Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The United States of Toyota Makes its Debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default The United States of Toyota Makes its Debut

New book by influential national commentator on the automotive business presents a compelling picture of the state of the industry

DETROIT, Oct. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The United States of Toyota, the explosive new book from Peter M. De Lorenzo, the founder and publisher of the influential Autoextremist.com and one of the most respected national commentators on the automotive business, made its debut this week, at a time when the domestic auto industry is undergoing dramatic upheaval and profound change.

Part business story, part history book part political/current affairs piece, The United States of Toyota: How Detroit squandered its legacy and enabled Toyota to become America's Car Company is a never-before-seen primer on Detroit - The Motor City - a town and a region dominated by the auto companies, their suppliers and their ad agencies - and by a mindset and culture all its own.

"Today, we find ourselves living in The United States of Toyota, a state of mind more than anything else but a fundamental shift in our nation's psyche nonetheless," De Lorenzo explained. "After years of calculated mediocrity and engineering to the lowest common denominator, Detroit finds itself literally and figuratively on the ropes. A once-shining beacon of American innovation and corporate manufacturing might has been reduced to a national punch line. And Detroit has no one to blame but itself."

In commentary that is as accurate as it is blunt, De Lorenzo presents the players and the action in the auto business in a way not seen before in print. His voice is unique and refreshingly candid. His provocative analyses and assessments - grounded in personal experience and a lifelong immersion in all things automotive - present a compelling picture of the state of the auto business - how it used to be, what it has become and where it is headed. From the arrogance and short-sightedness of the Detroit manufacturers to the acumen and relentlessness of Toyota, The United States of Toyota paints an insightful portrait of an iconic American industry as it struggles for survival in the early years of the twenty-first century.

"This country's tacit acquiescence of Toyota as 'America's car company' is symptomatic of a deeper issue," De Lorenzo continued. "We in this country are turning a blind eye to the crisis in Detroit because too many people across America believe that Detroit's impending demise doesn't matter. But it in fact does matter, because Detroit's fate is the canary in the coal mine for a much broader crisis in the U.S., one that points to the continuing erosion of this country's manufacturing sector. Not only are we losing our ability to make things, but worse yet, this country is losing its ability to care about it, too, thanks to the card-carrying members of the anti-car, anti-Detroit 'intelligentsia' in the media on both coasts and in the halls of Congress who insist that the loss of our domestic auto industry doesn't matter. But this just in - we can't exist as Starbucks Nation alone."

The United States of Toyota is now available on Amazon.com, Borders.com
and Powells.com.
Old 10-01-07, 09:46 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks very interesting
Old 10-01-07, 11:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

cry baby :-)
Old 10-01-07, 01:09 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
cry baby :-)
huh???
Old 10-01-07, 01:29 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Go Toyota, Lexus and Scion. GM, Ford and Chrysler did this to themselves and have no one to blame...why should we care? No one stuck a gun to anyone's head to realize that Toyota vehicles are superior to GM, Ford and Chrysler...
Old 10-01-07, 07:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Detroit cannot be blind and biased anymore. They need to wake up and realize the changes that have occurred in the past 20 years.

Detroit is still glorifying the "good old days" from the 60's through 80's, hence the retro-American movement. But muscle cars and pick-up trucks no longer rule the masses; aging baby-boomer Americans want smoother rides and gas efficiency (something that Detroit has mocked the Japanese for), whereas younger Americans want state-of-the-art technology and modern design.

Detroit has a lot of work ahead, and the first step is to swallow their pride...
Old 10-01-07, 07:52 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Detroit cannot be blind and biased anymore. They need to wake up and realize the changes that have occurred in the past 20 years.

Detroit is still glorifying the "good old days" from the 60's through 80's, hence the retro-American movement. But muscle cars and pick-up trucks no longer rule the masses; aging baby-boomer Americans want smoother rides and gas efficiency (something that Detroit has mocked the Japanese for), whereas younger Americans want state-of-the-art technology and modern design.

Detroit has a lot of work ahead, and the first step is to swallow their pride...
I kind of disagree. I drive rentals almost every week. I am currently driving a 08 Impala. This car is great! Very nice fit and finish and a great ride. It looks awesome too! I got 29mpg on the way down to McAllen, Tx today. Though Toyota CLAIMS 30+mpg hwy, I have yet to actually see that when driving the same route. Though I wouldn't take one over a Camry, I would take it over an Accord or virtually any other car in it's price point and class.

My point? I feel that Detroit is doing what they can do to stay competitive with other car makers over seas. They don't have much of a choice because of pensions and unions that are causing them to boarder on bankruptcy. Sure, I think that many of their car lines could be dissolved and consolidated, but this would put tens of thousands our of jobs and that would probably hurt the company more than help it.

They are making progress but it is slow given the mindset that has plagued their employees and staff for the last 100 years.

I would personally hate to see GM or Ford dissolved.
Old 10-01-07, 09:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

fit and finish blows in the impala. Nothing like being able to see the exterior color of the car on the window frame when youre sitting down inside the car, they dont even bother to put anything to cover it up, looks terrible. Rest of the interior is still hard plastic like usual. Texture of some of the panels in the car screams scuff magnet
Old 10-01-07, 09:40 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
fit and finish blows in the impala. Nothing like being able to see the exterior color of the car on the window frame when youre sitting down inside the car, they dont even bother to put anything to cover it up, looks terrible. Rest of the interior is still hard plastic like usual. Texture of some of the panels in the car screams scuff magnet
Are we talking about the same car? You might be referring to the last gen Impala. I just checked out your remarks in the car and you comments are not nearly accurate. The only real gripe I have about the car is the fake wood trip they use. Other than that the car is really well put together. The dash is the hard squishy stuff (not plastic). The radio ***** are all covered with rubber, the gear shifter would look better if it were gated. The power window and door lock buttons are all nice. The door is a mixture of hard and softer plastic (just like any other car in its class). The car had NO rattles or poor behavior while driving over the last 4 hours. I have had a great experience with most of the newer (06+) GM vehicles.

Compared to a new Accord or Camry you would be hard pressed to find any real worthy advantages over the Impala. I'm just being honest and open minded here.
Old 10-01-07, 11:39 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I for one would rather help Japans economy than Americas, i live in hawaii and we live on tourism, 10k japanese tourists per day durring the summer come here, screw da mainland
Old 10-02-07, 08:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll probably buy this book, should prove an interesting read

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Compared to a new Accord or Camry you would be hard pressed to find any real worthy advantages over the Impala. I'm just being honest and open minded here.
No I've been in the newer one, yes its terrible compared to other similar cars out there
i even picked the cheaper accord LX version to compare
http://www.netcarshow.com/honda/2008...llpaper_08.htm

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/...llpaper_0c.htm

There is a huge difference b/t those two interiors, ive seen truck interiors better than this, and the impala still using a 4 speed auto , 3.5 V6 with 211 hp, no worthy advantages? Thats nice. The price is the virtually same for the cheapest accord sedan and cheapest impala. New accord already looks better than the new camry, its already beaten the camry in one comarison test. If someone wanted to spend 21-22k who would willingly buy an impala when something like the accord exists.
Old 10-02-07, 04:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NEW Impala is using a 4 speed automatic? WOW. I'm completely speechless
Old 10-02-07, 05:16 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
The NEW Impala is using a 4 speed automatic? WOW. I'm completely speechless
Wow! That's awesome, back in 1980...it's 2007 now...