Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Crown Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 06:22 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Toyota Crown Hybrid

Toyota Crown Luxury Hybrid
The Crown luxury hybrid vehicle could best be described as Toyota’s version of the Lexus LS600h hybrid flagship saloon. Engineers have packed the vehicle with the latest technologies from Toyota’s research labs and then added an opulent leather and woodgrain interior.

The concept showcases Toyota’s latest VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management) hybrid drive system. It has a two-stage motor speed reduction device that helps achieve smooth acceleration, high fuel efficiency, low CO2 and other exhaust emissions and quietness.

Occupants are treated with a LCD “Finegraphic Meter” interface system as well as ten airbags. Other safety features include active steering control as well as traction and stability control.

Old 10-10-07, 07:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think people want to pay more than $50k for a Toyota (unless it's a truck/SUV).

Keep the FWD sedans in Toyota.
Give the RWD sedans to Lexus.
Old 10-10-07, 07:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

No info on specs. yet, & I don't think they are the same as those of the Lexus 600hL, probably smaller engine for the Crown . . .
Old 10-10-07, 07:26 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69

Toyota Crown Luxury Hybrid
The Crown luxury hybrid vehicle could best be described as Toyota’s version of the Lexus LS600h hybrid flagship saloon. Engineers have packed the vehicle with the latest technologies from Toyota’s research labs and then added an opulent leather and woodgrain interior.

The concept showcases Toyota’s latest VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management) hybrid drive system. It has a two-stage motor speed reduction device that helps achieve smooth acceleration, high fuel efficiency, low CO2 and other exhaust emissions and quietness.

Occupants are treated with a LCD “Finegraphic Meter” interface system as well as ten airbags. Other safety features include active steering control as well as traction and stability control.

I thought the Crown was closely related to the GS/IS, so my guess is that it's closer to a GS/IS hybrid. The Crown already uses the 3.5 V6 RWD drivetrain so it's easy to swap the GS hybrid drivetrain into the Crown.
Old 10-10-07, 07:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I actually think they should leave certain things exclusive to Lexus to promote & build up their luxury brand as much as possible in Japan rather than create a Toyota competitor to the Lexus GS hybrid, etc., so not such a hot idea to me . . .
Old 10-10-07, 08:25 AM
LexFather

That front end is WAAAAAAAAAAAY to busy

Old 10-10-07, 09:40 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good but they really shouldnt try to ocmpete with the GS Hybrid.
Old 10-10-07, 10:47 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I thought the Crown was closely related to the GS/IS, so my guess is that it's closer to a GS/IS hybrid. The Crown already uses the 3.5 V6 RWD drivetrain so it's easy to swap the GS hybrid drivetrain into the Crown.
There are several Crowns, Royal is the LS competitor, Majesta is the GS, Athlete is the IS, and Sedan and Comfort are like the base taxi types
Old 10-10-07, 11:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Crown has a huge history and reputation in Japan; it would be silly for Toyota to stop updating and expanding the Crown range. The Crown won't be competing with the GS because the GS will move upmarket.
Old 10-10-07, 12:18 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
There are several Crowns, Royal is the LS competitor, Majesta is the GS, Athlete is the IS, and Sedan and Comfort are like the base taxi types
yep. the crown will never make it to the states
Old 10-10-07, 12:27 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't think people want to pay more than $50k for a Toyota (unless it's a truck/SUV).
You mean American people, right?

Perhaps you're right about that, but I'm not so sure. I started a thread awhile back about whether Toyota could sell cars above 40k in the states, which had mixed reaction. As Lexus & Toyota separate from each other more and more, I see this as a possibility in the future. If there is enough difference in the products offered between the two brands, I see no reason why Toyota couldn't bring the Crown & other 40k+ vehicles to the US. Will they sell in huge numbers? probably not, but they will sell, IMO.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Keep the FWD sedans in Toyota.
Give the RWD sedans to Lexus.
As far as the FWD/RWD thing goes, if Toyota continues to offer more and more powerful engines in their lineup, they will have no choice but to at least add AWD to their models. The Avalon for example is already pushing the FWD barrier as it is. If they start pumping them out with 300hp (pretty likely by the way things are going), they won't be able to keep them FWD.
Old 10-10-07, 01:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
You mean American people, right?

