Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Dodge Caravan / Chrysler Town & Country

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 05:58 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
BTW, the new lifetime powertrain warrenty will certainly help boost sales even more for the new 2008's. It's going to be cool getting repairs covered by warrenty when your Chrysler vehicle has like 250,000 miles on it.
That would be good, seeing as my 94 Dodge Caravan died while I was driving on the Interstate 2 years ago
Old 08-14-07, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
That would be good, seeing as my 94 Dodge Caravan died while I was driving on the Interstate 2 years ago
Transmission? The '90-'95 models with the 4-speed Ultradrive transmission were notorious for crapping out.....newer models somewhat less so, but still worse-than-average.
Old 08-14-07, 07:00 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

BTW, the new lifetime powertrain warrenty will certainly help boost sales even more for the new 2008's. It's going to be cool getting repairs covered by warrenty when your Chrysler vehicle has like 250,000 miles on it.
I agree with you on the first half. The lifetime powertrain warranty will lure more buyers. But VERY few people will be getting their trannies replaced at 250k miles, for two reasons:

1) People don't generally keep their cars that long, and the lifetime warranty only applies to the original buyer.
2) People don't remember to send in rebates on something they bought last week. You think they're going to remember to take their car to the dealer within a month of it's fifth (and tenth, and fifteenth) birthday? Because if they don't, the warranty is null and void.

Chrysler worded their warranty statement carefully enough to eliminate more than 95% of all possible claims. They're not THAT stupid....
Old 08-14-07, 07:59 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the late 90s the Dodge Caravan sold 300K units by itself. Chrysler owned around 500-600K minivans each year. Sales have plummeted.

This iteration of the van looks worse to me than the previous. The seating is somewhat gimmicky so I'm glad to see it is optional. The materials look really cheap (cheaper than previous gen) and the subjective styling meter falls with this gen for me as well.

IMO.. Not Good. Look for continued falling sales for Chrysler.
Old 08-14-07, 08:01 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Transmission? The '90-'95 models with the 4-speed Ultradrive transmission were notorious for crapping out.....newer models somewhat less so, but still worse-than-average.
Yep, I had one of them crash and burn on me. I always love driving with the windows open and hearing that "grunking" sound as an Ultradrive transmission car stops next to me. Anyone with a Chrysler trans should know what I'm talking about. That sound never inspired confidence and it amazes me that I heard it on the 2007 Pacifica (6 spd Auto) that turned out to have a variant ("upgraded") of the old Ultradrive.
Old 08-14-07, 08:24 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Still clunky/plastic looking American cars anymore. Even Cadillac has the same style interior.
Old 08-14-07, 08:37 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

The interior looks cheap.Too Boxy
Old 08-15-07, 01:25 AM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow. this thing makes a corolla look overstyled

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

The Odyssey, while "old," still trumps this mess from Chrysler.
Honda should have brought over this Odyssey
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Dodge Caravan / Chrysler Town & Country-rb-odyssey-img8.jpg  
Old 08-15-07, 08:48 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a sales comparison of the top players year to date though July 2007.

Dodge Caravan: 110,507

Chrysler Town & Country: 81,615

Total Dodge/Chrysler sales: 192,122 (pretty much same vehicle)

Honda Odyssey: 94,479

Toyota Sienna: 84,948

So Chrysler some how still manages to sell more of their OLD minivans than Toyota and Honda COMBINED.

BTW, these Chrysler minivan sales reflect a decline of about 20% for 2007 from 2006 in anticipation for 2008 models.
Remember unlike Honda and Toyota they have huge discounts on top of that they do have a lower starting price for others that may find the Sienna or Odyssey to exceed their budget. Anyway I find the interior of this new generation to be innovative however I think the current interior looks of better quality.
Old 08-15-07, 05:52 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
Still clunky/plastic looking American cars anymore. Even Cadillac has the same style interior.

funny u would say that, i have always liked the looks of some american cars such as caddilacs, lincolns, fords, and gmc's but the interior always turned me away. the eldorado was a great looking car, all through its life span, BUT the only reason i did not like any of them over a mb, bmw, or lexus is because of their interior.
Old 08-15-07, 08:39 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, we bought it brand new so those stories weren't out at the time. That and the fact that we were a little poorer than today. I believe that we spent enough money on repairs to buy a fully loaded Camry

Stupid sentimental value
Old 08-18-07, 11:55 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an '03 Grand Caravan. While the interior quality of the materials leaves much to be desired compared to the Odyssey and Sienna, the reliability has been amazing. Never been to the dealer for any repairs or anything, except for one time shortly after we bought it when one of the mechanisms in the third row seat broke. I'm glad to have one of the good ones.

I was thinking about getting the Honda or Toyota when it comes time to replace the Dodge, but this looks very interesting. Whether or not the quality of the materials is any better than the rivals, the "innovations" look very tempting for me. Especially since I travel a lot (vacation) the swiveling seats and the table would be VERY, VERY useful for me (kids, and other passengers).

I do hope they get rid of the 3.3 and 3.8 engines soon and replace it with something else for the base engines. They're amazingly weak, although I hope pairing the 3.8 with the 6-speed helps. Too bad the 3.3/tranny remain almost unchanged. Glad to hear they added the 4.0 to the lineup though. Is this the same one in the Pacifica?