Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bang and Olufsen

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 09:22 PM
Tom2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang and Olufsen

Look for a number of manufacturers to adapt the B&O audio systems when Audi's exclsuive period expires.

Names mentioned include Acura, BMW, MB and possibly Lexus to keep up with the competition. ML is rumored to have an enhanced version of current system to compete with high end B&O system.

Look for two systems one at a mid price point and one at a high price point.

Rumor has it that Acura will work with B&O to design their center stack, steering wheel controls and buttons(as in current MB S Series) for thier new designs.

B&O is rumored to be working on ergonomics for a navigation/information system for a number of manufactuers.

This will be a great move on Acura's part to distingusih itself from the competition.

Frankly, I would prefer for Lexus to migrate to B&O. B&O is a finer system with a greater name identification as a high end system.
Old 07-22-07, 10:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

B&O is all about aesthetics and unique functionality, not necessarily audiophile gear. This isn't necessarily a good thing for cars.
Old 07-22-07, 10:39 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
B&O is all about aesthetics and unique functionality, not necessarily audiophile gear. This isn't necessarily a good thing for cars.
Have you heard the system in the A8....its B&O system is pretty phenomenal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-Utk2XaU10

The only difference between the B&O system in this video and the new B&O system is that the new one has an aux jack now.
Old 07-23-07, 12:39 AM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's make a comparsion between Mark Levinson vs Bang & Olufsen?
Old 07-23-07, 03:42 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

B&O I used to read when it came to home audio when I was addict to that stuff was none other than a European version of Bose. Looks good but performance blows so I don't know if you would consider that high-end. If you heard the Logic 7 on S-class or the ML LS 460L you need no better.
Old 07-23-07, 03:50 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If Lexus ever goes into customization perhaps they could offer a 'Super-ML' package...based on the forums reports, the stock Lexus system is just average, not pretty good as previously; the ML is definitely great, especially in the higher-end models...and the top Lexus ML systems have beaten the B&O systems in many comparos. However, the B&O system has its merits as well, as reviewed and in its features.

However, considering the lengthy advertising, and long relationship, I think Lexus and Mark Levinson are a partnership that is hear to stay. Furthermore, since the ML system is considered by many to be the industry benchmark in vehicle audio, I think they can stay within this relationship and improve from there.
Old 07-23-07, 04:10 AM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

I wonder how does it compare the new LS's 19 speaker ML audio system.
Old 07-23-07, 04:14 AM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

Remember a friend of mine used to own a Acura RL. He wrote to ML ask them about possibilty of intalling their system on his car. He got reply that says ML only works with Lexus because it is the only cars they consider to be quiet enough to experience the high quality of sound; therefore they only will make sound systems for Lexus not other car makers.
Old 07-23-07, 04:17 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusChris
B&O I used to read when it came to home audio when I was addict to that stuff was none other than a European version of Bose. Looks good but performance blows so I don't know if you would consider that high-end.
Two points:

1) "Bose blows" and other such nonsense demonstrates a very cursory knowledge of audio systems. While Bose is indeed expensive for what it provides (they have to pay for all that marketing somehow), they actually produce exceptional sound for small-space applications.

2) That being said, B&O is in a whole different league. They have stunningly beautiful design, but the absolute high-end performance to back it up.
Old 07-23-07, 10:15 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
If Lexus ever goes into customization perhaps they could offer a 'Super-ML' package...based on the forums reports, the stock Lexus system is just average, not pretty good as previously; the ML is definitely great, especially in the higher-end models...and the top Lexus ML systems have beaten the B&O systems in many comparos. However, the B&O system has its merits as well, as reviewed and in its features.

However, considering the lengthy advertising, and long relationship, I think Lexus and Mark Levinson are a partnership that is hear to stay. Furthermore, since the ML system is considered by many to be the industry benchmark in vehicle audio, I think they can stay within this relationship and improve from there.
What "comparos" are you talking about? Post links.
Old 07-23-07, 11:28 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B&O is rumored to be working on ergonomics for a navigation/information system for a number of manufactuers.
I highly doubt this...navigation isn't something you can just wake up and decide to make. Probably OEMed by Alpine. And I can't imagine Honda ditching Alpine when they have such long history.

And I think Subaru was on the right track with OEM equipped McIntosh headunits, too bad its not available anymore. I'd kill for a McIntosh in my car.
Old 07-23-07, 11:30 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceman
Two points:

1) "Bose blows" and other such nonsense demonstrates a very cursory knowledge of audio systems. While Bose is indeed expensive for what it provides (they have to pay for all that marketing somehow), they actually produce exceptional sound for small-space applications.
Sorry, Bose is 90% marketing, 10% R&D. Their sounds are way too artificial and bass way too boomy. Bose indeed blows for the price you pay.

2) That being said, B&O is in a whole different league. They have stunningly beautiful design, but the absolute high-end performance to back it up.
Although a few steps up from Bose, they are more into fluff than sound.
Old 07-23-07, 11:54 AM
Tom2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I highly doubt this...navigation isn't something you can just wake up and decide to make. Probably OEMed by Alpine. And I can't imagine Honda ditching Alpine when they have such long history.

And I think Subaru was on the right track with OEM equipped McIntosh headunits, too bad its not available anymore. I'd kill for a McIntosh in my car.

First off, I didn't state a navigation sysytem, I referenced the ergonmics of such a system. Meaning controls, etc. This is an area B&O was received great acclaim for it's work with MB in the new S class.

Acura is not using Alpine for it's audio systems.
Old 07-23-07, 11:56 AM
Tom2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusChris
B&O I used to read when it came to home audio when I was addict to that stuff was none other than a European version of Bose. Looks good but performance blows so I don't know if you would consider that high-end. If you heard the Logic 7 on S-class or the ML LS 460L you need no better.
I have heard the Logic 7 and it does not compare to the B&O sysytem in the Audi.

B&O was selected over ML in a number of comparisons.
Old 07-23-07, 12:32 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2006
Acura is not using Alpine for it's audio systems.
Since when??

and where is the source for all this rumor you speak of??

Quick Reply: Bang and Olufsen