Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Sedan

Old 10-02-07, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Sedan

A review of the new, redesigned 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan.

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....mmand=overview

In a Nutshell: Chump Change for More-Than-Chump traction and reliability.

As many of you know, every fall, about this time, I do a recommended list and short write-ups of inexpensive, AWD, snow-capable vehicles. While the Subaru Impreza, IMO, had been the reigning champ for years as the best-value, inexpensive AWD car for the money, particularly among those at $20,000 and below...........last year, as you may remember, there a notable change as Suzuki introduced the all-new SX-4. The SX-4, value-wise, eclipsed the last-generation Impreza in several areas, not only starting as low as $15,000 for base versions, but, unlike Subaru, offering a 3-position switch on the dash to select from FWD/AWD/AWD lock. The SX-4 allowed the driver to electronically disconnect the AWD and run only on the two front wheels for slightly better acceleration and mileage when conditions allowed, or to use AWD Lock for tough conditions, though, of course, it is not a true off-roader.The new SX-4, last year, by a substantial margin, beat out the Impreza for the first time for what was, IMO, the best inexpensive AWD value in the American market. But the SX-4 did have 3 significant things going against it (see my SX-4 review for full details). First, though tall, it was quite short and narrow. Second, it had marginal power, especially in the AWD mode. Third, unlike bulletproof Subaru AWD designs, it was new and unproven....though the long, generous warranty helped address that problem.

I'm not going to do my usual, general write-up of inexpensive AWD cars this year, for several reasons. First, the SX-4, being all-new last year, has not substantially changed this year. Neither has the Subaru Forester. The Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe AWD models have been dropped and are no longer in production. The Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, and Mitsubishi Outlander have all been redesigned since then......I have not formally reviewed any of those three since they were redesigned, so I don't want to get into a long write-up about any of them without having done so first. And the RAV-4, in some versions, is certainly not on the inexpensive list any more, with a V6 and third-row seating like its big brother Highlander. The Suzuki AWD Aerio, still in showrooms, will not be around much longer....it will soon be dropped, so there is little sense wasting time on that car either.

So, that brings us, now, to the subject of this review.......new 2008 Impreza; in effect, totally redesigned around the same old reliable 2.5L Subaru AWD systems (manuals, as before, get different center-differential systems than the automatics). The new 2008 Impreza, like its big-brother Subaru Tribeca, tosses out the odd, controversial, airplane-type grille and front end used on the last-generation model for a more conventional and IMO more classy one. As before, the base 2.5i sedan, wagon, Outback Sport, WRX, and STi models will be offered (I saw the new WRX briefly but did not review it, and the new STi has not come in yet). I won't get into the new WRX/STi in this write-up.....they are in a totally different price class/driving style than the base Impreza models.

There have been some complaints in the auto press (and here on CAR CHAT) about the new Impreza's styling. I myself don't have any problems with the front end, or with the sedan in general, but I agree that the rear end of the 5-door/wagon model, particularly the hour-glass-shaped D-pillar, looks a little awkward (I'll get into the exterior a little more below).

One prediction that I DID make, last year, when the Suzuki SX-4 came out, was that this new, hot competition for the Impreza might have an effect on the Impreza's price. Score one.....Subaru has quietly (and without an official explanation) dropped the price of the base model Impreza with manual transmission to just below $17,000, substantially less than where it was last year. It is still not in the Suzuki's ultra-low range, but it is a noticeable drop.........In a free society, never underestimate the power of competition in the marketplace to keep prices in check. Subaru has managed to do this, while, at the same time, making several improvements to the car such as better interior materials and a nice strut-supported hood (no more prop-rod), but the lack of a temperature gauge in the dash is an annoyance that seems directly traced to cost-cutting. I guess SOMETHING has to go, though, when you improve a car in several areas and then drop the price.

So, now let's take a look at the the new Impreza in closer detail. Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan

Base price: $16,995

Major Options: None

Destination: $645

List Price as Reviewed: $17,640

Exterior Color: Newport Blue Pearl

Interior: Ivory Tricot Cloth

Drivetrain: 2.5L horizontally-opposed flat-four, 170 HP @ 6000 RPM, 170 ft-lbs. torque at 4400 RPM,
5-speed manual transmission, Symetrical, viscous-type AWD.

PLUSSES:

Well-proven, reliable, Subaru AWD system

An excellent bargain.

Nice paint job.

Strut-supported hood unusual in this price class.

Traditionally strong, safe, crash-resistant Subaru unibody.

Solid-feeling doors.

Nice exterior hardware and trim.