Perhaps you're right about that, but I'm not so sure. I started a thread awhile back about whether Toyota could sell cars above 40k in the states, which had mixed reaction. As Lexus & Toyota separate from each other more and more, I see this as a possibility in the future. If there is enough difference in the products offered between the two brands, I see no reason why Toyota couldn't bring the Crown & other 40k+ vehicles to the US. Will they sell in huge numbers? probably not, but they will sell, IMO.

As far as the FWD/RWD thing goes, if Toyota continues to offer more and more powerful engines in their lineup, they will have no choice but to at least add AWD to their models. The Avalon for example is already pushing the FWD barrier as it is. If they start pumping them out with 300hp (pretty likely by the way things are going), they won't be able to keep them FWD.
Simple. Every book about Lexus success and Acura/Infiniti failings, every article, every paragraph states a HUGE part of the problem was Lexus avoided having Toyota/Lexus vehicles in teh same price segment.

IN contrast, Infiniti's and Acuras could be had in teh same price range as Nissans and Hondas. It creates market CONFUSION. Your upscale brand should be upscale.

TOyota is 100% correct in leaving this very storied car in Japan and not bringing it here OR in Europe. That is what Leuxs is for.

Old 10-10-07, 02:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Crown has a huge history and reputation in Japan; it would be silly for Toyota to stop updating and expanding the Crown range. The Crown won't be competing with the GS because the GS will move upmarket.
Sure they do, I've looked at the Japanese prices for the Crown & GS, big overlap in price range, & I'm not sure what you mean by GS moving upmarket, first next GS won't come until 2012, & it can't go too much upmarket with the regular GS except the possibility of a GS-F, which won't be a volume model anyway.

As far as trying to differentiate more between the Toyota & their luxury Lexus brand in Japan is concerned, I think there's too much overlap between the GS & the Crown even now, without this model in the article.
Old 10-10-07, 03:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Sure they do, I've looked at the Japanese prices for the Crown & GS, big overlap in price range, & I'm not sure what you mean by GS moving upmarket, first next GS won't come until 2012, & it can't go too much upmarket with the regular GS except the possibility of a GS-F, which won't be a volume model anyway.

As far as trying to differentiate more between the Toyota & their luxury Lexus brand in Japan is concerned, I think there's too much overlap between the GS & the Crown even now, without this model in the article.
I know the overlap exists now. What I'm saying is that there will be less of an overlap in the future.
Old 10-10-07, 03:26 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Simple. Every book about Lexus success and Acura/Infiniti failings, every article, every paragraph states a HUGE part of the problem was Lexus avoided having Toyota/Lexus vehicles in teh same price segment.

IN contrast, Infiniti's and Acuras could be had in teh same price range as Nissans and Hondas. It creates market CONFUSION. Your upscale brand should be upscale.

TOyota is 100% correct in leaving this very storied car in Japan and not bringing it here OR in Europe. That is what Leuxs is for.
What you don't seem to understand is that Lexus has been trying to distinguish itself from Toyota and become a completely separate brand on its own. To keep referring to it as "Toyota's upscale brand" turns whatever prestige the Lexus name has into something cheaper. The fact that you don't seem to realize this is astonishing.

There is a reason why Toyota created the Lexus line. At the time, they felt they needed a luxury name to sell luxury cars. They were right - at that time. But things have changed and the Toyota name is much more respected now than it was 20 years ago. It is for this reason that I believe it would be possible for Toyota, the brand, to bring to market its own higher end models. Certainly I'm not suggesting they start putting out 100k luxury cruisers. But if they could sell 40k+ cars in Japan for years under the Toyota name, why couldn't they do it here?

And please, no comparisons to Volkswagen and what they tried to do with the Phaeton. Volkswagen does not have nearly the same brand recognition in this country that Toyota does.

Quick Reply: Toyota Crown Hybrid