Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Test: 2008 Mercedes C350 Sport (Pricing Announced pg. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 10:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Edmunds Test: 2008 Mercedes C350 Sport (Pricing Announced pg. 2)

Everything's New but the Engines

What Works:
Noticeably improved steering; intuitive infotainment controller; multimedia package rates with industry's best.

What Needs Work:
Too many disparate M-B design cues; sterile interior; drivetrain sets no new output standards.

Bottom Line:
Within the ultracompetitive segment of entry-level luxury-performance sedans, the 2008 C350 hits the bull's eye several times, but misses two crucial targets: engine output and styling.

We first saw the third-generation 2008 C-Class in Stuttgart, and instead of a First Look, it was more like a First Whiff. We caught the scent of the three European flavours on the C-Class menu, but we never had a chance to sample anything from the U.S.-specification platter.

This week, we managed to pry a 2008 Mercedes-Benz C350 away from its press introduction in Portland, Oregon, and drove it all the way back to our offices in Santa Monica, California. What we learned on this 1,000-mile drive and after instrumented track testing shows us that Mercedes-Benz is serious about the C-Class' competition.

Not only has Mercedes-Benz gained an inch or two on a certain yardstick sedan from Munich in terms of subjective vehicle dynamics, but also the Stuttgart-based company has jumped into the infotainment technology race to compete more effectively with high-tech Japanese sport sedans.

The First Boat Arrives in August
The 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class will arrive in the U.S. this August, and it will initially include two models: the C300 with its 228-horsepower V6 and the C350 Sport powered by a 268-hp V6. Though these engines are familiar from the current C-Class lineup, Mercedes-Benz is quick to inform us that the C300's 3.0-liter V6 is flex-fuel-compliant straight from the factory.

The C300 will make up the vast majority of C-Class sales, and it'll be trimmed out as either Luxury or Sport. An all-wheel-drive 4Matic configuration of the C300 will arrive in September. The C350 is offered only as a rear-wheel-drive sedan in Sport trim, and it will have a seven-speed automatic transmission. (A six-speed manual transmission is available only for the C300 Sport.)

A brilliant infotainment system is standard equipment across all C-Class models, featuring a nudge-twist-press console controller and high-quality 7-inch LCD screen. Also part of this package of standard convenience features will be Bluetooth connectivity, a 12-button multifunction steering wheel, dual-zone automatic climate control, a power moonroof, eight-way power front seats and more.

While Mercedes knows that the C300 will outsell the C350 3-1, the model for those of us who prefer a more enthusiastically endowed car is the C350 Sport. All Sport models now feature a unique grille, AMG-styled body cladding, big tires, a different suspension tune, upgraded brakes and dual exhaust. The C350 Sport further features the 268-hp 3.5-liter V6 plus the full allotment of interior options as standard equipment, and it's set apart visually by a trunk-mounted spoiler.

Mercedes has yet to set official pricing, but indicates there will be about a 4 percent increase across the board. This would place the least expensive C300 Luxury MSRP at about $31,000 and range up to a C350 Sport at around $40,325.

It's Quite the Hard Body
Some 70 percent of the C-Class' new body-in-white is constructed of high-strength steel, and 20 percent of that is costly ultrahigh-strength steel. Meanwhile, the doors, front safety structure, front fenders and parcel shelf are made of aluminum. As a result, this new hard body is more structurally rigid than that of the outgoing C-Class, yet weighs 17 pounds less.

New chassis subframes locate new lightweight suspension components for quicker response and more precise control, and the engine is mounted lower for improved handling.

The new shock dampers feature multivalve internals that quickly firm up damping rates when a wheel moves beyond the first centimeter of suspension travel, a simple mechanical solution to deliver a compliant ride with firm control. We've found that road noise and vibration vary greatly with the texture of the road surface, so perhaps the new dampers don't work quite as well as Mercedes had hoped.

Making Your Hands Feel Good
Just as we'd hoped, this substantially revised chassis includes some important measures to improve the precision and feel of the C350's steering. The 2008 C-Class features a steering ratio that's 6 percent quicker than before, plus a rigidly mounted, aluminum rack-and-pinion unit.

It seems that Mercedes has finally addressed criticism that the C-Class' steering felt wooden and inert. Now there's actually some useful information coming through the steering wheel, while the steering effort is weightier, too. To celebrate, the newly recontoured rim of the Sport's three-spoke steering wheel no longer feels like a roll of quarters wrapped in an athletic bandage.

We can vouch for the C350 Sport's rock-solid high-speed stability, as we spent about 15 hours at serious velocity on Interstate 5 driving from Portland, Oregon, to Los Angeles. Meanwhile, the new lightweight components of the C-Class' familiar multilink independent rear suspension also add a new delicacy and poise to this car.

In terms of objective dynamics, the C350 Sport comes as close to replicating the benchmark experience of driving a BMW 3 Series as it ever has.

At the Track and on the Road
At the test track, the 2008 C350 posted a slightly disappointing figure of 0.83g on the skid pad, despite its combination of 225/40YR18 Continental ContiSport Contact3 tires at the front and 255/35YR18s at the rear. Nevertheless, it achieved a sporty 67.6-mph speed through the slalom.

At the drag strip, we're not surprised to learn that the new C350 Sport is no faster than the one it replaces. The 268-hp motivation from this 24-valve DOHC V6 is the same while the new car's 3,498-pound curb weight represents an increase of 48 pounds. The C350 arrives at 60 mph in 6.2 seconds, then makes the run through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 96.5 mph.

Full-ABS braking tests for the C350 Sport didn't improve either, halting the C350 from 60 mph in a still admirable 118 feet, exactly matching our results from a 2006 C350 test.

Despite the sporty performances at the test track, the C350 is never harsh on the road, doesn't skip like a stone over broken pavement and gobbles up miles of interstate like a presidential candidate does campaign donations. We easily consumed 15.5 gallons of premium fuel in one sitting (about 5.5 hours) and earned 25.6 mpg in the process — not bad considering the 72-mph average speed.

The Big C
For 2008 the C-Class grows in almost every dimension inside and out. Paradoxically, the measurements of available front and rear headroom shrink now that the moonroof is standard equipment.

Meanwhile, legroom up front is unchanged and in the rear it stretches by just 0.4 inch (although it feels much larger). Shoulder and hiproom in all positions increases by at least a half inch.

Although overall interior passenger volume remains essentially the same, the cabin seems more open and airy, evidence of less tumblehome.

The Onset of Styling Droop
For all its newness and increased gravitas, we wish we could say the new C-Class looks better than the outgoing C-Class, but we can't.

The blunt nose of the car is reportedly in homage to the S-Class, but we all know its existence is to meet forthcoming pedestrian-impact regulations in Europe. Why else would Mercedes forfeit the previous car's aerodynamic shape, going from a 0.26 coefficient of drag to a new 0.30 Cd?

The 2008 C-Class tries to reward its passengers on the inside rather than the onlookers on the outside. It's as if Mercedes engineered its all-new body-in-white and forgot to design an attractive wrapper for it.

It's All About Power, Isn't It?
The C350's performance is merely adequate. We hate to be horsepower mongers, but feel the minimum ante into the entry-level luxury-performance sedan category ought to be 300 hp.

Look, we know the C300 is crucial to Mercedes-Benz; it's the const-conscious car that brings people to the Benz brand and keeps the lights on in Stuttgart. At $31,000, the C300 is a fine automobile and as it turns out, it's the right version of this car.

The C350 is enjoyable to drive, but it just doesn't make as much sense as a sport sedan as it should. It's a little down on power, a little short on interior space and way too long on price.

Old 06-27-07, 10:28 PM
LexFather

Interor looks like a Honda
Exterior like a Hyundai
Performance is average

Why buy this? Lexus and BMW are duking it out with the IS and 3, heck the new G35/37 is a great improvement over the previous car and heck I think the Acura TL , an older car, is better than this thing.

WHy buy this? What is the reason?

Old 06-27-07, 10:36 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya know when you're driving down the street and you DON'T see all those cars you're passing? this C falls into that catagory
Old 06-27-07, 10:50 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Interor looks like a Honda
Exterior like a Hyundai
Performance is average

Why buy this? Lexus and BMW are duking it out with the IS and 3, heck the new G35/37 is a great improvement over the previous car and heck I think the Acura TL , an older car, is better than this thing.

