Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus’ Future: Small SUV, IS coupe and convertible, 7-Seater crossover

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 08:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Lexus’ Future: Small SUV, IS coupe and convertible, 7-Seater crossover

Lexus’ Future: Small SUV, IS coupe and convertible, 7-Seater crossover

August 20th, 2007

While Lexus executives fear that the expanding lineup at Lexus may harm its luxury status, Lexus will continue to pump out more models. Most executives feel that if Lexus keeps its price tag above $30,000, its cars will be seen as competitors in the luxury segment no matter what the volume is.

So what’s in the works for Lexus in the next couple of years? Well you already know about the Lexus IS Coupe and Convertible coming by 2009, but Lexus is hard at work developing a small SUV based on the RAV4 to compete with the BMW X3 and the upcoming Mercedes GLK. The long awaited seven-seater crossover is also expected in 2009.

The entire list of Lexus’ future lineup :

Lexus IS: The 2008 IS-F sedan, with 5.0 liter V8 that produces 425hp, arrives late this year. A coupe will be added in mid-2008 as a 2009 model. But the convertible has been pushed back to the summer of 2009 due to plans to engineer a hardtop convertible instead of a softtop.

Lexus ES: A Lexus ES hybrid will be added for the 2009 model year. A model freshening is planned for the 2010 with a total redesign for the 2012 model year.

Lexus GS: No major changes.

Lexus LS 460: The popular hybrid model arrives in dealerships at the end of August or in early September.

Lexus SC 430: A redesign is planned for the 2009 model year. Expect a lighter SC with a 4.6 liter engine.

Lexus LF-1: A production version of the LF-A concept will arrive next spring. It is meant to celebrate Toyota’s 70th anniversary as well as its Formula 1 presence, hence the “F-1″ part of the name. The Lexus LF-1 will have a V10 engine that produces 500 horsepower and will deliver power to an all-wheel-drive system. Expect an unveiling at the Tokyo motor show in October, if not at the Japan Formula 1 race in September.

Lexus Hybrid: Lexus will get its own dedicated hybrid model in a configuration and design different from the Toyota Prius. The Lexus Hybrid is expected to arrive as a 2012 model.

Lexus RAV4: A Lexus version of the RAV4 is planned for Japan, Europe and the U.S. markets. Priced under $30,000, the small SUV will compete with the BMW X3 and the Mercedes GLK.

Lexus RX 350: A redesign for the SUV comes in early 2009 as a 2010 model. Expect a slight increase in size, maybe even a third row.

Lexus GX 470: The Toyota 4Runner twin gets a redesign in the fall of 2009. A six-speed automatic transmission may be added.

Lexus JX470: The anticipated seven-seat crossover arrives as a 2009 model. Internally known as the VX, the large SUV will be built on the GS sedan platform. Design wise the Lexus JX470 will look like the Lexus LF-X (formerly HPX) concept car. Power is expected to come from a 4.7 liter V-8, although a 3.5-liter V6 also might be offered. The vehicle would line up against the Infiniti FX.

Lexus LX 470: The redesigned version is due next spring.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
via egmcartech

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-20-07 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-20-07, 08:49 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ooh ES hybrid?!?!
Old 08-20-07, 08:52 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds good, at least the timetable in this source is earlier than others...IS coupe next year, SC coupe in 1-2 years. ES hybrid sounds pretty good.

However not mentioning the GS 460 and expected mid-cycle refresh is surprising. Also changing from LF-A to LF-1, hmm somehow GT 450 sounded cooler.
Old 08-20-07, 09:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder where Auto News got it's info for the future products? Certain things they mention make sense, but a lot things don't make sense.

Since when will there be an ES hybrid? I thought I heard somewhere Lexus wouldn't be doing an ES hybrid for this generation?

And as for the GS, they failed to mention the 2008 refresh that all GS models get, as well as the coming of the GS460. The GS should also be getting a complete redesign by 2010-2011 timeframe.

And as for the LF-A, since when will it have an AWD system? This makes absolutely no sense as Lexus was supposed to be going for low weight and high performance. AWD makes no sense in the context of Toyota celebrating it's F1 presence. I frankly don't believe this rumour and I think the LF-A should, and will be RWD.

