Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

High mile lexus v.s low mile chrysler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 12:42 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mile lexus v.s low mile chrysler?

o.k. guys and gals,

Just wanted to get some honest opinions and maybe i am asking this in the wrong place since this is a lexus board but please give me the most open minded answers that you can, and dont say the gs just cuz you drive one.

O.k. my ? is would you rather have a Gs with 120k on the clock or have a chrysler with 30k on the clock. I know it may sound weird to most of you but american cars are good in the beginning but later on well you know.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Last edited by Lex11; 05-17-07 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-17-07, 12:57 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus GS and not because I drive one. At 120K miles, it is barely being broken in. It shouldnt have any problems as long as it has been maintenced.
Old 05-17-07, 01:10 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Lexus GS and not because I drive one. At 120K miles, it is barely being broken in. It shouldnt have any problems as long as it has been maintenced.
This is the answer you're going to get 99 times out of 100 on here because it is the absolute truth. Get the GS and don't look back (unless you're looking for the Chrysler)
Old 05-17-07, 01:20 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I dont really feel like the quality of American cars specifically Chrysler makes them worth owning or driving. Finding a good quality used Lexus that has been maintained isnt hard at all. The Lexus already has most of the depreciation occured and is still going to run for another 120K if maintained and not ridden hard.

The Chrysler, well, but 100K you'll be looking at a cheap car with problems almost for sure.
Old 05-17-07, 01:57 PM
Daynja
Pole Position

What year is the chrysler and what make(as if it matters, lol)? And what year is the gs?
Old 05-17-07, 01:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Which model Chrysler are you referring to? It all depends..The Crossfire is basically a reskinned Mercedes SLK (same powerplant and tranny).. Fun car to drive if you are looking for fun out of the box. Or, is it a Chrysler minivan?
Old 05-17-07, 02:05 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Thanks, alot
Old 05-17-07, 02:06 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
This is the answer you're going to get 99 times out of 100 on here because it is the absolute truth. Get the GS and don't look back (unless you're looking for the Chrysler)
Thanks, i appreciate it.
Old 05-17-07, 02:07 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by mole
I dont really feel like the quality of American cars specifically Chrysler makes them worth owning or driving. Finding a good quality used Lexus that has been maintained isnt hard at all. The Lexus already has most of the depreciation occured and is still going to run for another 120K if maintained and not ridden hard.

The Chrysler, well, but 100K you'll be looking at a cheap car with problems almost for sure.
cool, Thanks!
Old 05-17-07, 02:08 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Daynja
What year is the chrysler and what make(as if it matters, lol)? And what year is the gs?
Its a 05' Pacifica, and a 2000 Gs 300
Old 05-17-07, 02:09 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Which model Chrysler are you referring to? It all depends..The Crossfire is basically a reskinned Mercedes SLK (same powerplant and tranny).. Fun car to drive if you are looking for fun out of the box. Or, is it a Chrysler minivan?
Funny you said mini van... Its a Pacifica which is basically a sporty mini van .
Old 05-17-07, 02:35 PM
dmc_maine
Driver School Candidate

I bought my 99 gs400 18 months ago and have never regreted for a single second.
The Pacifica is an interestng car and there's a lot that different between the Pacifica and the GS. Here's how I see it:

GS Pro's - should be just about done with major depreciation and so the price should be good and the value should be solid. Reliability. A really classy, sporty ride.
GS Con's - can be expensive for routine maintence (but doesn't have to be), premum fuel costs more, insurance will be more expensive as well. Not as much room as the Pacifica.

Pacifica pro's - 2 years of depreciation should have brought the price down quite a bit. More room for people and stuff than the GS. Interior is fairly depending on which trim level you get. Probably has quite a few more benefits from the Chrysler/Mercedes merger than most other Chryslers.

Pacifica con's - no matter how much it has depreciated so far, it will still have plenty of depreciation left to do. I found that the interior is somewhat cramped and claustrophobic (it might BE roomy, but it doesn't FEEL roomy), poor visibility. Is big and heavy, not nearly as sporty as the GS. Reliability?

Edmunds link for reviews and owner opinions. If you've never used the Edmund's site for used car info before PM me and I'll show you how to dig deeper from the link for good info.

If you're looking to regularly haul plenty of people and stuff, the GS might not be the right car for you, but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GS. Be sure to verify if the 120k service has been done and also to see if the timing belt was done at 60k or 90k and negotiate the price accordingly.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 05-17-07, 02:39 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

I think what really matters is how long you plan to keep the vehicle. If it is a short period of time I would take the Pacifica, it is easier to sell a low mileage vehicle. If you are in it for the long haul go for the GS.
Old 05-17-07, 03:08 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Chrysler dont make sturdy cars, my mom had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it gave us problems from the start. We wasted a lot of money on that thing.
Old 05-17-07, 03:09 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I would say GS. The only reliable cars our family drove was a 92 honda accord a lincoln towncar running strong at 240k and my gs400. All other vehicles, which were domestic, gave us problem after problem. Like what GoFaSSter said, depends on how long you planning on keeping it. I have to admit though, the more time that passes, the more I realize the design of the GS is truely timelss.

Quick Reply: High mile lexus v.s low mile chrysler?