Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 11:26 AM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
I like what I have seen and read so far regarding this car. The only thing is Scion Brand. At work in our mech eng group, 3 out of 6 engineers around 30 yrs old like it. We are very much interested to get one if it is toyota. But none of us is interested in buying scion instead we may be looking for BRZ instead. I would rather drive Subaru or Toyota not Scion.
So you want a car to be seen in, rather than drive. Got it.

It is the exact same car, except one costs less than the other. If brand perception is so important swap the badges and save a few thousand.
Old 12-19-11, 11:43 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The TRD 86 looks incredible. A car I want, but don't need right now in my life.
Old 12-19-11, 03:57 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
The TRD 86 looks incredible. A car I want, but don't need right now in my life.
I'm in a similar situation, I would like to get rid of my M45, but it wouldn't make sense to replace it with this. Then I'd have two coupes.
Old 12-19-11, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm in a similar situation, I would like to get rid of my M45, but it wouldn't make sense to replace it with this. Then I'd have two coupes.
Sexy>Sense

Old 12-19-11, 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
Ok let me clarify, the MRS (ZZW30) felt a slight bit sluggish after some mileage, possibly due to the cable operated remote linkage.
The AE86's T50 is direct but sloppy by today's standards, even after rebuilds, and throw is rather long, coming from an older E70/E40 Corollas.
Tacoma SR5 transmission feels durable but not too sporty at the lever or ratios obviously... Supra A80's Getrag feels very German and different than a Toyota..throw was a bit heavy and clunky but very direct and never skipped a beat.
IS/Altezza feels similar I suppose, but it always felt a but clumsy going into 3rd when warm, but overall it was great.
This FRS unit feels quicker to shift, throw is very short and positive, and just feels like it wants to run through each gear on a raceway... (I haven't done that yet, but I will let you know if I ever get a chance. So far everyone who DID drive says its glass smooth and precise, easy to operate.)

Perhaps what I wanted to say is it feels like the best attributes for all Toyota RWD transmissions converged to make this one feel better than ever. LOL!
they certainly improved in since MRS and Celica... in Corolla/Yaris, new 6 speed is also quite smooth goer, no notchines of old, so it something they have definetly worked on when they introduced new transmissions 2-3 years ago... in Celica GTS (or my Corolla TS), it was easy to mishift 3rd to 2nd (and not 4th), as you probably know :-).

edit: i had heavy chrome **** on my ZZW30, it helped guide it through the gears smoother.
Old 12-19-11, 05:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how is the manual compared to a S2000s transmission? That is the one to beat
Old 12-19-11, 06:17 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Here's a little video of the Scion FR-S test drive in Japan from DSPORT Magazine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m574Pa6BUoY
Old 12-19-11, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if it is good, then it is good i guess.
Old 12-19-11, 07:21 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I think one of the mags compared it to the S2000s and said it wasn't as buttery smooth but still very good.
Old 12-21-11, 09:35 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

http://youtu.be/rZnvi91JhBE
Old 12-21-11, 09:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I have no doubt Aisin could build a unit that's as good as the one in the S2000. After all, the S2000 was based on their AZ6 unit that's also found in the IS200, MX-5, RX8, etc. Will it shift like an S2000? I doubt it, but it's very close and that's damn good in my book.
Old 12-21-11, 10:16 AM
LexFather

It could very well be. One reason Hondas have smooth manuals is they have low power and low torque which helps with smooth delivery. Try shifting a 600hp Dodge Viper

I agree, S2000 is a great shifter, especially with the short shift.

Old 12-21-11, 08:30 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The actual lens/lamp assembly are the same dimensions as confirmed from my source. The front bumper on the BRZ covers the headlight assembly a bit more, making the eyes look a bit shorter across, and the orange marker light inside seems to be reflected or positioned differently.  The front facing turn signals are mounted inside the BRZ headlamp assembly, while the FRS/86 has them outside in the corner of the bumper, above the fog lamps.

The front bumper area also has conservative look on the BRZ, while the FRS/86 has a bit more aggressive and aerodynamically conscious shape with pronounced vertical crease line. The grill of the Subaru is reminiscent of the Impreza with simple low count of thick horizontal bars. The Toyota FRS/86 has the all-new T-logo pattern, which is also used in the meter cluster and center console panel inside the interior.

The rear is almost identical aside from the optional deck wing on the Subaru.
Of course the dimensional difference you see in various lines are from convergence difference in the lenses used to take the two photos.

--Photos from GazooResponse website.
Also at least on released catalog specs at Tokyo show, the BRZ is 10mm taller, probably from the difference in gas charged valving/spring-rates of the suspension.

More obvious is the side garnish atop the trailing front fender, where Toyota/Scion chose to badge with "86 Boxer" emblem (optionally with other garnish choices) the, Subaru BRZ has a simple faux grill...which can be rather cool as well. (I assume these are interchangeable... fun, no?)

