Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 01:49 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by balMaster
They could have easily put more power, bigger rims, wider tires, bigger brakes, firmer suspensions, and etc. to get better performance. But that's not what they wanted to build. They wanted to build a well balanced car. If you don't understand this, then this car is not for you.
So are you saying Porsche has imbalanced vehicles ? or are they not handling as well ? or are you saying an STI handle is worse than 86 ?
Old 04-29-14, 01:59 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
So are you saying Porsche has imbalanced vehicles ? or are they not handling as well ? or are you saying an STI handle is worse than 86 ?
Nope, that's not what I'm saying.
Porsche is well balanced vehicles with really high performance. And with the price tag that matches all those.
WRX STI performs better than 86 in just about any performance test.

Last edited by balMaster; 04-29-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 02:12 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by balMaster
Nope, that's not what I'm saying.
Porsche is well balanced vehicles with really high performance. And with the price tag that matches all those.
WRX STI performs better than 86 in just about any performance test.
Thank you I do also understand what the 86 is about, but really is not the car for me. Also I am surprised of how much attentions it pulled me toward Subaru. Mainly, I was paying attention to the BRZ and FR-S, then I figured the car is under-powered, so I was waiting, until now, I am going for STI, the first Subaru

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-29-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 02:19 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Thank you I do also understand what the 86 is about, but really is not the car for me. Also I am surprised of how much attentions it pulled me toward Subaru. Mainly, I was paying attention to the BRZ and FR-S, then I figured the car is under-powered, so I was waiting, until now, I am going for STI, the first Subaru
That's so true. Subaru never was on my list when shopping for a car before. But after all these 86 things, WRX and STI are top of my list.
Old 05-02-14, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default From Motoring.com.au

Convertible and four-door – with turbo and AWD-hybrid powertrains -- to join expanding Toyota 86 sports car family from this year

Convertible and four-door – with turbo and AWD-hybrid powertrains -- to join expanding Toyota 86 sports car family from this year

Toyota will launch sedan, convertible and turbo versions of the ground-breaking 86 sports car.

motoring.com.au sources in Japan this week confirmed the world’s number one car maker will round out its 86 line-up with a soft-top convertible as early as this year. This will be followed by a four-door sedan set for a 2016 debut. The four door will offer turbocharged and all-wheel drive and well as turbo-hybrid powertrains.

Born from the collaboration between Toyota and Subaru, the boxer-engined Toyota 86 coupe is a watershed model for a brand that plans to significantly expand its sports car line-up over the next decade.

After the Supra and MR2 were axed from the car-maker’s range, Toyota’s showroom floor paid absolute homage to a horde of hybrids, people-movers and SUVs, with a distinct lack of anything resembling emotion.

We’ve brought you news of a stretched 86 before, but according to our source the 86 sedan will stretch in length by 510mm to 4750mm, while retaining its current width (1780mm) and growing 100mm in height to 1400mm.

One designer we spoke to said that his team’s aim is to give the car the larger dimensions it needs to comfortably seat four adults while maintaining the original 86’s good looks.

As critical as the sedan’s proportions will be its powertrain. To cater for the larger and heavier sedan, Toyota is preparing two engines.

The flagship version will incorporate a revised version of Subaru’s DIT (Direct Injection Turbo) boxer engine generating more than 220kW (a 2.0-litre for Japan, 2.5 for export markets), married to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

In perhaps the best news for performance enthusiasts, the same turbo engines will finally find their way into the existing 86 coupe around the same time (2016), probably as part of a midlife makeover.

The turbo coupe is expected to command a price premium of around $5000.

Given Toyota’s bent for hybrids, you can guess what the other 86 sedan powertrain will be. Yep, a hybrid.

But according to our source, the boxer-hybrid fitted to Subaru’s XV Crosstrek is not powerful enough for the 86 sedan. So Toyota is readying a hybrid unit that’s compatible with Subaru’s direct-injection boxer engine.

To deliver all-wheel-drive traction, Toyota is also working on in-wheel electric motors at the front, an addition that will undoubtedly push the price of the hybrid 86 sedan up to around $50,000.

That’s why the turbo version will precede the hybrid’s launch by several months, landing in showrooms priced from under $40,000 by mid-2016.

The soft-top 86 convertible however, will arrive much earlier -- in October this year.

First unveiled at the 2013 Geneva motor show, the FT-86 Open Concept pointed to way to the convertible’s styling.

Fitted with a power roof that’s expected to fold down inside 20 seconds, the convertible is a variant that Toyota had planned from the very beginning of the collaborative effort with Subaru.

The power roof will add upwards of 30kg to the original coupe’s kerb weight, but the convertible will still employ the same 147kW 2.0-litre boxer engine.

However, expect some minor modifications to the two-door convertible’s suspension to account for its extra mass.

To be priced between $35,000 and $38,000 (in Japan), the 86 convertible is expected in showrooms globally by mid-October.
Old 05-02-14, 03:52 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ exciting news! that hybrid AWD pricetag is no joke
Old 05-02-14, 05:55 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadu
^^^ exciting news! that hybrid AWD pricetag is no joke

Cars just are insanely priced in Aussieland to begin with.

I'm pretty sure those numbers are AUD since the article originates from down undah.
Old 05-02-14, 06:25 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't hold my breathes for this. Sounds too unrealistic, and full of faults. There is no reason to do 2.5 dit sedan AWD .....unless Toyota wants a copy of the STI that obvious.