Nice, clear gauges.

Solid-feeling, no-sponge brakes.

Good shift linkage and clutch action.

Roomy inside enough for tall people.

Comfortable, semi-supportive seats.

Classy interior and exterior trim.

Unusual, pleasant, ivory-colored steering wheel (most are black).

Standard steering-wheel buttons for cruise control.

Standard, limited-function trip computer.

Good interior hardware.

Power windows, mirrors, and door locks standard even on base models.

Active head restraints unusual in this price class.

Easy-to-tune radio *****.

Simple and effective controls.

Good stereo for an entry-level car.

Relatively quiet ride with muted wind and tire noise.

Easy-to reach engine components for do-it-yourselfers.

No unnecesary plastic covers for the engine.

MINUSES:

No temperature gauge.

Rear drum brakes on base models without Premium Package.

Limited paint color choice.

No side strips for door-ding protection.

Mediocre suspension.

Fairly slow steering response with marked body roll.

Fairly stiff ride, especially concerning the soft body roll.

Low ground clearance limits use in deep snow (the Impreza Outback Sport is a little better).

Fairly slow acceleration even with manual transmission.

VW-style, hand-lever seat-height adjuster clumsy and unnecessary.

Trip computer accuracy questionable.

Engine noise noticeable above 3000 RPM.

Unpleasant surfaces on the headliner and sun visors.

Cheap-looking wheels and dull-plastic wheel covers on base version.

Dull, plain-looking seat cloth has little pattern to the fabric.

Small trunk opening (the 5-door wagon model, of course, solves that).

Old-fashioned ignition key with no push-button or twist-**** start.

Although the grille, with its classy, well-done chrome and multi-star Subaru oval, looks not unlike those of recent Outbacks and Legacys, in general, one would have a hard time, at first glance, recognizing this car as a Subaru product. The sedan especially, at several different angles, is more suggestive of a Corolla, Civic, or Mazda3 sedan.....and the 5-door wagon has, IMO, a rather ungainly rear-end appearance. I would not necessarily call either version an ugly car, but the sedan, IMO, definitely looks better from a styling point of view. The paint job is well-done for a car in this class......about the same as a Civic, and exceeded only by the near-perfect, benchmark Toyota/Scion small-car paint jobs. Though the color choice is limited, and the desirable two-tones are offered only on the Outback Sport version of the car, several colors are NICE, especially the Satin White Pearl, Lightning Red, Newport Blue Pearl (essentially the same color as the Atlantic Blue Pearl on my own Outback, just renamed), and the ultra-classy Dark Gray Metallic (with its lovely silverflake metallic particles mixed in, so much different from the usual funeral-home dark gray so many other automakers use).

The outside exterior chrome and hardware is all first-rate. I've already mentioned the chrome grille....a nice, well-done, classy chrome bar also adorns the trunk lid, even on the base car...and it doesn't look or feel like a GM or Chrysler-style piece of cheap plastic coated with even worse, uneven "chrome". The outside mirrors feel solid and snap in and out of their swivel-stops firmly and precisely.....again, totally unlike many domestic cars.....and even better than on its big brother Subaru Tribeca. The body trim, door handles, etc.... all feel solid and securely attached. All four doors, unlike the last-generation Impreza, shut solidly and with a "thunk". The flat-black, stamped-steel wheels, however, look cheap, and the poorly-finished painted-silver plastic wheel covers just as bad. You don't expect high-dollar, classy, alloy wheels on an entry-level car in this price range (although Hyundai, Kia, and some other companies offer them at this price), but these wheels and covers look cheap even by economy-car standards. The low ground clearance under the chassis, unlike Foresters and Outbacks, limits the car's ability, despite AWD, to take on deep snow or mud.

Open the rather lightweight, aluminum hood (like on other Subarus), and Old Faithful, once again, resides underneath.....the ubiquitous, horizontally-opposed, 2.5 liter flat-four that has been around for years, originally debuting in 1.8 and 2.2 liter versions (yes, the same engine that is in my Outback). This engine, in both turbo and non-turbo forms, powers most of the 4-cylinder vehicles that Subaru sells in the American market....some versions of the STi being an exception. This engine, like the 3.0L flat-six, is ideally suited for AWD, with its rearward-facing output shaft avoiding some of the complexity required of other AWD designs with transverse-mount in-line or V engines. In addition, the low center of gravity of the flat-cylinder design also helps the vehicle's handling (unfortunately, the base Impreza's suspension doesn't......more on that later) and gives higher-stance Subarus the car-like handling they are famous for. And Subaru doesn't bolt on those big, nonsensical, unnecessary plastic engine covers on the 2.5 like so many other engines have that block access to everything. This engine, especially on the versions that don't have a cover panel underneath on the chasssis, is a DIY'ers paradise for easy oil changes....both the filter and drain plug are right next to each other, right on the lower side of the engine under the front bumper. While it needs to be said that older versions of the 2.5 had notable head-gasket problems (mainly 1999-2002, known as Phase II engines), newer ones, due to a gasket redesign and better factory coolant, have been virtually bulletproof.

