Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoPacific 2007 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 11:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default AutoPacific 2007 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards

Code:

Top 2007 model year performers are:

BRAND:                             Infiniti

PASSENGER CARS:

Premium Luxury Car                 Lexus LS/BMW 7-Series
    Aspirational Luxury Car            Jaguar X-Type
    Large Luxury Car                   Cadillac DTS
    Large Car                          Hyundai Azera/Toyota Avalon
    Luxury Mid-Size Car                Nissan Maxima
    Premium Mid-Size Car               Nissan Altima
    Mid-Size Car                       Saturn Aura
    Image Compact Car                  Audi A3
    Compact Car                        Pontiac G5
    Economy Car                        Honda Fit
    Premium Sports Car                 Lexus SC
    Sports Car                         Porsche Boxster
    Sporty Car                         Scion tC

LIGHT TRUCKS:

Large Light-Duty Pickup            Chevrolet Silverado
    Large Heavy-Duty Pickup            Chevrolet Silverado HD
    Compact Pickup                     Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Luxury Sport Utility               Lincoln Navigator
    Large Sport Utility                GMC Yukon XL
    Mid-Size Sport Utility             Toyota 4Runner
    Compact SUV/Off-Road Vehicle       Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Luxury Crossover SUV               Lincoln MKX
    Premium Mid-Size Crossover SUV     Ford Edge/Hyundai Santa Fe
    Mid-Size Crossover SUV             Honda CR-V
    Compact Crossover SUV              Hyundai Tucson
    Minivan                            Nissan Quest
AutoPacific cites Ford in strong showing.

by Paul A. Eisenstein (2007-06-10)

Problem-plagued Ford Motor Co. has gotten another critical endorsement, this one from the 2007 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards, an annual measure of quality and customer service.

The automaker's Lincoln luxury brand narrowly lost a four-way shoot-out, slipping into second, just behind Nissan's highline Infiniti brand, announced the market research firm, AutoPacific, Inc. Meanwhile, Lincoln 's new MKX crossover was named top-ranked truck, while the Ford division's new Edge crossover was best in its category.

Ford's strong showing underscored the findings of another recent quality report, the widely published Initial Quality Survey, from J.D. Power and Associates, where Lincoln shot to third place, while the sibling Mercury division ranked eighth, and the Ford division came in tenth.

But there were other, notable differences between Power's IQS and AutoPacific's VSA. For one thing, while General Motors' flagship Cadillac division plunged in Power's rankings, from seventh to 25th place, it tied Lincoln in the VSA. The big surprise was Infiniti's sudden climb up the quality ladder, according to the VSA, while it was only ninth in the IQS.

Both surveys agreed that Toyota 's own luxury division, Lexus, is no longer the absolute quality benchmark, slipping to second, according to Power, and fourth in the AutoPacific poll. But the gap between first and fourth was minimal, Infiniti scoring 679 points, Lexus 676. The industry average was 632.

Judging the differences

How can two owner polls show such sharp differences? It depends on how one measures the word, "quality." Power's better known study focuses on the number of complaints reported by a survey sample of 97,000 2007 model-year vehicle owners - what is often called a "Things-Gone-Wrong" survey. The VSA also looks for those "Things-Gone-Right," which reveal the ways in which manufacturers, like Ford or Infiniti, satisfy their owners.

"Often times, the most satisfying vehicle is the one with the most personality, not the one that is screwed together the best," noted George Peterson, president of AutoPacific, in an overview of the 2007 VSA.

Satisfaction can be improved, in fact, by the way a brand handle the repair of a defect. And that can provide a significant advantage in a study like this when a carmaker is introducing all-new vehicles. As the Power IQS underscored, all-new models tend to have more early quality problems than products that have been on the market for several years. But the VSA reveals that twelve of the most satisfying top 28 vehicles - which won or tied in 25 separate categories - are all new for 2007.

