Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 11:28 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The third and final part of our series detailing the Scion TRD FR-S project car takes us to Irwindale Speedway, where Scion Racing driver Ken Gushi had the chance to be the first person to drive the car on the track. In the process, we also unveiled the car it inspired for the first time - the Scion FR-S Release Series 1.0.
Old 08-20-14, 10:37 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Prepared at the TRD® factory, the Scion FR-S Release Series features a unique Yuzu-colored exterior and HID Headlamps with LED Daytime Running Lights. Inside you’ll find Dual-zone Automatic Climate Control, a Smart Key with Push Button Start and TRD Shifter-plate with sequentially-numbered TRD badge. Only 1,500 will be available, so claim yours as soon as you can.
Old 08-20-14, 01:02 PM
LexFather

Love that color....

Old 08-20-14, 01:19 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no increased power, just more fluff! :/
Old 08-25-14, 09:00 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Things made by committee can feel less than the sum of their parts. With this grand tourer, however, Toyota and Subaru proved that one plus one could be more than two.
Old 08-26-14, 11:45 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

I didn't get to drive a Fr-s but rented a Brz for the weekend for my birthday.
I definitely loved the handling. It would stay planted to the ground and effortlessly zoom through twist and turns as I took it through the mountain side and roads in Sonoma. While the power is not there, it is adequate enough for daily driving. The more I look at it in my driveway the more I wanted the car.
The interior was nice and the a/c control switches were definitely a level above the Fr-s's. Way nicer than the turn dials. I didn't care much about the back seats as I rarely drive more than one person at a time.

While I did plan on buying it the last few months ( I thought a rental and a few days with it would completely convince me to buy one). The seats a was a deal breaker for me, at least for the Brz.
I'm a pretty small guy 5'5 120lbs but I after a few minutes I was uncomfortable in it. Not entirely uncomfortable but somewhat uncomfortable. It's something I could bear but in the long run. Same with my gf. I'm more comfortable in my corolla or a 350z than the Brz. If I could somehow get my hands on the recaros from the Rx8 R3, those were the best seats I've sat in to date. Loved those seats.
Old 08-28-14, 10:29 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Drew tells the story of how two car companies can come together and make vehicles that don't suck. His automotive companions for the day? The Toyota GT 86 and the Subaru BRZ.
Old 08-29-14, 06:18 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Targa Newfoundland Scion FR-S Gets Upgraded Suspension & Brakes

The Targa Newfoundland Scion Racing FR-S, being prepared and piloted by AutoGuide hot-shoe Dave Pratte and his Speed Academy partner Peter Tarach, continues its evolution from hand-me-down Scion Tuner Challenge car to Targa-ready race car.

As you’ll see in Episode 3 of their YouTube series documenting the pre-Targa preparations, Dave and Peter have moved on to two of the most critical performance upgrades any race car can receive: brakes and suspension. They also continue their ongoing wrenching competitions, this time to see who can remove the factory front shock and spring assembly the quickest.

Slowing down may not be as sexy as going fast, but powerful and fade-free brakes are absolutely critical to driver-confidence and safety. To address this, an Essex Competition Sprint brake kit was installed on the front of their FR-S, which uses AP Racing forged calipers and two-piece rotors. The amazing thing about this kit is that it not only significantly increases stopping power and fade-resistance, it’s also 20-lbs lighter than the standard front brakes. Win-win!

The factory shocks and springs have also been replaced by KW Clubsport coilovers, which not only feature higher spring rates and adjustable shock dampening, they’re also extremely durable thanks to the stainless steel shock bodies. The front top mounts are also camber adjustable, which will let Dave and Peter setup the FR-S for maximum grip.

We’ll have another update for you next week, when the factory wheels and tires are ditched in favor of some lighter and stronger wheels and some much stickier rubber, along with some subtle aerodynamic upgrades and even a bit of bling.
Old 08-29-14, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That bright yellow and anodized purple really pop
Old 09-08-14, 10:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

With just 2 months to go until the 2014 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, our three Scion Tuner Challenge competitors are likely spending many sleepless nights as they work tirelessly to bring their ultimate tuner Scion FR-S Release Series 1.0 concepts to a reality. Thankfully, we managed to get Taro Koki of GT Channel, Sam Du of Super Street and Keith Charvonia of Speedhunters to take a break from the build to give us some insight into what they have planned.
Old 09-08-14, 11:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota believed to launch turbocharged GT86 with all-wheel drive and 300 bhp

Engine built by Subaru

Japanese magazine Best Car has obtained some juicy details about a range-topping Toyota GT86 version.

We know for a fact Toyota is planning some changes to spice up the GT86 as prototypes have been spotted 'Ring testing a couple of times. A recent report indicates there are some big upgrades planned as the model will allegedly be getting a hotter version replacing the rear-wheel drive setup with an AWD arrangement.

In addition, the GT86 is expected to get a four-cylinder 2.5-liter turbocharged gasoline engine built by Subaru so it's likely the same unit installed in the 2015 WRX STI where it churns 305 bhp (227 kW) and 290 lb-ft (393 Nm) of torque. In the uprated GT86, the engine will develop up to 300 bhp (224 kW) sent to both axles through an eight-speed automatic gearbox.

Judging by the spy photos we posted several months ago, Toyota is also planning some lightweight body parts made from carbon fiber along with a sizeable fixed rear wing. It should be mentioned the car's chief engineer Tetsuya Tada already announced the updated GT86 will have new intake and exhaust systems developed in collaboration with Gazoo Racing.

The facelifted GT86 will go on sale in 2015 but Toyota could decide to show it before the end of this year.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11409088...with-all-wheel
Old 09-08-14, 12:25 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wasn't AWD already deemed impossible for the FRS/BRZ due to the frame of the car?
Old 09-08-14, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Toyota has to do something considering the MX-5 is well amazeballs
Old 09-08-14, 08:49 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Subaru FA20DIT is making ~300hp ~300lb/tq in Japan while getting 30mpg. I really would like the engine in refreshed GT86/BRZ.
Old 09-09-14, 05:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lol the initials FRS was for Front Rearpowered Sport. I doubt the AWD rumor will be true

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!