Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bang and Olufsen

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 12:57 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2006
I have heard the Logic 7 and it does not compare to the B&O sysytem in the Audi.

B&O was selected over ML in a number of comparisons.

Does anyone have any links to these comparisons?
Old 07-23-07, 01:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both systems are quite good in their own right. However, reviews take into account their sound quality, cost, etc.

In MSN Auto's comparison of best car audio systems, the LS 460's ML ranked first and the B&O was mid-pack:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4024826

2007 Lexus LS 460—$71,480
When Lexus added Mark Levinson sound systems to its vehicles in 2000, it raised expectation for all carmakers' premium audio offerings. The Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound Audio System in the 2007 Lexus LS 460 sets a new standard. The 19-speaker, 450-watt system not only plays DVD-Audio and DVD-Video surround-sound discs and CDs, but also incorporates a 8-gigabyte hard-disc drive that allows creating a personal music library of up to 2,000 songs. It's one of the best sounding systems available today, and the LS 460's ultra-quiet interior makes for a perfect venue. The system is also easy to operate thanks to the large touch-screen in the dash and one of the best voice-recognition systems on the road. One minor quibble is that with the steering-wheel audio controls at the 8 o'clock position, they aren't as easily accessible as others at 3 and 9 o'clock.
Sound Quality: 5 Ergonomics: 4

2007 Audi S8—$110,170
As easy on the eyes as it is pleasing to the ears, the Audi S8's Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System includes tweeters that rise up out of the dash and cool aluminum grilles in the doors and rear deck. And at $6,300, the 14-speaker, 1,000-watt system should give you something to show off. But at times I felt that the system looked better than it sounded. I noticed that when I moved my head to one side the sound changed, likely due to the position of the tweeters on the dash. You can optimize the sound of the system so it's best for the driver, front or rear passengers or for all the occupants in the vehicle, as well as vary the amount of surround-sound. But the occupant modes gave the music an unnatural sound, and I preferred listening with the surround mode turned off. The system was easy to operate thanks to Audi's Multi-Media Interface in the center console and the bold graphics on a small screen that slips into the dash when not in use. I also liked the rotary volume ***** on the center console and the steering wheel, but stashing the six-disc CD changer in the glove box seems so 20th century.
Sound Quality: 3.5 Ergonomics: 3.5
Similarly, Edmunds' reviews are telling, when comparing the $2,500 LS 460 ML system to the $6,300 S8 B&O system:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=103459

LS 460 Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound System

How does it sound: Stunning.

How does it work: The interface for using this complex and sophisticated system is surprisingly easy and intuitive. There are plenty of European luxury brands that could learn a thing or two from Lexus about making an in-car entertainment system easy to use without compromising features or quality.

Conclusion: The Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound system is the industry standard for in-car audio. It has just the right combination of features, dynamic sound quality, clarity and ease of use to make it the front-runner in an emerging sea of next-generation premium car audio systems.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=119449

S8 Bang & Olufsen Stereo System

How does it sound: B-

In a word, the B&O system sounds good, but not great.

How does it work: A
Much of the credit for this audio system's ease of use is due to Audi's excellent Multi Media Interface or MMI.

At first it's a little hard to get used to scrolling the tuning wheel down in order to move up in track number, but we're sure Audi S8 owners will quickly adjust.

Conclusion: The only flaw in the Bang & Olufsen system lies in the price, as the sound quality doesn't live up to our expectations. The 12-speaker Bose system that's standard on the S8 is just fine, and you still get MMI and the option of an iPod connection.
It's no surprise that the ML system has taken the #1 spot in Edmunds' back-to-back comparos lists (yes, lot of those were before the B&O came out); the latest reviews from them show that the ML system is still "the standard" but the B&O system is not bad either.

However it's a different case between the two, given that the ML system is much easier to acquire, and available across the entire range (albeit in different forms). So it's not surprising that Lexus has gotten its reputation with the Nakamichi and now ML partnership, and such high-end audio partnerships are seen increasingly. Not only does Edmunds like the Lexus-ML system in every Top 10 list 2002-2005, others such as LA Car (cited by VW press releases as well for their mention of the Phaeton) list it as well:

http://lacar.com/modules.php?name=Ne...rticle&sid=303
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...7/article.html
Old 07-23-07, 02:33 PM
Tom2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Since when??

and where is the source for all this rumor you speak of??

