Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 07:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Unhappy BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford

By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

Jim Farley, a marketing star at Toyota Motor Corp., is joining Ford Motor Co. as group vice president of marketing and communications.

Farley, 45, joins Ford next month.. He will be senior marketing officer and will report directly to CEO Alan Mulally.

One of Farley's first missions will be to decide the fate of the Mercury brand -- which has been losing sales and has no all-new products in the pipeline.

Farley spent two decades at Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., most recently as general manager of Lexus Division. He previously was group vice president of marketing for Toyota Division.

Farley also oversaw the launch of Toyota’s youth subbrand, Scion.

Credit: Autoweek
Old 10-11-07, 07:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Deborah Wahl Meyer, Jim Press to Chrysler and now this!
Old 10-11-07, 08:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's o.k. for other automakers to grab Toyota/Lexus execs. It's further proof that some of the best and brightest were playing the right team.

However, does anyone know who the replacements are for all these people?

Toyota/Lexus need to progress (read change for the better), and they need to have the right people (or group of people) with the right ideas, goals, and dreams. That's the big news that Toyota/Lexus need to detail...
Old 10-11-07, 08:26 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, we're losing people left, right and centre!

Yeah who are their replacements?
Old 10-11-07, 08:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty telling. The struggling american companies are simply dangling a bigger bone in front of their faces.

Toyota employees and executives are not the best paid in the industry, by a long shot.
Old 10-11-07, 08:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus/Toyota needs to higher Bob Lutz. If anyone can inject some excitement into the slowwwwww Lexus brand it is Bob Lutz For now, things are just stagnant over at Lexus. LF-A, GS-F is still a dream to many, and IS-F is still in the refrigerator waiting to be thawed.
Old 10-11-07, 08:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me, I think I would be much happier working for Lexus. Their is a certain of prestige associated with that job title.
Old 10-11-07, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ah, toyota/lexus losing another big star. seems like a trend this yr or something. but like phil said, let's see if they can really make a difference on those brands. that would be an interesting thing to see
Old 10-11-07, 09:07 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
If it were me, I think I would be much happier working for Lexus. Their is a certain of prestige associated with that job title.
You say this but I am sure if you got whatever off he got you may reconsider. $$$$ goes along way in people's decision making, whether you believe it or not. And for some, once you've hit the top, you move on and look for new challenges. This is his chance to be a savior of sorts, that in and of itself is a BIG opportunity IMO
Old 10-11-07, 09:15 AM
GGP4me
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
However, does anyone know who the replacements are for all these people?

Ryan aka FLIPSIDE909
Old 10-11-07, 09:44 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must hell of a signup package to motivate all these top Toyota execs to jump ship. Hopefully Toyota still has plenty of good management people in reserve.

And I hope Jim will not regret it later as Ford is sinking fast as we speak and his career may very well sink with it.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-11-07 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-11-07, 10:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Exclamation BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Leadership at Lexus after Jim Farley Jumps to Ford

TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Jim Lentz, executive vice
president of Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced the promotion of Scion Vice President Mark Templin to succeed Jim Farley as group vice president and general manager of Lexus, the company's luxury division.

Farley, who joined Toyota in 1990, resigned today to lead Ford Motor
Co.'s global marketing and communications group.

In addition, Lentz announced two other executive promotions. Jack
Hollis, corporate manager of Scion, will succeed Templin as vice president
of Scion, Toyota's youth brand, and Dawn Ahmed, Toyota Division national cross vehicle marketing manager, will replace Hollis as corporate manager of Scion.

Lentz praised Farley's work at Toyota but noted that "Toyota has an
amazingly deep bench, and the new promotions provided an opportunity to reward a number of top performers."

He also pointed out that "Farley's selection shows how highly the
industry prizes the talent, knowledge and experience of TMS associates."

"Mark Templin has done a brilliant job leading Scion through the
challenges of maintaining the brand's edgy identity while introducing new
products to the lineup," said Lentz. "Jack Hollis has an outstanding record
of accomplishment, including managing relations with TMS' private
distributors and launching internal initiatives to improve the customer
experience. And Dawn Ahmed has consistently achieved stellar results in
Toyota and Scion marketing. She was part of the original team that launched Scion and she helped guide the successful launch of the all-new Toyota Tundra.

