Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A 5.0 Liter V8 Coming Soon To Infiniti ? (+ future Infiniti line-up)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 08:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default A 5.0 Liter V8 Coming Soon To Infiniti ? (+ future Infiniti line-up)

Do a search on 'M50' at the US Patent website. The results are interesting. Especially the entry from Nissan.

Just following up with the earlier post about the future plans of Infiniti- in July of last year, a trademark was filed for 'M50', which falls into line with the news I had been told- expect a brand new 5.0 liter engine to be unveiled fairly soon (late this year or early next) in conjunction with a planned refresh for the Infiniti M. The engine choice will also be carried over into the FX lineup, along with the 3.7 slotted into the G Coupe.

In more Infiniti news, the Q is officially dead in North America- no more older 2006 models will be imported from overseas sources for dealers who want one or two on their lots (which is weird, since only one or two were selling per month, but I digress). The same source I have that told me about the future plans for Infiniti has basically said to expect a concept Q at Detroit next year, followed by the brand new Q50 back in the fold as a 2009 model, being released in late 2008. The 'theme' of the new Q will harken back to the first generation- more of a no holds barred shot across the bow of BMW and their 7 Series- Infiniti has learned their lesson and will not be trying to out-Lexus Lexus again. The basis for the new Q is to be a stretched and modified version of the M underpinnings with the usual laundry list of standard luxury features.

A more juicy couple tidbits of information is that they're juggling around the idea of offering a coupe version as well to go up against the 6 Series, and they're also thinking about offering a second LARGER engine choice for the Q. Good ideas indeed.
http://themagsreport.blogspot.com/20...v8-coming.html
Old 06-13-07, 08:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Future Infiniti Line-up . . .

Infiniti Has Seen The Future, And That Future Doesn't Include Big Trucks

With the first shots of the forthcoming Infiniti EX35 hitting the net today, there has been some discussion as to what exactly Infiniti is doing with their range of vehicles.

Once the EX is officially in the fold, they'll have 3 trucks/crossovers to choose from, and only 2 passenger cars.

Weird combination right?

Well the future plan looks like this for Infiniti-

The EX35, which will be sporting the VQ 3.5, will be slotting underneath the FX series vehicles at a lower price point, but with almost the same amount of interior space. The VQ in this variation will be rated at 300 HP or more. There is talk of providing the 2.5 I4 engine from the Altima/Sentra SE-R as a possible EX25 entry level model. The range will compete against the BMW X3, the Acura RDX, and the smaller Lexus SUV due to come out in a few years.

The FX series will move up in size with their redesign, scheduled within the next 2 years, in order to combat the newly enlarged BMW X5, the Mercedes ML series, the Audi Q7, the Cadillac SRX and the Lexus RX. Two engine options will be available again, however the lower end engine will be the 3.7 liter VQ currently scheduled for the Infiniti G37 Coupe. The V8 will be an all new engine which will be also featured in the refreshed M series, and the all new...
Q50. The current 4.5 liter V8 is quickly being caught by the bored out VQ 3.7, so Infiniti/Nissan will be making a larger version for use in their premium models. Some thought had been given to using the powerplant in the GT-R, but it was quickly nixed as not being sporty enough.
The horrid QX56 is scheduled to be discontinued once the new lineups are in place. It will go back to being a Nissan only model.

So the Infiniti lineup will look as follows-

EX25/EX35
FX37/FX50
G37 Sedan/G37 Coupe
M37/M50
Q50

Leaner and more focused for the Japanese BMW competitor.
http://themagsreport.blogspot.com/20...-and-that.html
Old 06-13-07, 08:54 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I personally think the Q will never make a comeback. If it does it really has a humongous hill to climb. It's not gonna be placed or be assoicated with the top tier luxury marks such as Lexus, BMW or Mercedes, or the secondary top tier such as Audi, Acura or Jaguar, etc. I wish the Infiniti Q good luck...
Old 06-13-07, 08:55 PM
LexFather

I should be a writer b/c I pointed out Infiniti is basically a 2 car/2 SUV lineup and will move to wow, a 3 car/2 SUV lineup.

I also said the QX56 was garbage and a mistake and should be dropped.

A 5.0 V-8 seems a logical step, I am sure right around 400hp.

So a Q50 will be a streched M35/45 which is a stretched G35 which is a stretched 350Z. No way in hell a flagship should share ANYTHING with a car starting at 26k. They just don't get it. The name/letter "Q" is a mistake, its one of the least used, worst letters in the alphabet.

