Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 04:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Scion way of advertising has been very prominent and fresh, infused with music and culture. I would love to see the same principles of marketing to Lexus.

Lexus commercials have been interesting, but nothing spectacular. It's pretty much a bombardment of technological features advertised in Lexus vehicles. I would like to see something with more personality and uniqueness. Compared to Scion commercials, Lexus is very simple. Even the new Tundra commercials have a kick to it.

I see potential, and I hope it goes the right direction...
Actually the Lexus commercials are perfect for their intended audience (which isnt me and isnt you most likely). The people at the Country Club at which I bartended, ate them up (saw so many LS/SL/S/GS/GX/LX vehicles there). They cater to golfers, people into fine-living, and big money; and they do sell VERY well in that audience.
Old 10-11-07, 04:54 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
The Solstice and Sky are just Opel Speedsters with a front engine conversion (albeit a very bad one, an N/A ECOtec 4cyl standard at 3200lbs? they should be ashamed).
Sorry, but you're mistaken about that one. The Solstice and Sky are built on their own dedicated small front-engine platform (Kappa), whereas the Opel Speedster's platform is basically a modified Lotus Elise rear-mid-engine platform.

You are correct, though, about the Solstice and Sky being overweight for their size.
Old 10-11-07, 05:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did a little digging on Mark Templin...he joined TMC in 1990, he was Lexus VP of Marketing, and when he moved to Scion, the position went to Deborah Wahl Meyer (who is now with Chrysler). He handled the IS 350 presser at NYIAS:
Attached Thumbnails BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford-presentan8905.jpg  
Old 10-11-07, 06:12 PM
JessePS

What is next? Lexus taking Chris Bangle from BMW lol

I wonder what is happening at Lexus. Hmmm
Old 10-11-07, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
What is next? Lexus taking Chris Bangle from BMW lol

I wonder what is happening at Lexus. Hmmm
Well, what is happening at Lexus is that, several years ago, they simply stopped trying to be Lexus and are now trying to be BMW.....that is obvious in the tires, suspensions, and interiors of several of their new products. I wouldn't be surprised if what you said above DOES happen......Mr. I-Drive finding a new job at the big L.
Old 10-11-07, 07:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Sorry, but you're mistaken about that one. The Solstice and Sky are built on their own dedicated small front-engine platform (Kappa), whereas the Opel Speedster's platform is basically a modified Lotus Elise rear-mid-engine platform.

You are correct, though, about the Solstice and Sky being overweight for their size.
I was told and have read in multiple places that they were Opel chassis converted to front-engine configs and that is the main reason it took a while to get them out. You can see it in the size/shape of the cars and various other components (large door sills). And I've heard the Opel Speedster has nothing in common with the Lotus Elise; that they are completely different cars (different brands with different owners IIRC).

Maybe the Kappa platform IS the same thing.

I apologize, I was wrong. But the Kappa platform is a homologation of parts and mostly derived from the Delta platform; which is Opel.

Last edited by Bean; 10-11-07 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 09:05 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, what is happening at Lexus is that, several years ago, they simply stopped trying to be Lexus and are now trying to be BMW.....that is obvious in the tires, suspensions, and interiors of several of their new products. I wouldn't be surprised if what you said above DOES happen......Mr. I-Drive finding a new job at the big L.
phewy

lets all start betting, will this be for the best or will toyota/lexus **** up something good.
Old 10-11-07, 09:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
I was told and have read in multiple places that they were Opel chassis converted to front-engine configs and that is the main reason it took a while to get them out. You can see it in the size/shape of the cars and various other components (large door sills). And I've heard the Opel Speedster has nothing in common with the Lotus Elise; that they are completely different cars (different brands with different owners IIRC).

Maybe the Kappa platform IS the same thing.

I apologize, I was wrong. But the Kappa platform is a homologation of parts and mostly derived from the Delta platform; which is Opel.
Opel, I don't think, was really in on it much. The way I understand it, the Solstice and Sky were developed in conjunction with the GM European Vauxhall VX Lightning.......Vauxhall, like Opel, being one of the GM Euro-divisions, and popular in Britain.

Don't worry about apologies. I sometimes make mistakes or misquotes with specs myself. The world of car design is getting so complex that is almost impossible to remember everything.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-07 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 09:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do hope the BMW-ization of Lexus does not totally compromise the brand...I'm looking for the future IS/GS/ES hopefully to bring back more of the luxury feeling...Mr. Templin how does that sound?
Old 10-11-07, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma888
I do hope the BMW-ization of Lexus does not totally compromise the brand...I'm looking for the future IS/GS/ES hopefully to bring back more of the luxury feeling...Mr. Templin how does that sound?

Can't speak for Templin, but I'm with you all the way.

