Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Formula D JZX100 Mark II Build

Old 09-21-07, 10:21 PM
DSPro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Formula D JZX100 Mark II Build

This is my first official post here and I figured I would get right to it. I'm not sure if there is a better place for this thread so the mods can feel free to move it to where they deem appropriate.

We're (Driving Sports) currently in the process of building two cars for entry into Formula D next season. The first is Kawabata's (shop owner) S15 Silvia which will be the focus of most of our effort (and budget) which we will be debuting at Long Beach next year. The second is a JZX100 Mark II that I recently had come into stock (I export drift-spec cars to Europe) that I fell in love with.

We were nearly finished with a 4 door R32 GTS-T but I've always had a thing for JZX100s and after taking it for a spin I couldn't resist so I sold the R32 to one of my dealers in Europe and the ''hayaku hyaku'' project has begun.

The base car is a great condition 1997 Tourer V factory 5 speed with 90,000KM on the clock. It came with a few nice additions that will stay like an HKS Front Mount Intercooler, A'PEXi N1 Exhaust, Cusco 2 Way, and full BN Sports aero. It also came with Tein Flex Coilovers (junk) and Work Emotion CR Kai's both of which are now in an ever-growing pile of parts in the corner of the shop.

The first big purchases were a set of Zeal Function coilovers with 16k/10k Swift Springs, HKS GT2835 Pro Kit, Tomei SS Manifold, and an ORC Twin Plate Clutch.

The motor/mission will be coming out so the entire car can be re-sprayed DS red but I went ahead and threw the coilovers on along with a set of TRD sway bars and took it up to Bihoku Highlands for some test runs. It handled far better than I expected. The coilovers are amazing and the rates feel perfect. I was running my usual Neova AD07 (f) and Direzza DZ101 (r) setup and although it was a bit tough to keep the rear in check after a good few laps I got used to the size of the car. Stock steering angle was lacking though so crazy first corner entires were out of the question.

I'm in love with the 1JZ at this point. Despite nearly stock power levels it had plenty of kick to keep the rears smoking. I really lov the gearing as well. There are a few turns at Bihoku where I have to shift up into 3rd in an R32/S13 so I don't overly-abuse the engine/mission when I clutch kick and then shift back down into 2nd. In the Mark II it feels like 2nd gear goes on forever so the only time I had to even use 3rd gear was coming into the main straight.

While the motor and transmission are out we'll be doing all the motor work. The motor is going to remain mostly stock internally but we'll be throwing in a Tomei head gakset and HKS cams. We can't get anymore than 420HP out of the GT2835 which the stock bottom end should be able to handle easily.

The fuel system will include a SARD pump, regulator, injectors, and Kinokuni lines/fittings. The factory radiator will be tossed in favor of a Tabata unit and we'll be throwing a Trust oil cooler into the mix as well. Originally I wanted to control the setup with V Pro but we won't be able to tune it in the US so we decided to just run a Power FC with Datalogit.

After spending a great deal of time going through Formula D's cage regulations we decided to have Okuyama build as a passable bolt in cage with some chassis stiffening features.

Obviously the suspension and brakes will get plenty of attention as well with pieces from TRD, D-Max, JIC Magic, and Okuyama.

I know there are some Lexus drifters on the forum so any advice would be appreciated. This is definitely the biggest car I've drifted and the first Toyota I've owned/drifted since the JZX81 I had a good 15 years ago.
Old 09-21-07, 10:32 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus

What an extensive list of mods, you've definitely invested quite a bit into your car. With a mod list like that, it must be one awesome ride

You're definitely a car-nut like most of us here

Glad you could join us!
Old 09-21-07, 10:52 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Your in the right place! Nice project you got goin keep us up to date.
Old 09-21-07, 10:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

omg I LOVE X-Chassis CARS!!

Old 09-22-07, 06:24 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great first post, car looks amazing, cant wait to see the progression
Old 09-22-07, 07:46 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

thats a sick looking car you have there.
Old 09-22-07, 11:22 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why did I move to the States...
おきゃーま!all i remember about that state is going to kurashiki and eating きびだんご(w
Old 09-22-07, 12:11 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Very nice ride. Good luck and welcome.
Old 09-22-07, 12:21 PM
blacksc400