The trunk, on the sedan, is not nearly as accomodating, with its fairly small opening.....a result of the highly raked rear windows so common to today's sedans. It is fairly well-finished inside, with a grade of carpet more or less appropriate for the price class, and has a removable, multi-compartment tray under the carpeted cover, and below that, the compact spare and jack.

The interior, despite the rather plain-looking Tricot/suede cloth and a few design annoyances inside (more on that in a second) , was, in general, a step up from the previous Impreza. The seats were generally comfortable and well-shaped, with somewhat flattish cushions (this is, of course, not a sports car with high-bolsters) and a nice, durable-feeling, though plain-looking ivory-beige cloth. The seat hardware felt durable as well, but I found the big, VW-style pump-lever for the seat cushion height to be intrusive, awkward, and unnecessary. Headroom, front and rear, in this non-sunroof car was fine for big people my size, as was a reasonable amount of legroom. The steering column tilts manually but does not telescope....appropriate for this class of car. The wheel itself, unlike many other vehicles, was a matching shade of ivory/beige, with nice solid-feeling silver trim on the spokes. Power windows, door locks, and mirrors are all standard, along with cruise control (yes, even on the bare-bones model), and the cruise-control buttons, for the first time on an Impreza, are wheel-mounted. The general interior decor is triple-tone, with a black upper dash, silver/gray trim, and the rest of the interior beige-ivory. It is head-and-shoulders, looks-wise, above the previous Impreza, and has not only pleasant-looking colors but pleasant-looking and feeling patterns as well. All of the buttons, controls, and switches have a nice, solid precise feel and operation, with good hardware. The better-than-average stereo (for an entry-level car) had a convienent tuning **** instead of the awkward rocker buttons in some other Subarus, and its other controls and functions were easy to use and figure out as well. The gauges on the dash for the speedometer, tach, and fuel level were simple, attractive, and clear.....but here is where Subaru designers made a BIG mistake, probably in the name of cost-cutting. Like on the Toyota Echo, there is no temperature gauge...only a big, oversized fuel gauge that could have easily been divided into fuel and temperature gauges. Also like on the Echo, the designers wired up a blue idiot light that goes on during a cold start and then goes off when the engine reaches a (?) temperature (presumably normal range ). Supposedly a red light warns of overheating........but I didn't notice if or where one was located. Come on, guys. I can understand cost-cutting, but NOT with something like coolant temperature ..........coolant is one of the engine's two life-bloods (although, to be fair, the majority of cars don't have oil-pressure gauges either).

Start it up with an old-style ignition key (no buttons, proximity devices, or twist-***** here), and the flat-four settles into a fairly smooth idle. Subaru boxer-engine designs have never been known for Lexus-type smoothness and quietness (notwithstanding the Subaru ads that say otherwise), and the 2.5, while fairly quiet and refined compared to previous Subaru engines (I can remember the old Subaru engines from the 70s and 80s that would wake up the dead), is not exactly Lexus LS-460 like either....you can tell it is running. The power level is adequate for most normal driving, but, even with the more efficient manual transmission and clutch, is not a Friday night dragster machine either. We all know the benefits of AWD. Here is the downside to it...its weight and drag take a toll on gas mileage and acceleration, especially with smaller engines. The manual and automatic-transmission models both have the same mileage ratings (20/27), but that, of course, reflests the new EPA rating system that more closely approxamates what you actually get. The engine, on the road, is fairly smooth and quiet at lower RPM's but gets a little less civilized as you get above 3000....I, of course, as usual, did not go over 4000 with this new engine.

The clutch and manual transmission, while not Honda Civic-precise, was definitely one of the better units I've tried. The clutch action, take-up, and engagement point were smooth and well-defined, and the shift linkage was smooth and well-defined but not notchy. I never missed or misjudged a shift in any normal kind of driving style. Even grabbing reverse was a cinch...click, click; right over and down.

