Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WHO in ClubLexus prefer something other than a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-07, 03:08 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer my 335i over our 2IS. Both are great cars but they are totally for different type of drivers IMO.
Old 09-09-07, 03:26 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

i wouldn't mind a bmw e60 m5 as my dd. i would probably need a toyota supra and a porsche gt2 as well.
Old 09-09-07, 04:35 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
I prefer my 335i over our 2IS. Both are great cars but they are totally for different type of drivers IMO.
Because your 2IS is IS250.

I wonder what you would prefer if that was the other way around, Is350 and 325/8i.
Old 09-09-07, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Yeah, my LS430 is getting some work done and I'm driving the wife's 911 around all weekend. I can get used to this, although I have to drive with shoes off... pedals are too close together for me and I keep fat footing them which is exciting at times but a little to dangerous for my taste as I hurtle into cars stopped at a light in front of me.
You must have big feet like mine. I know what you are going through. That is a problem with a number of vehicles that I review....big shoes catching on the underside of the brake pedal or hitting two pedals at once. I have to be really careful with some cars. The Lotus Elise, not surprisingly, was the absolute worst.
Old 09-09-07, 05:47 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I want more of a driving experience from my vehicles at present. The current lineup of Lexus vehicles do not offer such unfortunately. So, I can see myself stepping outside of the Lexus box to obtain vehicles that fit the bill. Heck I already did lol I would like a Vette in my lifetime though
Old 09-10-07, 12:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
i also owned two legend, 2door and sedan. before. comparing that with a older ES i used to own is just totally different. the pick up, the straight you feel from the engine is much stronger than the ES. The things i don't like about the Legend was that it wasn't as sexy nor does the interior of the ES.
Just curious which year ES do you have? I too am one of those multiple Legend owners. 3 Legend Coupes total. 91L, 93 LS 6-Speed, and 95 LS automatic. I also owned a 94 ES300 and it fell short in every aspect to the Legend IMHO. The 94 ES300 I had did absolutely nothing for me compared to the Legends except get me to and from work. Everyone has their own opinion and expectations on cars though and this is just my personal experience.
Old 09-10-07, 12:50 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it depends on each Lexus classed vehicle. For the class the LS is in, I'd take the Lexus LS over pretty much anything in its class.

For the Class the GS is in, it is a toss up between the Infiniti M35/45, and the GS350.

For the ES Class, there are just too many other cars I'd choose over an ES that it is not worth mentioning.

For the IS class, I'd choose the BMW 3 series and even the new Audi A5 series if I wanted the coupe.

Obviously if money were no object my daily driver would be a Ferrari F430.
Old 09-10-07, 01:30 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

I can go 1 of 3 different ways:

1. Buy another IS300 5mt (for very cheap) that I can beat around and find my and its limits and do mods to it. I'd like to keep my current one clean and unmolested.

2. Current plan: Get a rebuilt KA24E or NA SR20DE motorset (for smog purposes) for my s13 hatch -- so i can keep the miles low on my IS300 -- not to mention cheaper gas and better gas mileage. I just need something to put 20k miles a year on.

3. Get another 3rd Gen (1989-1994) Nissan Maxima SE 5MT. Awesome handling car, good power, felt faster than it was, I knew its limits (and mine), communicates to driver well. Put I/E, springs and shocks, fstb, front and rear sways, and some 16s (or maybe 17s) and go road racing. After I rolled my first one canyon carving, I bought another one to beat around. I can also get 30 mpg. The *new* Maximas may have more horsepower, but like what some GS owners say, they're boats compared to the 3rd gen Maximas.

Newer, faster and bigger (heavier) doesn't always mean better.

Last edited by dsp979; 09-10-07 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-10-07, 05:53 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Just curious which year ES do you have? I too am one of those multiple Legend owners. 3 Legend Coupes total. 91L, 93 LS 6-Speed, and 95 LS automatic. I also owned a 94 ES300 and it fell short in every aspect to the Legend IMHO. The 94 ES300 I had did absolutely nothing for me compared to the Legends except get me to and from work. Everyone has their own opinion and expectations on cars though and this is just my personal experience.
same here.. 93 ES300 , Legend 91L and 91LS.

for me the feeling of these two cars are very different. for example:

1.stoping at a red light and some punk kid pumping the gas. You say to yourself:

ES300: I just wax my car. kids gonna be kids.

Legend: This little chump want some of this?, let's ROCK!!!

2. After turning a corner to an empty street:

ES300: boy, this car is so smooth. it's like gliding on air.

Legend: Floor this thing and hear the tires whip..

All i'm saying is i just got out of college and been working about a year. i want something fun to drive and not something to pass down to the kids. A few months ago i drove a Jeep Wrangler. I almost broke my back cuz the seats are the worst things in the world. The gas was like water to the car. the Handle was the worst thing i ever put my hands on. When cornering in the rain you'll have to pray for your life. But for some odd reason it gave me that feeling i'm driving a CAR... what i'm saying is. you dont' wear a pair of basketball sneakers for walking, it's for the ball court. i guess i'm just young and stupid. haha
Old 09-10-07, 09:23 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
Because your 2IS is IS250.

I wonder what you would prefer if that was the other way around, Is350 and 325/8i.
The lack of steering feedback from either model for me is what ultimately does the ISx50 in. I've driven an IS350 quite a bit and still prefer my car. It's a nice car, just drives totally different. It just doesn't "feel" sporty enough for me.
Old 09-10-07, 09:27 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a GS400 and the only cars I can think of that I realistically want to get besides it is a B5 S4. I looked at those before buying a GS400 but the reliability scared me off...the last thing I need is missing a graduate level class because my car broke down.
Old 09-11-07, 06:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm more of a mazda guy, myself...I feel they take more risk, and still uphold a drivers spirit with their vehicles. Sadly, Mazda hasn't answered my automotive prayers with a fourth gen. RX-7, yet... When it comes to feel, performance, and most of all, fun, that's where my preference is.

There are host of other vehicles that I appreiciate equally in comparison to those offered by Lexus (many from Mercedes), but practicality is something I feel few match, in tandem with a host of other qualities involving the brand (all of the obvious highlights, including reliability, quality, ergonomics, etc.). Before the newer L-finesse design direction, I would have most definitely given the nod to other brands, though. I honestly have no serious bias towards Lexus, but I feel their direction for the time being, is oriented properly, and I like what they are doing.
Old 09-11-07, 09:30 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends in what aspect that you're speaking of, whether it is style, reliability, power, etc. At this point in life, I can only go for something that is reliable, and therefore I'll be sticking with Lexus for quite a while.
Old 09-11-07, 10:42 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I'm more of a mazda guy, myself...I feel they take more risk, and still uphold a drivers spirit with their vehicles. Sadly, Mazda hasn't answered my automotive prayers with a fourth gen. RX-7, yet... When it comes to feel, performance, and most of all, fun, that's where my preference is.
Mazda does make a few good cars, but their relations with Ford kinda muddy the waters. The mx-5 is still a great roadster. The rx-8 is a great driver's car (better than the Nissan Z IMO). However, I'm not sold on their cheap interiors. The Mazda6 comes to mind. I also had a good Mazda3 2.3i for a week and was able to directly compare it with my mom's Civic. The conclusion I had was basically I'm too old for the Mazda3 for all its silly things (far too easy to snap into oversteer, illegible gauges), but it isn't a bad car. However if I wanted a fun car, I'd pick the Mini.
Old 09-11-07, 10:45 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i would love to have a 335i convertible.

Quick Reply: WHO in ClubLexus prefer something other than a Lexus?