Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Tundra hit with 2 more quality problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 04:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
So there was a recall for this E46's imploding?

TSB / NHTSA number please....
LOL.. amazing This is about the Toyota Tundra and it turns into a bash BMW fest...

Here read this then start another thread if you have any questions or further comments.

BMW Extended Warranty for S54 Engines

Posted by: BMW NA Customer Relations on 2002-12-19 at 12:00:41
(posted from: Host: system150.bmwna.com IP: 63.95.170.150)
Extended Warranty on all S54 Engines in M3 coupe, convertible and M roadster and coupe model year 2001, 2002, and until further notice, current production 2003 (Vehicle Identification Number specific).

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. The following letter is being mailed to all customers with cars that have M 6-cylinder S54 engines. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-831-1117 or send us an email through our website at bmwusa.com.

December 2002

Re: BMW VIN #

Dear Valued M Enthusiast,

We hope that you are continuing to enjoy your M car and that your BMW ownership experience is everything you hoped it would be. At BMW of North America we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations now and in the future. We are grateful to you for your passion and enthusiasm for M cars.

BMW has always maintained an open dialogue with our valued customers and BMW centers. As you may be aware, we have seen cases of damage to the connecting rod bearings resulting in engine failure. We are listening to your comments and concerns and have been meticulously researching this issue. We promise to keep you informed of any issues that affect your vehicleís engine.

To further strengthen your confidence in your BMW and assure you of our commitment, we will extend the warranty on the above referenced vehicle identification number for all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil to 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Enclosed is a copy of the extended warranty statement for your records. Please insert this page into your Service and Warranty booklet, as it is transferable to any subsequent owner.

We continue to recommend that you only use BM
W approved SAE10W-60 synthetic oil in your engine. Please be aware that your engine needs to be at operating temperature before you take advantage of its full power at high engine speeds. Please do not overrev the engine under any circumstances. Be careful not to pump the accelerator pedal when there is no engine load, e.g. when the vehicle is not in motion. The best, most efficient and safest way to warm up an engine is to drive with moderate engine speeds until you reach the operating temperature.

We assure you that we stand behind our product and will always continue to listen to our customers. If you have any additional questions please contact your authorized BMW center or call Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117.

We wish you many more safe and thrilling miles in your M car.

Sincerely,

Hans G. Duenzl
Vice President,
Aftersales & Engineering

Inter-BranchMemo
To: Hans Duenzl
Dept.: VP, Aftersales & Engineering

Dept.: Aftersales Development & Quality Management

Date: 12/09/02

Re: Text for S54 Extended Warranty Statement for Insertion into the Service and Warranty booklet

New Vehicle Limited Warranty Enhancement - S54 Engine
Vehicle Identification Number:
(Valid only in the Continental USA and Puerto Rico)

BMW of North America, LLC warrants on the above referenced VIN all internal mechanical engine components lubricated by engine oil against defects from material or workmanship for a period of 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty is described in your Service Warranty booklet supplied with your new BMW.

The warranty begins on the date of the first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier.

Please insert this into your Service and Warranty booklet.
Old 10-22-07, 04:41 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
If it was to show how a cars can have hidden defects in them that don't show up right away I see your point. it also shows how once the manufacturer discovers the defect, how they recalled and took care of the problem.

Thanks for understanding my point. All automakers have issues but apparently we have biased owners on this forum that think if Toyota/Lexus has an issue that they just overlook it..........its as if they (biased members) see a one problem with Toyota/Lexus they throw it on a flag and flaunt it. Im just making my point.
Old 10-22-07, 04:55 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
LOL.. amazing This is about the Toyota Tundra and it turns into a bash BMW fest...
and of course this comes from the biggest Bimmer leg humper here yet still no recall notice....just a "notification"

anyhow for the those with an inkling of gray matter, my point was that yes i agree, while there are more recall/quality notices on Toyota then before, i am actually glad that Toyota is in the right mindset to inform folks even when it is something as hysterical as floor mats, instead of doing it after the fact...proactive notification to customer is a good thing even if it can be a marketing nightmare.
Old 10-22-07, 05:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
and of course this comes from the biggest Bimmer leg humper here yet still no recall notice....just a "notification"
Amazing some of the comments allowed here I've been a Lexus Toyota owner longer than you (since 1995) and helped many Lexus owners on this board with regards to their vehicle on and offline.. But I don't need to say much more on that front. Use the search button for threads I started. Anywho since you are foaming at the mouth for a recall here you go...