Acura systems sourced by Panansonic, per Acura.
Old 07-23-07, 02:43 PM
Tom2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enigma888
Both systems are quite good in their own right. However, reviews take into account their sound quality, cost, etc.

In MSN Auto's comparison of best car audio systems, the LS 460's ML ranked first and the B&O was mid-pack:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4024826

Similarly, Edmunds' reviews are telling, when comparing the $2,500 LS 460 ML system to the $6,300 S8 B&O system:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=103459

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=119449

It's no surprise that the ML system has taken the #1 spot in Edmunds' back-to-back comparos lists (yes, lot of those were before the B&O came out); the latest reviews from them show that the ML system is still "the standard" but the B&O system is not bad either.

However it's a different case between the two, given that the ML system is much easier to acquire, and available across the entire range (albeit in different forms). So it's not surprising that Lexus has gotten its reputation with the Nakamichi and now ML partnership, and such high-end audio partnerships are seen increasingly. Not only does Edmunds like the Lexus-ML system in every Top 10 list 2002-2005, others such as LA Car (cited by VW press releases as well for their mention of the Phaeton) list it as well:

http://lacar.com/modules.php?name=Ne...rticle&sid=303
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...7/article.html

The Bang & Olufsen in-car entertainment system fitted to the Audi A8 has
been voted the world’s best sound system.
At the seventh annual ‘Interior of the Year’ awards, conducted by Ward’s AutoWorld magazine in America, the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System specially designed for the Audi A8 scooped the top audio prize. A jury of 69 automotivejournalists voted it ‘best sound system’.
Old 07-23-07, 03:38 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom2006
The Bang & Olufsen in-car entertainment system fitted to the Audi A8 has
been voted the world’s best sound system.
At the seventh annual ‘Interior of the Year’ awards, conducted by Ward’s AutoWorld magazine in America, the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System specially designed for the Audi A8 scooped the top audio prize. A jury of 69 automotivejournalists voted it ‘best sound system’.
And guess what, that took place before the LS460 was made available to the market.
Old 07-23-07, 04:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interestingly, the eight annual 'Interior of the Year' awards, held in 2007 and conducted by Ward’s AutoWorld magazine in Detroit, Michigan, had different categories, not including sound system. Rather, it was a holistic judgment of comfort, safety and design harmony. In that one, the LS 460 was named #1, Best in Show; it received the Best Overall Comfort award.

http://www.autointeriors.com/autoint...1%3A44%3A41+PM
http://www.minivans.autoblog.com/200...e-year-awards/

It's good that the luxury makes are placing highly in these interior awards, as they should. That Audi is now bringing premium audio from B&O to the table is a good sign, and it likely spurs Lexus to make sure its ML audio system is world-class as well.
Old 07-23-07, 05:43 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Does Lexus still use Nakamichi at all? They make great stuff, it would be pretty cool if they used them as their 'standard' audio and ML as their premium package.
Old 07-23-07, 06:04 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Sorry, Bose is 90% marketing, 10% R&D. Their sounds are way too artificial and bass way too boomy. Bose indeed blows for the price you pay.

Although a few steps up from Bose, they are more into fluff than sound.
Sorry, but your opinions are worth the paper they're written on. Expert comparisons, documented evidence, heck even popular polling are all good ways to bolster one's case. But blanket statements of derision are neither helpful nor credible. Sorry.
Old 07-23-07, 08:14 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B&O is a serious sound company. I don't know about their car stuff, but their home stuff is definitely some nice but kinda quirky and proprietary stuff. I've installed a B&O multiroom system in a pain treatment clinic for the doctor to crank up to muffle the screaming of the patients being treated from those people outside of the room. LOL

Mark Levinson is honestly pretty overpriced in the home audio market - or at least VERY high priced - whether you have the golden ear to appreciate the tends of thousands of extra dollars worth of sound... well... I don't.

But ML stuff for Lexus vehicles seems to be MUCH more reasonably priced.

Bose - well.. I give them two big credits as a company - they make some really nice looking systems that are easy for just about anyone setup and not have to tune anything out of the box, and they're the masters of marketing.

Their systems cost about 3 times what they should cost based on sound quality and performance specs, but that's not to say the ease of setup and nice compact looks doesn't make up for that difference for SOME people (those who don't care as much about sound quality and price as they do about looks and ease of use).