WHy buy this? What is the reason?
You know I still am a member at Mbworld.org and I used to see you post there all the time, most of them were negative posts......Is it me or are you biased against MB I mean you have to admit the new C is a big step from the W203. I'm not going to lie to myself and say hey this is competition Lexus and BMW should be aware of but the W204 is a higher stepping stone than the past.
Old 06-27-07, 10:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MoLexus
You know I still am a member at Mbworld.org and I used to see you post there all the time, most of them were negative posts......Is it me or are you biased against MB I mean you have to admit the new C is a big step from the W203. I'm not going to lie to myself and say hey this is competition Lexus and BMW should be aware of but the W204 is a higher stepping stone than the past.
Err, no, check my posts, no way in hell they were mostly negative. I've met way too many MBWorld members. I've stopped posting mostly b/c of the childish rants there from the misinformed.

If you even look on my sig there, I love AMG, I think Benz is a great brand.

I will continue to post honesty and it maybe brutal. I did not SAY this is a bad car, I just don't see it any better than what is out now. Considering this is the NEWEST car on the block, they had ample time to mark the competition and try to surpass it.

So I ask you, why buy this car? B/C again, I don't see it better than the competition in any aspect.

Old 06-27-07, 11:04 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

:X i don't want to even say its fugly...it would be an insult to the word.
Old 06-27-07, 11:08 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't posted there since I got the Lexus but I used to see you post there and get into it with alot of the members. Mercedes knows that it sells by the name not by the critics. I think if anyone was to buy a MB it should be E, S, CLS, and SL why? because those cars if you look in the past (excluding the CLS) are the ones that keep there trademark. AMG on the other hand is another story, if your talking 05 and up AMG then yea but anything below that was just a joke IMO.
Old 06-27-07, 11:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I haven't posted there since I got the Lexus but I used to see you post there and get into it with alot of the members. Mercedes knows that it sells by the name not by the critics. I think if anyone was to buy a MB it should be E, S, CLS, and SL why? because those cars if you look in the past (excluding the CLS) are the ones that keep there trademark. AMG on the other hand is another story, if your talking 05 and up AMG then yea but anything below that was just a joke IMO.
I did NOT get into it with a lot of members, please search my threads on MBWorld. Did I try to inform the misinformed? Yes, and that might be called "getting into it". When you read things like "lexus are all Camry based", I can't help but try to tell the truth.

I guess I like the previous C-class too much. I got a chick with one and I think its a fantastic looking car inside and out.

This new one, it does not look like a Benz. Even the C-pillar is more BMW than Benz.

Old 06-27-07, 11:18 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I would have thought they would have mimicked the G/IS C-pillar but I guess not. The things I hated the most about the W203 was the seats, try sitting in them for more than one hour in traffic also they have problems with the A/C after a few years. Now about the Camry comments.....what do you expect your in a MB forum.
Old 06-28-07, 03:06 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking car from the front till about... the back seat (on the exterior) but than the boot is ugly! Why ruin it so much with that one section. Anyway, it's only a C series, so they have to leave the best for the best Mercedes I guess.
Old 06-28-07, 06:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the exterior of the car looks great, which is unlike Edmunds sentiments. Nice and sporty, but still elegant.

The interior though, as I said before...seriously? I really can't believe that Mercedes thought this was acceptable in any way, shape, or form. The Toyota Corolla has a more coherent and visually appealing interior than this car. It's absolutely UNACCEPTABLE for this class
Old 06-28-07, 06:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

doesnt look sporty at all, to boxy looking to be sporty

C350 Sport at around $40,325
uhhhhh?
Old 06-28-07, 10:46 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think the exterior of the car looks great, which is unlike Edmunds sentiments. Nice and sporty, but still elegant.
I agree. Much better looking than the previous gen IMHO.
Old 06-28-07, 11:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

while it is an improvement over the wedge shaped civic of the previous, I dont think it looks sporty, just a shrunk E class
Old 06-28-07, 11:31 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

while it is a great improvement from the last Gen, but there are just too many better cars in the market now... I don't see why it will stand out.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Test: 2008 Mercedes C350 Sport (Pricing Announced pg. 2)