Noise control, outside of the occasional engine and exhaust racket, was pretty good for an entry-level car. Wind, road, and tire noise was pretty well muted (Subaru, with its trademark frameless side-door windows, has to use other methods of accomplishing this than most other vehicles). Again, it was no Town car or LS460, but it was a LONG way from the Subarus I remember from many years ago. But the suspension still needs work, especially on this base model. Most cars, all other things equal, especially with conventional non-electronic or single-valve shocks, have a ride-handling compromise......in general, the firmer the ride, the better the handling, and vice-versa...the better the ride, the clumsier the handling. Not with this car, at least to the seat of my pants. Same with tires......in general, all other things equal, the lower the profile, the better the handling and the worse the ride. The higher the profile, the better the ride and the worse the handling. (I, myself, as most of you know, tend to prefer ride comfort over handling...within reason, of course. I do want SOME response). But the Impreza's base suspension manages to combine a rather mediocre ride with mediocre handling as well. Steering response was slow, with pronounced body roll, even with the low-center-of-gravity boxer engine. Yet the ride was not impressive either...bumps and road imperfections could be clearly heard and felt, even with the tires at a reasonable PSI. The Outback 2.5i is clearly superior in both counts......ride AND handling.

Brakes were one of the car's better points, despite the rear drums of the base model. (I actually like drums for two points.....they don't warp and shimmy like disc brake rotors can, and they make better parking brakes, but drums can be miserable when they get wet). The pedal feel was smooth, solid, well-proportioned and modulated, and had no sponginess at all...you got at least some reaction the moment you pushed it. The pedal was quite accomodating and forgiving of my size-15 clown shoes, and I did not get any of the shoe hang-up under the edge brake pedal that I do in some cars. 4-channel ABS and EBD is standard even on the base package brake.....an upgrade to 4-wheel discs, Brake Assist, and VDC stability system is optional with the Premium Package, which my car didn't have.

The Verdict?

By now, the question many of you, no doubt, are wondering is: does the new, lower-priced, base-model Impreza regain its title from the Suzuki SX-4 as what I consider the best inexpensive AWD value on the market? No, it does not.......but it is now in a very close second. The new Impreza, as mentioned above, has narrowed the price gap somewhat for its base models (still not to the SX-4's level), and the Impreza's new interior is pleasant, attractive, well-crafted, and functional. The Subaru AWD system remains well-proved and reliable, and with that new lower price, the Impreza 2.5i is now even more of a bargain than last year. But the Suzuki still undercuts the Impreza on price by about $1500 (depending on model and options), and Subaru has not yet copied Suzuki's 3-position FWD/AWD/Lock switch either....a big advantage for the SX-4. Nor has Subaru seen fit to offer Suzuki's much longer drivetrain warranty either. The Impreza has a new strut-supported hood, a nice touch, but the lack of a proper temperature gauge is annoying and unnecessary...idiot lights are no substitution for it. And, IMO, more work needs to be done in the base-model Impreza's ride/handling trade-off....the present base suspension compromises both too much.

But for those who don't live near a Suzuki dealership (they are not exactly on every corner, and even in my dealer-rich area the closest one is almost 25 miles), or for any reason don't care for the SX-4, the Impreza remains, far and away, the best alternative. Its price, for 2.5i models, is still extremely low for an AWD vehicle; its AWD system, though less flexible than the Suzuki's, is more proven, and Impreza's resale value, of coure, is traditionally strong as well. Both remain great entry-level cars for a college student going off to school in a bad-weather area or just for daily bad-weather transportation, shopping, and commuting. (For you worried parents, the Impreza, with its super-strong, reinforced B-pillars, will likely be safer in a crash, especially a side-impact one).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-07 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 11:16 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read your review about STI model!!!
Old 10-02-07, 11:43 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the 2008 looks weird. I don't care for the SX-4 either.

From experience, I can only say that the 07 2.5i is a great daily driver. I prefer the Legacy over the Impreza. The new Legacy has those stupid reflectors on the rear bumper that makes it look like an IS350, but thats for another debate.
Old 10-03-07, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
cool!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read your review about STI model!!!
The new STi is not out quite yet, at least in this area. I looked at the new WRX briefly, which IS out. It appears to have a more complete set of gauges than the bread-and-butter Impreza, but IMO is rather overpriced for what you get.....base price starts over 28K, and NAV models can run 30K and more. The 2007 STi starts at over 33K......and the 2008 is likely to run even more. The STi's pricing, of course, will likely be determined, in part, by where Mitsubishi sets the new Evo's price. The Evo is its only direct competition, but VW is bringing back an AWD V6 R32 which will be some minor competition as well.