recall
Old 10-22-07, 05:19 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

As I indicated earlier in this thread.. see my quote below.

Recalls can either be issued voluntarily by the manufacturer or federally ordered
Old 10-22-07, 05:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a new model and futher more being a Toyota, its getting tons of press coverage now that the sky is falling.

Not surprised for those that have common sense.
1. New model
2. New plant
3. New workers
4. New processes

There are going to be gliches.
i guess toyota needs to get used to it.

Whenever new model comes out, it will have its shair of problems - some smaller, some larger.

There is no new car that is perfect - apsolutly not. You can only hope for the to fix them quickly and provide good warranty coverage.

I have said it before and I will say it again - if you think that Lexus is bad, check BMW and MB forums for issues on their cars. And yes, thats why Lexus gets rated better than them in long term reliability. Are they perfect? Hell no, just better than others.
Old 10-22-07, 05:34 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Amazing some of the comments allowed here I've been a Lexus Toyota owner longer than you (since 1995)
Are you ASSUMing my first lexus was an LS?

But hey, sticks and stones right? Seriously grow up...that Bavarian sauerkraut is well lodged up there now....
Old 10-22-07, 07:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
they've been growing massively over the past decade. Growing isn't new to them. Calling it growing pains is no excuse. They're just getting sloppy.
Incorrect. Toyota's growth was not massive during the 1990s; it was steady and methodical. Toyota's massive growth only really started around 2000-2001. Interestingly enough, that's also when some of these Toyota quality problems started popping up.

Toyota's resources and engineers were stretched way too thinly over the past few years. Is that getting sloppy? No. It was more like focusing too much on sales growth.

Now Toyota has realized this, installed a bunch of new procedures company-wide to improve quality and are slowing down their global growth to bring quality back up.

Even with this recent quality stumble, Toyota's quality is STILL better than most manufacturers; it's just gotten worse compared to the lofty standards previously set in the 1980s and 1990s by Honda and Toyota.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
All in all, I'm sick of reading that the world is over and that Toyota cars are falling apart on the very roads that they drive on. None of us should forget that these articles are written with people who have agendas and quotas to meet, or opinions to sway.

You've got to look at everything for yourself. Toyota has, again, suffered a few growing pains but I have faith in the company, what it stands for, and it's tradition. For that reason I will continue to believe in the company and likely purchase their products. If this quality slide continues into it's new products and we find that the recent promises end up empty, then there is reason to worry. Their reaction to these issues is more telling than the issues themselves, IMO.
Well said and I agree.

I too am sick of hearing that Toyota is falling apart and that their quality is horrible all of a sudden.

Ultimately, I have faith in the company because over the past 60 years Toyota has proved to the world and to its critics than it learns from it's mistakes and it continually improves.

Anything said in this thread is just empty words. Ultimately, time will tell in the next few years how Toyota will react and address these problems, and if quality will go up. Toyota has already installed many new technologies and procedures company-wide to raise quality. Again, it's a matter of time IMO before Toyota proves the critics wrong and also proves to the world yet again of how it handles problems.
Old 10-22-07, 07:55 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

I’ve aired my option on this matter on the other “Toyota quality” thread. I will not repeat my self.
Old 10-22-07, 08:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys this thread has degraded to useless mudslinging and insults.

I am ashamed of some of the rude behaviour here and do not expect it to spill to other threads. I'll ask members to take some time off from this forum to cool down if it does... this is getting quite tiring.