Of those, 13 top cars wear Big Three badges, with seven Asian and three European car segment winners. In the 15 truck categories, seven are Detroit nameplates, with eight Japanese and Korean makes. Notably, DaimlerChrysler took no best-in-category award, while GM and Ford tied with six class leaders each. Ford took four, Hyundai and Nissan three apiece, and Honda grabbed two.

Emphasizing the fact that the VSA rewards brands that aren't always the best in pure quality metrics, Land Rover landed in 15th place, just above industry average. The British marque has traditionally been at the bottom of Power's IQS, this year suffering about 50 percent more reported problems than the industry average. HUMMER, which took seventh in the VSA, and Volkswagen, which AutoPacific ranked 11th, also fared far more poorly in Power's Things-Gone-Wrong count.

As one might expect, luxury car owners tended to be most satisfied with their vehicles, the average vehicle in the Premium Luxury Car segment scoring 678 points. (The BMW 7-Series and Lexus LS tied for first.) But Large Sport Utility competitors scored nearly as high, an average 675 points. (The winner the GMC Yukon XL.)

At the bottom of the rung were Compact SUVs, at 593 points and Economy Cars, at 566.

The 2007 VSA comprises the results of 24,000 U.S. new vehicle owners, who were asked about their experience after roughly 60 to 90 days of ownership.
For details of the 2007 Vehicle Satisfaction Award Brand and Segment Rankings:: CLICK HERE

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-12-07 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-11-07, 11:48 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Altima is a "premium midsize car", and the Saturn Aura isn't?

I guess none of these useless (my opinion) surveys will come out without some/all of its data leaving people scratching their heads.
Old 06-11-07, 12:18 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Premium Luxury Car", "Aspirational Luxury Car", "Large Luxury Car"????? What stupid retarded categories...
Old 06-11-07, 12:20 PM
LexFather

I've seen better categories at the Hooters Olympic games...

Old 06-11-07, 12:27 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Ridiculous categories aside, the fact that Lexus slips to the 4th is quite alarming. Hopefully Lexus will work harder in improving this aspect which they've been known for.
Old 06-11-07, 12:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
"Premium Luxury Car", "Aspirational Luxury Car", "Large Luxury Car"????? What stupid retarded categories...
I think Aspirational means "Entry Level" lux . . . "large" means large but not premium brand . . .
Old 06-11-07, 12:31 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I think Aspirational means "Entry Level" lux . . . "large" means large but not premium brand . . .
Funny (and sad) how Caddilac DTS, supposedly the flagship of the most "premium" brand of GM, wins the large, not premium, category then.
Old 06-11-07, 12:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Ridiculous categories aside, the fact that Lexus slips to the 4th is quite alarming. Hopefully Lexus will work harder in improving this aspect which they've been known for.
Not really, since this survey ask questions on emotional appeal, personality, etc., so it's not a purely "quality" survey, I don't think Lexus was ever #1 in their past surveys ?

Not saying Lexus shouldn't try hard to keep their quality/reliability at the top of the industry though . . .
Old 06-11-07, 12:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Not really, since this survey ask questions on emotional appeal, personality, etc., so it's not a purely "quality" survey, I don't think Lexus was ever #1 in their past surveys ?

Not saying Lexus shouldn't try hard to keep their quality/reliability at the top of the industry though . . .
True...I was thinking more of their past winnings of the Customer Satisfaction Award by J. D. Power, which is more about dealership services than about vehicles themselves.
Old 06-11-07, 01:16 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

isnt this more important?

J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Initial Quality Study
June 6, 2007

Defects or design complaints after 3 months of ownership

Nameplate rankings

Brand Problems per 100 vehicles
Porsche 91
Lexus 94
Lincoln 100
Honda 108
Mercedes-Benz 111
Jaguar 112
Toyota 112
Mercury 113
Infiniti 117
Ford 120
Scion 123
Hyundai 125
Kia 125
Industry Average 125
Buick 127
Chevrolet 129
Volvo 129
Acura 130
GMC 131
Nissan 132
Saturn 132
BMW 133
Pontiac 133
Saab 133
Subaru 133
Cadillac 135
Audi 136
Chrysler 151
Suzuki 153
Mitsubishi 155
Dodge 156
Volkswagen 160
Jeep 161
Hummer 162
Mazda 163
Land Rover 170
Old 06-11-07, 01:56 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by foofighter
isnt this more important?

J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Initial Quality Study
June 6, 2007

Defects or design complaints after 3 months of ownership

Nameplate rankings

Porsche 91
Lexus 94
Lincoln 100
Honda 108
Mercedes-Benz 111
Jaguar 112
Toyota 112
Mercury 113
Infiniti 117
Ford 120
Scion 123
Hyundai 125
Kia 125
Industry Average 125
Buick 127
Chevrolet 129
Volvo 129
Acura 130
GMC 131
Nissan 132
Saturn 132
BMW 133
Pontiac 133
Saab 133
Subaru 133
Cadillac 135
Audi 136
Chrysler 151
Suzuki 153
Mitsubishi 155
Dodge 156
Volkswagen 160
Jeep 161
Hummer 162
Mazda 163
Land Rover 170
Obviously not for this particular survey. But on the other hand "satisfaction" is how an owner feels about the vehicle and ownership experience. I'd say that's as important as anything else. It appears that more Infiniti owners are satisfied in that way than there were last year while fewer Lexus owners are as saisfied as they were last year. The figures are still significant for each respective manufacturer... assuming that the whole survey was conducted properly.
Old 06-12-07, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The new ES, IMO, has been very disappointing. (see my review). I've posted and written extensively about this.....seems like my opinion is not alone either.
The 4th-place showing is significant for other reasons too. It is not just a reflection of Lexus slipping but of other competing manufacturers catching up. Audi has recently shown marked improvement in the quality of its vehicles and ownership satisfaction (the superb DSG transmission sure hasn't hurt). Mercedes, known the last 10 years or so for very poor reliability, is now finally starting to show some signs of improvement, especially with the new S-Class...though the company as a whole is still, overall, in last place in the latest Consumer Reports' reliability surveys.
Old 06-12-07, 07:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The new ES, IMO, has been very disappointing. (see my review). I've posted and written extensively about this.....seems like my opinion is not alone either.
The 4th-place showing is significant for other reasons too. It is not just a reflection of Lexus slipping but of other competing manufacturers catching up. Audi has recently shown marked improvement in the quality of its vehicles and ownership satisfaction (the superb DSG transmission sure hasn't hurt). Mercedes, known the last 10 years or so for very poor reliability, is now finally starting to show some signs of improvement, especially with the new S-Class...though the company as a whole is still, overall, in last place in the latest Consumer Reports' reliability surveys.
Where is your review of the ES350? I can't seem to fnd it. Thanks.
Old 06-12-07, 07:54 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter

Porsche 91
Lexus 94
Lincoln 100
Honda 108
Mercedes-Benz 111
Jaguar 112
Toyota 112
Mercury 113
Infiniti 117
Ford 120
Scion 123
Hyundai 125
Kia 125
Industry Average 125
Buick 127
Chevrolet 129
Volvo 129
Acura 130
GMC 131
Nissan 132
Saturn 132
BMW 133
Pontiac 133
Saab 133
Subaru 133
Cadillac 135
Audi 136
Chrysler 151
Suzuki 153
Mitsubishi 155
Dodge 156
Volkswagen 160
Jeep 161
Hummer 162
Mazda 163
Land Rover 170
did Mercedes-Benz pay JD power or something? B/c didnt CR find that Mercedes are the least reliable cars? and I never understood JD Power's survey because they only collect a sample of 100 vehicles. I'm not mathematician but is that enough??
Old 06-12-07, 08:02 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
did Mercedes-Benz pay JD power or something? B/c didnt CR find that Mercedes are the least reliable cars? and I never understood JD Power's survey because they only collect a sample of 100 vehicles. I'm not mathematician but is that enough??
I'm book-marking this post the next time a JD powers survey comes out showing Toyota/Lexus back on top.

Quick Reply: AutoPacific 2007 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards