Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Preview: Maybach Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 06:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Preview: Maybach Cabriolet

Preview: Maybach Cabrio

Posted on Wednesday 11 July 2007

DaimlerChrysler’s ultra-luxury brand Maybach, suffering from poor sales and a limited lineup, could expand its range with rumored convertible and SUV models in an effort to increase profitability. Though chances of a high-end SUV are slim, the likelihood of a convertible model based on the current 57 limo is high considering that sister-brand Mercedes-Benz has confirmed production of its own four-door luxury drop-top.

Sharing its underpinnings with the Maybach 57, the new cabrio will seat up to four passengers and is expected to be produced in a limited run of just 25 to 50 cars. UK’s Car reports that each model will be made to special order with the first deliveries likely to kick-in late next year.

The car will be differentiated from its sedan sibling thanks to a new grille, lights and bumpers, and it will likely feature an electrically operated soft-top as a folding metal roof would be too heavy and complex in a vehicle this size.

Maybach’s annual production stood at just 280 cars last year, a smidgen compared to its main rivals Bentley and Rolls-Royce, whose production levels range into the thousands. The story gets worse because both competitors are preparing new or updated models, which means Maybach will have to really kick it up a gear.
via motorauthority
Old 07-11-07, 06:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks nice not sporty enough for me though
Old 07-11-07, 07:10 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.

The car will be differentiated from its sedan sibling thanks to a new grille, lights and bumpers, and it will likely feature an electrically operated soft-top as a folding metal roof would be too heavy and complex in a vehicle this size.

The story gets worse because both competitors are preparing new or updated models, which means Maybach will have to really kick it up a gear.
Complex would be great you can charge an arm and a leg, I don't think the people in the Middle East would mind a $700,000 convertible

Maybach has potential, it would be interesting if they do go with a SUV model, Rolls Royce would never do that and for sure Bentley wouldn't either, but I could be wrong. Actually I could see Bentley go into the SUV market seeign they went down market with the Continental GT.
Old 07-11-07, 08:55 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

soft top? ... iiiiii dunno ... in an age when pontiac is doing hard top convertables, i'm not sure how some1 could justify a soft top.
Old 07-11-07, 10:31 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Yikes...
Old 07-11-07, 10:44 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it better than Richard Hammond's Limo convertible??? hahaha
Old 07-11-07, 12:17 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Faymester
soft top? ... iiiiii dunno ... in an age when pontiac is doing hard top convertables, i'm not sure how some1 could justify a soft top.
The most expensive verts in the world have soft tops.....Lambo, Ferrari, AM, Bentley, RR.
Old 07-11-07, 12:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If Bentley can do it, so should Maybach...
Old 07-11-07, 12:26 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparantly that doesn't stop the RR Drophead from getting a soft top.
Old 07-11-07, 02:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beltfed
The most expensive verts in the world have soft tops.....Lambo, Ferrari, AM, Bentley, RR.
yes and i think its a little rediculous ... yes i understand the weight savings of it ... but they could just add more power to compensate for the weight of the hard top ... especially if there is room for the hard top system ... benz has hard top verts

all im saying is soft tops
Old 07-11-07, 02:34 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

yes and i think its a little rediculous ... yes i understand the weight savings of it ... but they could just add more power to compensate for the weight of the hard top ... especially if there is room for the hard top system ... benz has hard top verts
Currently the SL has a hardtop, the CLK doesn't. That will probably change with the next gen as the BMW 3 now has a hardtop.

That aside, the 6series has a soft top, Jaguar XK has a soft top.

Soft tops have a traditional luxury look and also allow a designer to do more with a design....hard tops not as much.
Old 07-11-07, 05:40 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

it occurred to me while i was chatting w. another member this afternoon ... most of you guy are in the states ... and may not completely understand why soft tops royally suck for any type of even remotely practicle applicaton

for the record: i love lambo [many of you know this], but i'd never buy a soft top lambo ... it's just too useless

also, i dont think soft tops help the design, they often make the windshield look stupid because the top of the windshield comes so far back over the driver
Old 07-11-07, 08:38 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

it occurred to me while i was chatting w. another member this afternoon ... most of you guy are in the states ... and may not completely understand why soft tops royally suck for any type of even remotely practicle applicaton

for the record: i love lambo [many of you know this], but i'd never buy a soft top lambo ... it's just too useless

also, i dont think soft tops help the design, they often make the windshield look stupid because the top of the windshield comes so far back over the driver
Like you live on another planet? You're in Canada!!!!

What does living in the U.S. have anything to do with understanding soft tops vs. hard tops?

Todays soft tops (on premium vehicles especially) are very good. Yeah, maybe for security purposes they aren't the best.

Whether you like them or not, soft tops give the designer and easier time to do what they want.
Old 07-11-07, 09:04 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO there is NO excuse to have a soft top on a car that is more
than 75K.
Old 07-11-07, 09:40 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marshmallo
IMHO there is NO excuse to have a soft top on a car that is more
than 75K.
There is an excuse......hard tops take up room. Therefore not all premium cars can use a hard top due to design.

Quick Reply: Preview: Maybach Cabriolet