Even so, the current GS is a superb machine....IMO one of the Ten Best cars I've ever reviewed.
Old 10-11-07, 09:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

When the new FORD CEO took Ford Motor Company over he bought himself a new LS460 and said he wanted his company to be like lexus....... well........... What did ya expect? Only one way to do that........
Old 10-12-07, 06:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It's sad to see him go, but ultimately this is not a big deal. Toyota as a company has a VERY deep pool of talented people. The key to Toyota's success is how integrated the company is and how everyone from line workers to engineers to managers works together as a team.

This fundamentally differs from most US companies. All these American automakers scooping up Toyota execs tells me of one thing; desperation. I get the feeling that Chrysler and Ford think that these Toyota execs will offer them a "quick fix" and turn around the company in no time. Sorry to say, that's not going to happen.

FYI, American automakers have been scooping up Japanese execs since the 1970s and what good has come out of it? Not much I would say.
Old 10-12-07, 10:55 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Default Arguably the best article I've seen on Jim Farley's departure from Lexus

Car industry abuzz over defectors
Analyst: Farley's exit might suggest start of migration back to Detroit of U.S. execs tempted by opportunities.
by Christine Tierney / The Detroit News

Do two high-level defections from Toyota Motor Corp. to Detroit automakers signal a trend?

In less than a month, Toyota lost its highest-ranking American, Jim Press, to Chrysler LLC, and the most promising fast-tracker in its U.S. operations, Jim Farley, to Ford Motor Co.

Officials at the Japanese automaker say the intense recruitment of their executives reflects the company's strong performance in the U.S. market, and they say they have a deep bench of seasoned U.S. executives to fill any empty slots.

But the industry was buzzing with varying interpretations why talented executives were leaving. Farley, general manager of Lexus in North America, resigned Wednesday.

"I was flabbergasted," said Rosario Criscuolo, a Toyota and Lexus dealer and former chairman of Toyota's national dealer council. "You don't like to see a future Hall-of-Famer leave your team."

Criscuolo said he didn't expect Farley's departure to lead to any disruption in sales operations, but he said Farley, 45, and Press, 60, had been effective in conveying dealers' concerns to the top management in Japan.

"(Farley) probably does represent something of a loss for them," said Maryann Keller, an auto analyst and head of Maryann Keller & Associates in Stamford, Conn.

She said Press' departure reflected the frustration of an executive who had been promoted after more than 30 years with the company to a grand but largely advisory role. Toyota appointed him the first non-Japanese member of its board, but "he and Toyota recognized that there was no next step for him," Keller said.

Losing Farley, however, might suggest the start of a migration back to Detroit of U.S. executives tempted by the turnaround challenges.

"For years and years, it was a one-way street from Michigan to southern California, and what's interesting is that it's probably now going to go the other way," she said.

Most industry analysts say Toyota will weather the loss of the executives.

"Lexus has a very strong management development program," said George Peterson, president of the Tustin, Calif., consulting firm AutoPacific. "They have a bunch of people they have been grooming for years."

Farley's replacement Mark Templin, vice president of Scion, previously held several positions at Lexus, heading parts and service, marketing and running a field office in Atlanta.

"I've been at Toyota for 20 years. It was a tough decision," Farley said in a brief interview Thursday. "But I think it was the best thing for my own development to grow as a professional."

Some of Farley's colleagues said that he might have felt frustrated after his last promotion, from head of marketing for the Toyota brand to general manager of Lexus.

They said he was probably ready for a bigger job as general manager of the Toyota division, but that job went to Bob Carter, the former general manager of Lexus.

Carter and Jim Lentz, the top U.S. sales executives at Toyota, are not likely to leave those positions anytime soon. Carter is 48 and Lentz is 52.

"At Toyota you have to be much more patient," Peterson said. "The moves don't come as quickly."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...710120344/1148
Old 10-12-07, 11:17 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

As I stated above, it could explain for some of the defections, but who knows....

Union questions auto execs' pay packages

What's this?
By Sharon Silke Carty, USA TODAY
DETROIT — The United Auto Workers says it knows it needs to help Detroit's automakers cut labor costs to reduce the gap in production expenses with Asian rivals. But as talks continue on new contracts, the union also is questioning why top executives at the automakers are paid what they are.
"As much as workers do, workers can't do enough, and as much as executives get, they cannot get enough," UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said during last month's two-day strike against General Motors (GM).

CHRYSLER TALKS: UAW, automaker press the deadline
During talks with GM, the UAW pointed out that while the automaker has complained that hourly wages and benefits are dragging it down, it has continued awarding bonuses to its top executives.

GM CEO Rick Wagoner earned $9.3 million in salary and bonus in 2006, nearly double what he earned in 2005.

While UAW members finish voting on a new contract with General Motors that includes a cost-of-living freeze, union negotiators have moved on to Chrysler, with Ford Motor (F) next.

