Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Dealer Wont Give Me a Loaner!!! DECLINED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 05:04 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Lexus Dealer Wont Give Me a Loaner!!! DECLINED!!!

I brought in my 98 ES300 into my Lexus dealer because it had a check engine light on. My Service Advisor declined me a loaner saying that they only give it to people who are 23 years old and older and 21 for enterprise. I just turned 18 and the car is under my name. Ironically when I brought my mom's Mercedes E350 to service at the dealer they issued me a loaner with no issues all they wanted was a credit card and driver license they did not even make me buy insurance. That dealer uses Enterprise also and I was given a C240. No questions asked and that e350 is not even in my name. Another Mercedes dealer also gave me a loaner when I was still 17.5 for my dads 2003 ML500. Again no questions asked, but because of my age they said that I had to purchase total vehicle insurance which was $40 a day and they called my dad at work before handing me over the keys to late model ML new design. These where two separate dealers, but owned by a larger regional dealer brand. FYI we go to separate benz dealers because the Ml dealer didn't not have the E350 we wanted in stock i guess there is high demand for that model sold at full price compared with the ml which my dad got some off saving us $$$.

Ironically, Lexus dealers have treated us exceptionally well even though my model is older and we were very happy with there service. They even call us to make sure were happy!!! and send us surveys in the mail!!! But this time I was really disappointed at how ignorant they are thinking just because you are younger they don't trust you with a loaner. What about younger clients? Should they not buy lexus? Is this a real Lexus rule 23 and up? Or should I find my self a new dealer? I even offered my American Express card which has NO LIMIT and the advisor still said no and only offering shuttle service. At least the service manager spoke with me (I guess I caused a scene as other advisors came into the office) that was a very nice touch at least it showed they care. The manager told me the dealers insurance does not cover me, but my insurance does and anyways I thought I was responsible for the loaner once I drive it off the lot so why does it matter about theirs. Mine covers rentals/loaners my dad told me. I also have a good record no speeding tickets/ parking tickets/ accidents, etc. My dad has gotten loaners from them with no problem in the past.

Thoughts? Is it right? 23 and up true?

I am purposely being vague so I can leave people names, dealers, etc anonymous for obvious reasons of respect.

Last edited by triplecore; 08-03-07 at 06:37 PM. Reason: grammer/spelling
Old 08-03-07, 05:48 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rental companies will not rent out cars to people who are younger than 25 for liability reasons. I can imagine that it is the same for the dealer and their loaners.
Old 08-03-07, 06:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

ive never heard that before, my cousin is 18 to and when he goes to the lexus dealership, the give him a loaner just like they would any one else. they even let him choose which one he wants. maybe its cause we r good friends with almost everyone in the dealership but who knows i think u should get a loaner non the less
Old 08-03-07, 11:17 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my area its 21...and I was excited cuz I turned 18...then I drove it anyway when my dad brought the loaner home >:]
Old 08-04-07, 07:09 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Moving this to Car Chat for more responses.
Old 08-04-07, 07:19 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

21 is generally the age limit for lexus loaners.

This has nothing to do with the dealer's requirements and everything to do with their insurance company's requirements.

The dealer has insurance for all vehicles they loan out. If they set a 21 and up limit then their rates are far cheaper. The fact is that not that many people 16-20 own Lexuses, and even if they do, they're often not the most responsible drivers, and so the dealerships just offer a shuttle service instead.

5 years ago... I was 20 when I bought my GS400. They had one of the valet guys drive me to work in an RX300 (that was the current one at the time), pick me up from work, drop me off at an errand on the way, and then take me back to the dealership.

It was a little akward to be 'driven' around like that, especially at that age and with the guy being so overly polite despite being probably 15 years my senior... but whatever - it worked until I turned 21.
Old 08-04-07, 07:56 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Yea, there is an age limit for liability reasons. I never asked, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't hand me the keys to a loaner BMW. Rental car companies do not rent out to those under 21. That's why I usually bring my mom along, and then once we leave the premises, I end up taking over the wheel.

To any car rental companies that may be reading this: I HAVE NOT TESTED THE LIMITS OF YOUR VEHICLES.
Old 08-04-07, 11:22 AM
rg_gibson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends of the actual dealership because some allow users at 18 and older or some allow only 21 and older. Its all about insurance reliability. Some dealers dont even allow ppl 21 years and younger to test their vehicles while others do sometimes. I think it's all stupid, especially if you're using your own insurance policies.
Old 08-04-07, 11:27 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmmm i got a loaner right away when i said i needed car when my car goes in for service...they gave me one and it was sweet...ES ftw
Old 08-04-07, 02:32 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

thanks for the responses and thanks lexusk8 for helping me move it to the right place.

Can someone explain to me the insurance thing. I still do not understand why the dealer insurance would care since most people with the loaner plan to drive it off the lot. So wouldn't MY insurance or my dad bank account be responsible if anything happened to to the car.

ie While backing down my driveway the Lexus loaner is broadsided sided by a Ford Pickup going 100mph. I would think that I would be responsible/my insurance or I would pay out of pocket? Am I rght? Or with Lexus the dealer pays and I owe nothing?

With Mercedes they make it clear that after leaving the Dealership the car is %100 my responsibility and I will be held %100 accountable. In other words I scratch the loaner I pay to have it fixed. I total the loaner you buy us a new loaner. Which is why the offer a $40 a day total vehicle insurance option.

Last edited by triplecore; 08-04-07 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 02:38 PM
LexFather

There is a misconception that Lexus owners or drivers think they are ENTITLED to a loaner. You are not. Technically, the car needs either warrientied work or work over 4 hours long.

I've had a Lexus since 18 and I have always gotten loaners, sometimes it was a hassle but I tried my best to establish a RELATIONSHIP with the dealer and the employees there.

Old 08-04-07, 03:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
To any car rental companies that may be reading this: I HAVE NOT TESTED THE LIMITS OF YOUR VEHICLES.
I have

When I was 19 I had a loaner from the ford dealer 6 times in one month on my brand new ranger that had 13 miles on it for core sand they repeatedly couldn't get out of the engine.

Enterprise gave me a brand new dodge full size (2500?) that had 12 miles on it when I got it and 300 hard miles on it when I gave it back. That's why they don't give 19 yr olds loaners.

I'm 30 now and if a car breaks down I just go back in the garage and get another so I won't be in any loaners futuristically speaking, but I did enjoy my time when I had one. EVERYONE at any age drive the **** out of loaners, rare exceptions. However mostly younger drivers.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-04-07 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 03:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i get loaners from LMW without any issues

and im 18
Old 08-04-07, 03:56 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

it seems everyone is able to get loaner, so I am going to try another dealership next time. But can someone explain to me about the insurance I asked about? its in post #10. But Lexus Service people are very good compared with other dealers they seem to go over for the costumer. My advisor apologized and set up a shuttle for me to my house. Mercedes never does that and they charge higher rates.
Old 08-04-07, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is a misconception that Lexus owners or drivers think they are ENTITLED to a loaner. You are not. Technically, the car needs either warrientied work or work over 4 hours long.

I've had a Lexus since 18 and I have always gotten loaners, sometimes it was a hassle but I tried my best to establish a RELATIONSHIP with the dealer and the employees there.
You are correct, Mike, that loaners are not always guaranteed, but if the dealership offers them to those 21 and up they cannot make much of a case for not offering them to those younger as well. That is possible age discrimination. I understand that it is sometimes an insurance issue.....but most insurance companies themselves insure younger drivers...just at higher rates, that's all.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-07 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer Wont Give Me a Loaner!!! DECLINED!!!