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Does Lexus still use Nakamichi at all? They make great stuff, it would be pretty cool if they used them as their 'standard' audio and ML as their premium package.
I'm nearly positive that they don't.

I do remember hearing a couple of references to Pioneer as the supplier for base Lexus stereo systems - or at least for the ES and GS once upon a time - I dunno about now.
Old 07-23-07, 08:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
No. They started using ML in 2001. Lexus is the reason all car companies got serious about their audio. The Nakamichi systems were regarded best in the business.
ML is now considered the best in the business or near tops. I thought we had a thread talking about B&O recently and the A8. In reviews, it sounds (no pun intended) ML is superior to hear, B&O is right behind it but superior to "look" at.

Old 07-23-07, 08:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Sorry, Bose is 90% marketing, 10% R&D. Their sounds are way too artificial and bass way too boomy. Bose indeed blows for the price you pay.
That's because that's BOSE philosophy.

Other companies go for pure sound while BOSE focusses on technology to re-create the most life-like sound reproduction.

In other words, it's all artificially recreated. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing cause I've heard their Lifestyle sound systems and the top range sounds pretty damn good.

However, B&O is in a different league. They combine style and sound into one (expensive) package. I have their headphones and it sounds AWESOME for a small headphone. The vocals and the highs are crystal clear. The bass is somewhat lacking so you definitely want another headphone set if you want to listen to 50 cent but if you listen to music with a solid bass (for a lack of a better word) rather than the thumping bass of rap music, the B&O headphones work beautifully.

Oh and they're the most stylish set of headphones I've seen. I've yet to see another person with my headphones.
Old 08-04-07, 10:44 PM
andresmirt
Driver School Candidate

i had a summer job as a valet in a hotel/condo in miami... perks of the job, aside driving nice cars, was listening to kick *** stereos.
i dont think that the bose systems ive heard really stand much of a chance against B&O or ML. but between those two, regardless of price... i think theyre pretty equal, very high quality systems when the car comes with it.. i dont think id pay to have this installed in my car. the advantage that i feel these systems have over your regular subs amps and component speakers is that the OE equipped stuff is equalized to sound pretty damn good, where as when i heard aftermarket stuff in cars... there would always be either too much bass (mostly) and you get that nasty license plate rattle... or you just get off key sound... i dunno if what i wrote made any sense.. hehe but in any case, i think ML & B&O are pretty damn good... and pretty equal in quality IMO. although i do have a preferance for ML because i have a custom built home theater by them... three amp's, a sound processor, and a 15" woofer... the rest of it is made by diff companies but i love it anyways
Old 08-05-07, 04:42 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

i have to say that i also think BOSE is overpriced. indeed the lifestyle system is quite nice... but a similar system could be had for half the price.

and P.S. their car audio sucks *****

those noise cancelling headphones are pretty good though.
Old 08-05-07, 09:47 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Iceman
Sorry, but your opinions are worth the paper they're written on. Expert comparisons, documented evidence, heck even popular polling are all good ways to bolster one's case. But blanket statements of derision are neither helpful nor credible. Sorry.
My opinion may not be worth much more than his, but I agree with the other 3 people. Bose sucks. Infact, I have yet to talk to any real audophile that would recommend a Bose setup... No highs, no lows, must be Bose.
Old 08-05-07, 08:06 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
My opinion may not be worth much more than his, but I agree with the other 3 people. Bose sucks. Infact, I have yet to talk to any real audophile that would recommend a Bose setup... No highs, no lows, must be Bose.
Amen to that.

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Anyone who would recommend Bose equipment obviously hasn't developed the ear or taken the time to listen to real audio equipment. I remember many years ago, a few of my dad's friends got Bose systems and they all liked to show them off when we would go over. When they came over to our house and listened to our ML system (the other ML, Martin Logan), they were completely blown away. It just takes listening to a real system once and then you'll realize just how inferior Bose is.

Don't get me started on their headphones. Noise cancellation is only good for construction workers.

Originally Posted by Nextourer
That's because that's BOSE philosophy.

Other companies go for pure sound while BOSE focusses on technology to re-create the most life-like sound reproduction.

In other words, it's all artificially recreated. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing cause I've heard their Lifestyle sound systems and the top range sounds pretty damn good.
I guess that's why Bose has never had a system THX certified. (They've tried though)

Quick Reply: Bang and Olufsen