I avoided AWD performance cars in this review because that was not the intention. I wanted to check out an El Cheapo Impreza and compare it to the El Cheapo SX-4....the two best inexpensive snow cars. Each fall, before it starts snowing, I give my recommendations for the best way to get inexpensive snow transportation (besides a good pair of boots ). The SX-4 still wins, but the new Impreza is close....and its AWD system is more proven.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-07 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 05:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pingu
IMO, the 2008 looks weird. I don't care for the SX-4 either.

From experience, I can only say that the 07 2.5i is a great daily driver. I prefer the Legacy over the Impreza. The new Legacy has those stupid reflectors on the rear bumper that makes it look like an IS350, but thats for another debate.
Of course the Legacy is a nicer car than the Impreza. It also costs several thousand dollars more, and the Legacy wagons (along with Outback sedans) have been dropped for 2008....the Impreza still gives you a choice of body styles. And the new Impreza also has a nice touch that the current Legacy doesn't....a strut-supported hood.

I fully agree with you about Subarus being some of the best daily drivers, though....especially the non-turbo 2.5 models that run on 87 Octane. The turbo 4 and all of the 3.0L flat-sixes need premium gas, though I understand some of the new sixes may be retuned for regular as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-07 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 05:55 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The new STi is not out quite yet, at least in this area. I looked at the new WRX briefly, which IS out. It appears to have a more complete set of gauges than the bread-and-butter Impreza, but IMO is rather overpriced for what you get.....base price starts over 28K, and NAV models can run 30K and more. The 2007 STi starts at over 33K......and the 2008 is likely to run even more. The STi's pricing, of course, will likely be determined, in part, by where Mitsubishi sets the new Evo's price. The Evo is its only direct competition, but VW is bringing back an AWD V6 R32 which will be some minor competition as well.

I avoided AWD performance cars in this review because that was not the intention. I wanted to check out an El Cheapo Impreza and compare it to the El Cheapo SX-4....the two best inexpensive snow cars. Each fall, before it starts snowing, I give my recommendations for the best way to get inexpensive snow transportation (besides a good pair of boots ). The SX-4 still wins, but the new Impreza is close....and its AWD system is more proven.
The R32 is available now! Please do a review, please please please?
Old 10-03-07, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
The R32 is available now! Please do a review, please please please?
Yes, I know it's out. I'll put it on the review list.
The few I've seen mostly have the DSG transmission...a superb piece of equipment. I first tried out a DSG last year in an Audi A3.
Old 10-03-07, 07:12 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-03-07, 07:26 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

And since we are on the topic, I find this hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cKNR3yLM0A
Old 10-03-07, 08:59 AM
Koma

Yes, I know it's out. I'll put it on the review list.
The few I've seen mostly have the DSG transmission...a superb piece of equipment. I first tried out a DSG last year in an Audi A3.
I don't think they have a manual transmission available yet in the states.
Old 10-03-07, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And since we are on the topic, I find this hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cKNR3yLM0A
Yes, funny, but the suspension and tires on my base Impreza was a long way from that WRX. My test car would have probably spun out or rolled under those conditions....and I was smart enough not to try it.

In fact, the suspension on my test car, IMO, was one of the car's weakest points. It managed to be second-rate in BOTH ride and handling....usually there is a trade off, one for the other.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 10:34 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol subaglue
Old 10-03-07, 11:52 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny!!!
Old 10-03-07, 05:31 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

In fact, the suspension on my test car, IMO, was one of the car's weakest points. It managed to be second-rate in BOTH ride and handling....usually there is a trade off, one for the other.
That dissapointing. I hold Subaru in such esteem because my stock suspension Legacy handles so well. The only thing I have added was a front Cusco sway bar. As much as my dad hates to admit it, my LGT handles better than his prized, double wishboned suspension Prelude from way back when.
Old 10-03-07, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That dissapointing. I hold Subaru in such esteem because my stock suspension Legacy handles so well. The only thing I have added was a front Cusco sway bar. As much as my dad hates to admit it, my LGT handles better than his prized, double wishboned suspension Prelude from way back when.
Remember, though.....this is the base El Cheapo model Impreza. There are WRX and STi-model Imprezas in production that are essentially street-legal rally cars. They are famous for their excellent handling. The Mitsubishi Evo handles even better ( I know.....I reviewed the last-generation one), but to get that handling, the suspension and tires are so harsh it knocks your fillings out over bumps....more so than the WRX/STi. Even auto-enthusiast mags complain about the Evo's harshness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-07 at 05:45 PM.