They don't get it and will continue to be a niche player.

Old 06-13-07, 08:59 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About time to update the M45.

I heard they're doing a little facelift and interior update as well to the M.
Old 06-13-07, 09:07 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was quick, only one gen for the QX
Old 06-13-07, 09:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they need a new V8 badly when the 3.5 makes 306 hp and the 4.5 makes 325. They need 6 speeds also
Old 06-13-07, 09:12 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.. Q50 sounds nice heh.
Old 06-13-07, 09:15 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I should be a writer b/c I pointed out Infiniti is basically a 2 car/2 SUV lineup and will move to wow, a 3 car/2 SUV lineup.

I also said the QX56 was garbage and a mistake and should be dropped.

A 5.0 V-8 seems a logical step, I am sure right around 400hp.

So a Q50 will be a streched M35/45 which is a stretched G35 which is a stretched 350Z. No way in hell a flagship should share ANYTHING with a car starting at 26k. They just don't get it. The name/letter "Q" is a mistake, its one of the least used, worst letters in the alphabet.

They don't get it and will continue to be a niche player.

Honestly, I think they're just trying to hold on to some heritage here by continuing the "Q" name. Before the 2002-2006 Q, they actually sold a decent amount of them which would justify coming out with future redesigns under the same name. However, because the 02-06 were so unsuccessful from a sales perspective, it probably isn't a good idea for them to put out a new Q for MY 2009. Maybe if they didn't skip 2007-2008, they could hold on to the past a bit by keeping the name the same, but IMO they should start over.

Infiniti had absolutely (or very little) reputation on the M line prior to 2005, yet still managed to sell 2000/month once the redesign was launched. The M has been very successful regardless of any heritage or ties to previous models. So I don't necessarily believe everything is based around a simple letter. However, due to the fact that the "Q" name has been looked upon as not being equal to the other flagships from other makes in the past 5 years (not true - but still the overall misconception in the public's eyes), they probably should just start over.

I think the letter "V" would be a better choice. No one else is using it, and it doesn't sound weird. Infiniti V50 - the new flagship from Infiniti. I dunno, sounds good to me.

As far as using the same platform as the M & G models, I don't see what the big deal is. They have literally changed their entire image as a luxury nameplate based on that platform, and it doesn't surprise me that they would continue using it for the new flagship. I don't think it makes them any less of a luxury division, when you consider that the ES & RX is based on the Camry platform and the LX is based on the Land Cruiser platform. As long as it meets the demands of the buyer, why should it matter? They are clearly going to be targeting the more sport-oriented luxury market, so if it works, why not? It will be a modified platform from the other models, so it's not exactly the same platform anyway.
Old 06-13-07, 10:23 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope it's a V10
Old 06-13-07, 10:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I hope it's a V10
Naw, Lexus will have that instead.

Old 06-13-07, 11:49 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be awesome is a 5.0l found its way under the hood of a G coupe... An all aluminum 5.0l hopefully though!
Old 06-14-07, 07:18 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

"The 'theme' of the new Q will harken back to the first generation- more of a no holds barred shot across the bow of BMW and their 7 Series- Infiniti has learned their lesson and will not be trying to out-Lexus Lexus again."

This is exactly what it should be. The original Q45 was a tremendous car.

"So a Q50 will be a streched M35/45 which is a stretched G35 which is a stretched 350Z. No way in hell a flagship should share ANYTHING with a car starting at 26k. They just don't get it. The name/letter "Q" is a mistake, its one of the least used, worst letters in the alphabet."

So what? It's a great platform. Why reinvent the wheel? And about the Q moniker? There's nothing wrong with it (as if some letters are good and some bad). LS, is pretty generic, I'd say, since everyone has used it. It's the car, not the name, which distinguishes it. The fact is, noone knows WHAT the new car will be called.

Last edited by speedflex; 06-14-07 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-14-07, 07:29 AM
MikeSC4
Driver

I'm excited to see a new Q. I think it will sell well as long as Infiniti does what it does best which is pricing, technology, bold designs and sportiness. The only other option for a Japanese flagship car is the LS. Those turned off by the bland looks of the LS will turn to the Q, so there is definately a market out there for those that want a reliable Japanese car thats closer to the BMW feel.
Old 06-14-07, 07:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

G50 coupe please

Quick Reply: A 5.0 Liter V8 Coming Soon To Infiniti ? (+ future Infiniti line-up)