Also the cutoff points for the hood line and front fenders, as well as the dimensions and shape of the headlight assembly shell are identical, so that the two cars can share a single aftermarket bumper or even swap between Subaru/Scion/Toyota according to preference. (more fun facts!)
Old 12-28-11, 02:39 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/brz...uto-salon.html
Subaru Bringing Two BRZ Concepts to 2012 Tokyo Auto Salon
Just the Facts:
-Two concept versions of the 2013 Subaru BRZ sport coupe, one from STI and one from the tuner Prova, will be displayed at the upcoming Tokyo Auto Salon.

-The Subaru BRZ STI Concept is similar to the BRZ Concept STI that was unveiled in November at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show.

-For the Tokyo salon, the BRZ STI Concept will sport many of the same pieces, including Bilstein shocks, Brembo brakes, 18-inch STI wheels, a sport muffler, lowering springs, deck spoiler, chin spoiler and carbon-fiber hood and roof.
Old 12-29-11, 08:42 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...-s-by-hpi.aspx
SCION FR-S BY HPI
This is the FR-S radio control car that's being done as collaboration between HPI Racing and Scion, to be released in 2012.

http://dsportmag.com/browse/cover-st...pec-scion-fr-s
GREDDY-SPEC SCION FR-S
2013 SCION FR-S TUNING PREVIEW

ON November 23rd, SCION dropped off one of its two prototype FR-S vehicles to GReddy Performance Products for a tuning blitz. The goal would be to build a lightly-tuned version of the 2013 Scion FR-S for the US media unveiling taking place just a week later. With limited time, GReddy sought to address the most popular vehicle upgrades. Keeping it simple, wheels, tires, suspension, brakes and exhaust would be the goal for the less-than-a-week transformation. With no off-the-shelf parts available, the scramble was in full swing to complete the prototype development.

WHEELING AND DEALING

You would think that fitting the wheels and tires on the Scion FR-S would be among the easiest of upgrades. Unfortunately, Subaru designed the FR-S with the less popular 5x100mm bolt pattern, instead of the more popular 5x114.3mm bolt pattern. Rather than limit wheel choices to 5x100mm selections, GReddy opted to prototype a hub conversion to open the options to the more popular 5x114.3mm pattern. With this conversion in place, GReddy selected a staggered setup featuring 19x8.5-inch (+45mm) Volk Racing G12s in the front and 19x9.5-inch (+35mm) G12s in the rear. The wheels were fitted with 225/35ZR19 (front) and 245/35ZR19 (rear) Hankook Ventus V12 EVO tires.

S-DROPPED AND C-BALANCED

While the Scion FR-S already features an extremely low center-of-gravity, a properly setup coilover suspension system can drop the FR-S to levels below six-figure supercars while still providing the same ground clearance as these supercars. GReddy’s Type-S coilover system was chosen to lower the FR-S while allowing for proper corner balancing and damper tuning. Adjustable spring perches allow the four corners to be individually adjusted until the proper cross balance, F/R and L/R balances are set. In addition, the Type-S damper features 32-settings that provide balanced compression and rebound damper rates. A larger 46mm piston is centered in the monotube design. GReddy states that its Type-S coilover spring rates are optimized to provide additional travel and longer stroke for improved ride and road surface compliance.

BRAKING NEWS

While the factory FR-S brakes may be adequate for street and mild track use, a properly engineered big-brake kit offers substantially more thermal capacity. The large 330mm two-piece rotors of the GReddy brake system allow for extended periods of abuse. When asked to stop 2,900 pounds of car and driver on an FR-S application, these rotors should barely break a sweat. GReddy 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers ensure that the pads make an even contact with the rotor while providing the proper pedal effort and travel. Earl’s Teflon-lined, stainless-steel brake lines are included with the system to eliminate pedal squish.

GREDDY SPECTRUM ELITE SE

Considering that GReddy currently offers five different exhaust lineups, the first order of business was to select the proper series for a future FR-S tuner. Ultimately, GReddy chose the Spectrum Elite series based on its combination of sound, performance and looks. The Spectrum Elite series combines increased diameter tubing with free-flowing muffler(s). Sound control is below the 95dBA standard while the tips are sized to avoid unwanted attention. The system prototyped for the FR-S utilizes a single muffler with dual inlets and outlets. Piping diameter is 70mm.

THE END RESULT

Some simple touches definitely allowed this Scion FR-S to stand out from the crowd. While GReddy had just a week with the FR-S, we can only imagine what the future will bring. Air intake systems, strut tower braces and chassis reinforcements are likely to be among the first additional tuning offerings for the FR-S. Later, we expect to see the aftermarket offering off-road headers, straight pipes, camshafts and maybe even stroker kits. Will there be aftermarket turbo systems? Yes. However, they’ll have to be properly engineered to work with the high-compression engine and D-4S direct-plus-port fuel injection system. Needless to say, the FR-S is going to be a tuner choice for a number of years to come.

Last edited by Motor; 12-29-11 at 12:01 PM. Reason: +1

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!