. They're just getting sloppy.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra hit with 2 more quality problems