Either way, I would love a hybrid performance, just bring the Yaris hybrid R already. That thing is more realistic than any of the above rumors
Old 05-03-14, 01:05 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Toyota will launch sedan, convertible and turbo versions of the ground-breaking 86 sports car.
I'm not buying it. Maybe with the next gen 86, if there is a next gen 86. And you neglected to include the source:

SCOOP: Toyota 86 to go turbo
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/spor...go-turbo-43275
Old 05-03-14, 08:27 AM
JessePS

One thing I would love before they add a turbo to the FRS is increase the the hp from 100 hp to 125 hp per liter. Something like the original Honda S2000. I am probably dreaming in technicolor but I like to dream. Plus I wonder how much Yamaha would charge Toyota and Subaru to tune the engine, so it sounds like angels (i.e not like the LFA but something you can listen to all day long).

Plus it would be nice if Toyota would have an option to swap out many of the exterior to carbon fiber. I know you can go aftermarket and spent a nice amount, but it still be nice to have that option.

Last edited by JessePS; 05-03-14 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 10:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
I'm not buying it. Maybe with the next gen 86, if there is a next gen 86. And you neglected to include the source:

SCOOP: Toyota 86 to go turbo
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/spor...go-turbo-43275
haha don't add me to that quote I didn't say it!

And I did state the source, very top of the post it reads "From Motoring.com.au"

I simply forgot the link.
Old 05-05-14, 01:42 AM
BriinumsBo
Driver School Candidate

I would say aprils fools or false marketing from these magazines, doesnt sound real
Old 05-09-14, 09:40 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

KBB.com's brief overview of the 2014 Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S.
Old 05-12-14, 06:28 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Boosted Subaru BRZ HRDPRKR SEMA Show Stopper for Sale [w/Video]

With more than 2 million square feet of space and literally thousands of tuned vehicles, the SEMA Show can be overwhelming and it's not unusual for plenty of exhibits to go by unnoticed. The blue Subaru BRZ pictured here is from the 2013 edition of the SEMA Show and it captured our attention now because it's up for sale on eBay.

Dubbed the Subaru BRZ HRDPRKR and made by Proper Garage, the one-off tuning project was customized from top to bottom as well as inside and out.

The extensive list of mods includes a heavily tuned boxer engine fitted with a Vortech supercharger and other goods that results in an output of 265 rear-wheel horsepower and 206 lb-ft of torque, a full aero kit, 19-inch wheels and, just in case you were wondering/worrying about the front lip spoiler clearance, an air bag suspension.

The show car has just 4,100 miles (about 6,600 km) on the odometer and according to the seller: “[The] Vehicle is in mint/show car condition. Never driven in rain, always garaged, one owner, one driver, never raced, never abused, the definition of a trailer queen. Vehicle has been pampered since purchased, even all custom work done by only high end respectable shops.”

Last we checked, the highest bid on eBay was $26,100, but the reserve had not been met.

By John Halas

List of Mods:
Engine/Performance:

265whp/206tq.
Vortech Supercharger “Tuner Kit”
Vortech SC 9lb. pulley
AWD Tuning custom tune w/ ECUtek
Nameless v.6 medium tube header
Non Stop Tuning lightweight pulleys
Perrin Over Pipe & Front Pipe
Perrin cat back exhaust (stealth black)
Perrin Oil Cooler
Crawford Air Oil Seperator
APR radiator shroud
Perrin tranny mount support brace
Kartboy Short throw shifter & shifter bushing
Braille 9lb. Lithium ION battery w/ custom mount
NRG fender washers

Exterior:

APR carbon fiber BRZ Aero package (front lip, side skirts & rear bumper skirts)
APR Performance carbon fiber rear diffuser
Perrin shorty antenna
Version Select rear deck spoiler (TRD Style)
Lightwerks custom painted headlight housings (black)
Lightwerks STiR lense swap
T1R blue wide mirrors
Smoked tail lights, corner lights & daytime running lights
JDM Clear sidemarkers

Interior:

Bride Stradia II Reims seats (black w/ blue accents) & seat rails
CROW harnesses (blue)
JP Coachworks alcantara upholstery (w/ blue stitching): steering wheel,
shifter boot, e-brake boot & handle, center armrest, speaker pods, knee pads, dash panel,
gauge hood, lower door armrest, upper door panel, rear seats, rear seat armrest.
ARC titanium shift ****
Agency Power harness bar (painted WR Blue)
ProSport 60mm Premium EVO boost gauge
ATI 60mm vPod gauge mount
Sylvania ZEVO LED kit

Wheels:

SSR SP1 in matte black w/ black anodized lip – 19x9 +37 NR (f) / 19x10 +37 SL (r)
H&R spacers w/ extended studs
Hankook EVO Ventus 225/35/19 (rear), 215/35/19 (front)
Gorilla lug nuts (black)

Suspension:

Air Lift Performance air bag suspension
ACCU Air management w/ i-Level
Custom dual 5 lb VIAIR tanks w/ hardlines
Hotchkis strut bar (painted WR Blue)
Perrin 22mm front sway bar
Perrin 16mm rear sway bar
Perrin rear endlinks
Perrin rear urethane bushings
Perrin front control arm brace
Perrin PSRS zero offset
SPL Parts rear adjustable camber arms
SPL Parts rear adjustable toe arms

Brakes:

Futura Design 356mm 2-piece rotors w/ blue top hat (front)
Futura Design 6 Piston calipers in blue w/ black logo (front)
Futura Design 330mm 2-piece rotors w/ blue top hat (rear)
Futura Design 4 Piston calipers in blue w/ black logo (rear)
Futura Design steel braided brake lines
Perrin Master Cylinder Support brace

Stereo:

Audison Bit 10 digital sound processor
Sony components (front)
Sony coaxials (rear)
Sony subwoofer
Sony amplifiers
Custom trunk enclosure
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/boo...sema-show.html
Old 05-12-14, 06:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!