The article mentions that Lexus execs fear a vehicle under $30,000 may harm the brand's luxury status, and then the article states Lexus will have a Rav-4 based vehicle priced under $30K ? It does not make sense at all. Lexus USA has also publicly mentioned such a small crossover would not work well for the US market. The Rav-4 is based on a variation of the Corolla platform, and I REALLY hope that Lexus never makes a vehicle based on a Corolla platform.

As for the JX470, I still question whether this model is even coming or if there is a need for it in the Lexus lineup. I think it would have to be much sportier than an RX or an LX for it's existence to be justified. Also, a 4.7L V8 being offered just doesn't make sense, as Toyota is phasing out the 2UZ 4.7L from production. Does anyone "in the know" have confirmation the JX is coming?
Old 08-20-07, 09:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I wonder where Auto News got it's info for the future products? Certain things they mention make sense, but a lot things don't make sense.
In addition to what was mentioned, have they even checked the lexus.com site?

The gx is hardly a redesign
Old 08-20-07, 02:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of this is right and some of it is not.

IS Coupe and convertible is correct, though there are no plans for an SUV below the RX. Also, nothing concrete about a 7 seat crossover but there has been talk of it obviously, and the LF-X was an exercise with the concept.

SC will not be updated until much later...2011 or 2012. It's on a 10 year model cycle much like the old car. No current plans for a dedicated hybrid model and I haven't heard of an ES hybrid but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 08-20-07, 03:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

no RAV4 wann be lexus SUV crap please!
Old 08-20-07, 03:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The ES hybrid seems like a no-brainer to me. Camry Hybrid already selling well, gets great fuel economy. Plus they said they want every model in their range to be a hybrid, although that may be an exaggeration. But next to RX, ES is the second best selling Lexus. The RX 400h is doing pretty good, why not the ES 400h.
Old 08-20-07, 03:33 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs down Not reliable on everything it says!

On that same page they also have future vehicles listed and under Toyota they have a new Supra comming to us in 2010..........

Autonews once said (posted by me) the same thing back in 2006 about a Supra for 2008.........now it is 2010, next 2020 !!! Whatever.......we'll see....
Old 08-20-07, 04:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Too many things that don't make sense in this report. I'll wait for official announcements from Lexus or more reliable insider news.
Old 08-20-07, 05:45 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, the "JX" has been nothing but speculation for years now... so I'm not gonna gold my breath.

It wouldn't be a far stretch to see that they name the sports car the LF-1. As you all know, "F1" has a very special meaning inside Toyota (codename for Flagship 1, the original LS400 prototype). This new model would be worth of of carrying on that brand as it signifies Toyota once again entering a market that people would have never dreamed of them entering before, and it also becoming the new Lexus flagship (at least price wise).

Anyone know the exact date of Tokyo show?
Old 08-20-07, 05:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Anyone know the exact date of Tokyo show?
October 26th (Friday) through November 11th (Sunday) this year. The show will be opened to the public from October 27th (Saturday).

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/eng/
Old 08-20-07, 06:04 PM
JessePS

time will only tell.

some stuff (i.e timeline) does make sense too me.

A Lexus version of the Rav4, what is the use seeing it almost be the size of the RX or the new crossover they are suppose to come out with.

I just can not wait to see most of the models with hybrid engines. Especially the LX and GX.

The IS Coupe-convertible would be nice, would kill two birds with one stone, hopefully have a hybrid version in like 2012, if Toyota does get smaller batteries.

The LF-A, only way it is getting a AWD system is on the hybrid version that was rumoured a while back.
Old 08-20-07, 06:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The 'JX' small crossover will be for Europe only, according to some rumors. Makes more sense there. Bob Carter seemed to indicate that there is no plan to have an X3/RDX competitor in the US.

The IS coupe, rumors have stated that the softtop convertible was cancelled, changed to hardtop--hence the delay. If Autonews is right, and they bring out the coupe first, then the convertible, sounds good to me.

Still looking at 'GT-F' for the Lexus supercar.
Old 08-20-07, 06:43 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus needs a 3-series coupe comptetitor...especially in IS-F form. if they IS-F four door is all its hyped to be and surpasses the new m3 in tests. they can take my deposit now for the coupe version!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus’ Future: Small SUV, IS coupe and convertible, 7-Seater crossover