Chrysler's new CEO, Bob Nardelli, became a symbol of corporate excess when he left Home Depot early this year with a $210 million severance package. Ford's new CEO, Alan Mulally, got $27.8 million in salary and bonus in his first few months on the job, including an $18.5 million signing bonus.

Some top executives have taken steps to curtail their pay during automakers' recent financial difficulties. Former Ford CEO Bill Ford took only $1 in wages during his tenure and donated much of his stock-based pay to charity. Wagoner and his top lieutenants took a base pay cut, although they continued to get bonuses.

Pros and cons

The automakers didn't want to comment on the issue.

Critics say automotive executive paydays are out of line with what's happening in the industry. "It seems like something out of the gilded age," says Chris Kutalik, an editor at Labor Notes newspaper. "It's such a glaring disparity."

Others say executive salaries are determined by what companies are willing to pay for the talent. "There's pros and cons to every bit of it. Do you want the job of being a CEO of a bankrupt supplier for nothing? The question becomes what's the right amount of pay for the job that's being rendered," says Laurie Harbour Felax, auto industry consultant at Stout Risius Ross.

Mulally defended his pay package to reporters last summer, saying, "All the skills required to run a business are market-driven."

Pay packages at U.S. automakers don't stand out compared with those at other U.S. companies. The median 2006 compensation for CEOs at 50 of the largest U.S. companies was $17.8 million, according to a USA TODAY analysis of data from Salary.com's CompAnalyst Executive database. Packages included salary, bonus, perks and stock and options awards.

But U.S. executive pay outpaces that of Asian companies, including Asian automakers.

Detroit automakers have focused on the gap between their hourly workers and those of the non-union foreign automakers in the USA. Union workers say the executive pay gap should be examined, as well.

"There is a huge difference between Asia and here when it comes to the top executive compensation," says Han Kim, a professor of business administration at the University of Michigan. "Rarely in Asia, especially Japan and Korea, do the CEOs get paid more than a million dollars."

Japanese companies are not required to break out salaries and bonuses for top executives. Instead, they lump them together. Last year, Toyota's top 37 executives earned a combined $21.6 million in salary and bonuses, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. U.K. firm Manifest Information Services, which analyzes proxy information, estimates Toyota's top executive, Hiroshi Okuda, earned $903,000 in 2006.

At Honda, the top 21 earned $11.1 million, combined, in salary and bonuses, SEC filings show.

"There is this huge gap between the average worker and the CEO, and the gap is greatest in the U.S.," Kim says. "That kind of thing might work where individual work counts the most, but in the manufacturing sector, it's all about teamwork."

It's difficult to get a precise comparison because Japanese companies are not required to include perks. "It's a very tough comparison to make," says David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research. The perks given to Japanese executives can include homes, chauffeurs, country club memberships. In the USA, "our disclosure on things like this is pretty complete. The first inclination is to say there's this huge difference, but I don't think that's true."

"It's true that they have some of those extra perks," Felax says. "But let's not kid ourselves; so do the American guys."

Focus on hourly pay

Despite UAW grumbling about executive pay, the focus throughout the current labor negotiations has been on hourly worker pay. GM's proposed contract attempts to close the gap between its workers and those of its foreign rivals.

It's estimated that GM workers earn an average $73 an hour when benefits including health care and pensions are added in. That appears to be about $25 an hour more than Toyota's U.S. workers.

Toyota and GM workers earn about the same hourly wages. Benefits are what push the UAW members ahead. The GM contract slashes the hourly rate by making changes in retiree health care. The contract also will allow GM to bring in certain workers at lower wages.

For Gregory Stack, a Chrysler union worker in Detroit, the conversation about hourly pay seems unfair.

"We're all pretty much watching helplessly as the situation with the domestic auto industry worsens daily," says Stack, who is a third-generation autoworker. "Unions are getting a lot of negative press as being the sole cause of all the problems with the corporations."

While he's willing to take some concessions in the upcoming contract, he says he hopes something is done to fix the wage structure up top, as well.

"The disparity is massive," he says. "It does not all necessarily lie with the unions."
Old 10-12-07, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
FYI, American automakers have been scooping up Japanese execs since the 1970s and what good has come out of it? Not much I would say.
Yes and no. Domestic manufacturers produce MUCH more reliable vehicles today than they did in the 1970's. You have to have grown up with some of those 1970's domestic vehicles (like I did) to understand what junk they were...especially some of the late 70's Chrysler products.

But, while Buick and Ford have shown improvement lately, and the new Cadillac CTS is superb, there is little arguement that Asian manufacturers, overall, are still ahead in the quality department, and German manufacturers are ahead in the drivability department.

The main problem with domestic vehicles today, with rare exceptions like the new CTS, is the second-rate quality of the interior and exterior trim materials and hardware. IMO, both the Europeans and Asians are generally well ahead of Detroit in those areas.

Quick Reply: BREAKING NEWS:Toyota Announces New Lexus Leadership after GM Jim Farley Jumps to Ford