Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Think twice before street racing (cars immediately sent to crusher)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 09:59 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Think twice before street racing (cars immediately sent to crusher)

Video: http://www.foxnews.com/video2/launch...ch%20Page&News

The state of California has taken a hard line against illegal street racing, the type of which has on occasion led to the death of innocent pedestrians and the racers themselves. They're employing a new deterrent to make these illegal racers think twice about competing on public roads – crushing the impounded cars of those caught street racing. This Fox News video clip (click this link to view) shows a local reporter present at the inaugural crush who appears a little too excited about the event compared to the disembodied anchorman whose voiceover we hear in the backgroiund. The tuned Honda Civic hatch is flattened quickly inside the crusher's jaws, the extreme pressure popping out its windows like eyeballs and some of the hatch's contents ejecting out the back like vomit. Fortunately, it looks like the aftermarket rims may have survived. The Ron Burgandy wannabe behind the desk says it best at the end exclaiming, "Half the guys in the studio are crying at what you just showed us."
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/20/p...street-racers/
Old 06-21-07, 10:10 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sad to see some nice rides getting squished. It seems a logical step since other methods aren't motivating enough change.
Old 06-21-07, 10:11 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

cant view video for some reason but sucks living in CA.
Old 06-21-07, 10:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is GREAT to have these videos deter improper racing.

Go to a race track to race. Get your car crushed if you try to do it in the street...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 06-21-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-21-07, 10:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Damn those are some drastic measures at least part it out and crush the rest. How does that work though if someone still owes on their car etc.....
Old 06-21-07, 10:27 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the cars that got crushed are cars that were caught in street racing more than once AND they had stolen engines or and transmissions.

I highly doubt if your car is totally legit, first time ticket for racing that they will crush your car.

These guys were repeat affenders with stolen parts.
Old 06-21-07, 10:31 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Punishment doesn't fit the crime. Drunk drivers constantly get a pass. There is no consistency to law.
Old 06-21-07, 10:34 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'd be SOL.

Public streets are not for racing and if this is the only way people will learn, then this is the way to do it. And of course this is for repeated offenders I'd assume. Too harsh for first-timers.

As for DUI... Something definitely needs to be done about that.

Last edited by Yang1815; 06-21-07 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-21-07, 10:35 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand the need for public saftey, but the destruction of priv property is alittle extreme.
Old 06-21-07, 10:46 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see where they think they can just confiscate you're property and crush it like that. What if that is you're only means of transportation? If they take that car how can you get to work, to school, or anywhere else you want to go? There are cases sometimes where you just can't help yourself, and anyone here who denies is is full of it too. I have "raced" on the open road before, and i admit my mistakes. The only legit way i can see them crushing someones car is if they get an estimate and pay the person the cars worth before destroying it.
Old 06-21-07, 10:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if they want to do this, they need to do it to drunk drivers also

I have a feeling this type of punishment wont fly for long
Old 06-21-07, 11:06 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Somebody would die! I mean if your a repeat offender with stolen parts then I guess I understand it....maybe. Seriously if this happen to my car that I built with my own money, I'd be in jail alright but it would be because someone was blown up and not for street racing. My question is what happens to the stolen parts? Do they get returned to the owner before the car is crushed or does the owner get F'ed over?

I'm all for racing at a track but in my case, the closest track in about an hour awayand the drive is not the safest since its in the middle of hickville and 50% of the drive in on a little 2 lane/2 way raod with NO lights on it. I mean its so much easier just going to to a spot where they don't have innocent people. If we kill ourselves then so be it, we know the risk.
Old 06-21-07, 11:25 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure how legal this actually may be. While I'm all for it, considering the amount and the severity of street racing in CA, something about this just doesn't sound legal. Impounding a car is one thing, especially if there is still something owed on the car... but crushing it all together is a different story. I know that if the car is impounded and you still owe on the car, they notify the title holder and usually the car is repo'ed. It's the same thing if it's a drug seizure... if you own the car out right, then the car becomes property of the department that busted you. If that's the case with these cars, then fine. I'm all for it... you gotta pay to play. But, something about it still stinks. I have a feeling this won't be happening too often.

And I agree... DUI's should also be fit for this punishment. But, then again... they would never pass that kind of law, as some DUI arrests are members of city councils, members of the Bar, not to mention some of them are also judges and cops themselves. Why make a law against themselves? Duh!
Old 06-21-07, 12:17 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I see no real added benefit to crushing the car. Obviously to crush and destroy someones car they would have to sieze the car first. Now why not auction it off or fine the driver to get it back instead of crushing it and scrapping it at a fraction of it's value, stupid
Old 06-21-07, 01:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Guy's, the video explains WHY they don't just part out the car or sell it.

A big part of the punishment is the psychology of knowing your car that you spent so much money and work into is being destroyed. If the car simply found another owner, then the it doesn't feel so bad. If this is what it takes to stop street racing, then so be it. It should pass legality because the warning/punishment has been announced so if you still choose to street race then you definately deserve it.

Quick Reply: Think twice before street racing (cars immediately sent to crusher)