Credit: PR Newswire - TMS USA
Old 10-11-07, 10:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Ford Motor Snares Toyota Marketing Executive

By NORIHIKO SHIROUZU and JEFFREY MCCRACKEN
October 11, 2007 9:56 a.m.

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co., trying to bolster its marketing to put a stop to its eroding U.S. market share, has hired away Jim Farley, a rising sales-and-marketing star at Toyota Motor Corp., according to people familiar with the move.

Mr. Farley -- one of the architects behind Toyota's successful foray into America's youth market with funky small cars under the brand name Scion -- is the latest high-ranking American executive to ditch Toyota. He is expected to become Ford's group vice president of marketing and communications, according to people who work for Toyota and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Ford likes Mr. Farley "because he's got operating experience," one of the people said. "He's got experience running things."

Successfully snatching Mr. Farley, 45 years old, away from Toyota is a big coup for Ford. Ford Chief Executive Officer Alan Mullaly has been under growing pressure from his board to start improving Ford's performance, especially in North America where the company's sales of vehicles have been steadily declining for months.

Sales of Ford's brands including Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover slid in the first nine months of this year to 1.98 million vehicles from 2.29 million vehicles a year earlier.

Still, thanks in part to aggressive cost reductions in North America, Ford was able to post a net profit of $750 million for the second quarter, rebounding from a net loss of $317 million in the year-earlier period. The company posted a pretax loss of $279 million in North America, however, compared with a pretax loss of $789 million a year ago.

Ford is known to have been looking for a chief marketing officer since earlier this year. Joe Laymon, Ford's group vice president in charge of human resources and labor affairs, said earlier this year the Dearborn, Mich., company was looking for a marketing chief.

The second-biggest U.S. auto maker by sales volume, which spends more than $2 billion a year on advertising, desperately needs a boost in its marketing leadership as its U.S. market share continues to slip.

Ford spokesman Mark Truby declined to comment. Irv Miller, a Toyota spokesman, also declined to comment.

The recent string of departures by high-profile American executives is a blow to Toyota. Last month, Jim Press, the then-highest-ranking American executive at Toyota, gave up his board of director position and joined Chrysler LLC. In August, Chrysler named Deborah Wahl Meyer as its chief marketing officer. Ms. Meyer was the top marketing executive at Lexus, Toyota's luxury brand.

The company had relied on Messrs. Press and Farley, among others, as the company's American faces to deflect any political backlash that might arise from its rapid growth in the U.S.

Perhaps more damaging, the company's inability to retain Messrs. Press and Farley and Ms. Meyer highlights what some insiders describe as growing discontent among American ranks about heavy-handed interventions from their bosses in Japan in formulating pricing and other key strategic decisions.

Those insiders, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said American managers were particularly upset about the pricing strategy forced on them for the redesigned Toyota Tundra full-size pickup truck. Relatively high prices of the Tundra, which went on sale in the spring of this year, have forced Toyota to offer big discounts and other costly sales incentives to help them meet its sales on target. Toyota wants to sell 200,000 of them this year.

Mr. Farley, currently group vice president at Toyota's U.S. sales arm and manager of the Lexus brand, will be replaced by Mark Templin, 46, a vice president in charge of the Scion brand.

Credit: WSJ
Old 10-11-07, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I guess Lexus isn't paying them enough! Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 10-11-07, 10:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Mr. Farley, currently group vice president at Toyota's U.S. sales arm and manager of the Lexus brand, will be replaced by Mark Templin, 46, a vice president in charge of the Scion brand."
Scion way of advertising has been very prominent and fresh, infused with music and culture. I would love to see the same principles of marketing to Lexus.

Lexus commercials have been interesting, but nothing spectacular. It's pretty much a bombardment of technological features advertised in Lexus vehicles. I would like to see something with more personality and uniqueness. Compared to Scion commercials, Lexus is very simple. Even the new Tundra commercials have a kick to it.

I see potential, and I hope it goes the right direction...

Quick Reply: BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford