Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is It Now or Never for Audi ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 09:06 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Well, glad I could tickle your funny bone.
To expound more, their cars are a crap shoot. You might get one trouble free. More often than not you'll get one that will be a headache. After a few years, they are all headaches. I don't believe they have changed but I hope so.
Time to visit some Audi forums. Are there any?
audiworld and vwvortex
Old 05-09-07, 10:08 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

love how the thread has strayed anyhow

point 1 - i think audi just may have a good shot here, especially w. porsche influence. if audi can fix its reliability issues, then they should b in good standing

point 2 - on the reliability: friend of mine has a last gen A4, and (asside from the envoy i used to drive) i've never seen anyone use warrenty so much. the a4 was usually for stupid little things where as my envoy was because big things just stopped working or malfunctioned, but the point was, useage of warrenty ... i guess lets also note i just compaired audi to gm for frequency of dealership visits

but i have to say, i'm rooting for audi, partly because they own lambo at the moment
Old 05-09-07, 10:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Is this a MOD? LMAO (But that IS a good analogy )
Thanks. Yes I'm a mod in the photography forum. I still love Lexus but I don't own any right now.

Well, on that premise, Bit, would you buy a Chrysler or a Benz or a Ford automobile with zero reservation, since their 2007 cars could be a lot better than their 2005 cars, right?
I'd have no reservation on a Benz or a Ford - in fact, gee, I sold two Lexus and bought two Fords, how's that! And they've both been trouble free! One is 3 years old and the other 1 year old. A Chrysler - I'm not currently convinced they're better than in the past. They still seem very cheaply and shoddily made to me.

You must have lots of money if you have zero reservations about buying an Audi in 2007 given their history.
About lots of money, no, but I figure within warranty period there isn't extra cost associated with problems, only extra aggravation going to dealers. I'm not saying I want that aggravation for sure!

Yes, Lexus has their problems for sure, but at least we can buy Toyota parts and use Toyota labor to fix most things...and their reliability rating is pretty high.
You can use Toyota parts for some basic stuff like filters but not much else. Yes Toyota dealers can do work but not warranty work.

Perhaps our perspectives depend on how old a car we're willing to own. If I wanted to buy a 10 yr old or more car, it would most likely be a recognized highly reliable brand like Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. 10 year old BMWs and Mercedes are kind of know for suspension, electrical, and other expensive problems.

But I don't like owning cars older than 5 or 6 yrs and I always buy new. Just me.
Old 05-09-07, 10:54 PM
marek955i
Driver

Default Audi

Hey,

Just to put my two cents on the whole Audi subject.
I work for an Audi dealership as a service consultant and have seen my fair share of problems with them. I have a very good friend that works as a service consultant for Lexus dealer. In talking with him, seems like Lexus is having as many problems as Audi did. I am not trying to say any thing about Lexus, but they are just cars and they do have problems. As Audi has grown, the reliability has gotten better. Audi climbed to number four in reliability in 05, and number 6 in 06 where BMW and MB have dropped to 16 and 17 on the list. In 05 Audi won world car of the year for the A6. There fit and finish is unlike any other in the industry and they keep on getting better. If you compare the A4 to the new 3 series that looks like the new civic, your for sure getting more car for the money. I agree that Lexus has climbed very quickly to the top three due to good reliability, and good advertising. The next five years will show everyone where Audi stands in the car market. I do not want to start any Audi Lexus wars, like i said just putting my two cents in
Old 05-10-07, 07:54 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks. Yes I'm a mod in the photography forum. I still love Lexus but I don't own any right now.
Booooooooooooooo....

I'd have no reservation on a Benz or a Ford - in fact, gee, I sold two Lexus and bought two Fords, how's that! And they've both been trouble free! One is 3 years old and the other 1 year old. A Chrysler - I'm not currently convinced they're better than in the past. They still seem very cheaply and shoddily made to me.

About lots of money, no, but I figure within warranty period there isn't extra cost associated with problems, only extra aggravation going to dealers. I'm not saying I want that aggravation for sure!
So I guess you trade in your cars once the warranty is about to expire....OK.

You can use Toyota parts for some basic stuff like filters but not much else. Yes Toyota dealers can do work but not warranty work.
After the warranty period is up, a reputable Toyota mechanic can do most the work on our Lexuses. Most Lexus parts come out of Toyota boxes.

Perhaps our perspectives depend on how old a car we're willing to own. If I wanted to buy a 10 yr old or more car, it would most likely be a recognized highly reliable brand like Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. 10 year old BMWs and Mercedes are kind of know for suspension, electrical, and other expensive problems.

But I don't like owning cars older than 5 or 6 yrs and I always buy new. Just me.
I always buy used, but only 2-4 years old used. When looking at used vehicles soon going out of warranty, reliability is a key ingredient.

If I'm buying new, and trading them in every 4 years, then you're right, the reasoning changes.

So, Bit, what's your next car? It's about time you come on back around to Lexus, Mr. Ford.

Last edited by KevinGS; 05-10-07 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 07:58 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I dont know reliability or not like ReggieK is commenting on but it seems to be that the wealthier people in Miami drive MB, BMW, or Lexus...They all have many dealerships. You hardly ever see Audi on the road.

I believe it has to do marketing, when do you hear a celebrity say they drive an Audi, but all the time they are talking about their new 750, SL55/Sl65, LS600, etc. Lord knows most people are consciously or subconsciously wanting to follow the trends and be part of the "in" crowd.

Second, Audi doesnt offer any deals ever. They keep them high for an air of exclusivity or something. When Lexus first started off here they had high residuals and thus good lease terms. We were getting our GS300's for 525 a month plus tax with zero down for 39 months. RX300 for 400-450, LS400/LS430 for 700-800. Now the prices have gone up on everything a 100-200 but they have established their quality and created a brand presence. Ive been seeing Audi advertise here recently for the A4 for 299 zero down and the Q7 for 499 zero down. Is this a new pricing strategy? Is it a super super super stripped down model or is it one of the 1 available at this price loss leader ads thats just to draw you in and really the prices are way higher? BTW, BMW advertises like that in Miami.
Old 05-10-07, 08:22 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like audi alot I almost bought an 04 A4 styling was a little dull everything else was nice. Just improve your reliablility.
Old 05-10-07, 08:25 AM
Milla...

Weeellll so far so good for me. Not one single issue, wait the remote trunk release but that was a simple fix, other than that its all good seeing that I drive it the most.
Old 05-10-07, 08:31 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
I like audi alot I almost bought an 04 A4 styling was a little dull everything else was nice. Just improve your reliablility.
And I came close to buying an A6 when I bought my GS, but then I went to an Audi forum, did some dealer research, talked some friends who had owned 1 Audi each in the past...and that was that. Too many red flags to pull the trigger. This was in 2004. I hope they have gotten a lot better since...
Old 05-10-07, 02:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Weeellll so far so good for me. Not one single issue, wait the remote trunk release but that was a simple fix, other than that its all good seeing that I drive it the most.
Did you buy it new or pre-owned?
Old 05-10-07, 03:21 PM
LexFather

I love Audi, I started what became a 3 or 4 page thread on the brand. Here is what is the deal.
1. Awful lease rates. We clearly see BMW has some of the best rates in the industry. Audi's are awful.
2. Style. Yes, they are very good looking but even with the giant grill, they just don't stand out. Almost bland, even though IMO, they have great proportions. Benzs and BMWs are styled with more presence.
3. No clear direction. Who was running Audi the last few years? They had no idea for the brand. It wasn't until Pierch said "VW vs Benz, Audi vs BMW" did they have a clue. They then got more RS cars and the big grills. Still though, in most reviews, they fall midpack.
4. No clear AWD advantage anymore. Just look now, Benz, BMW, Lexus, Acura, Caddy, Infiniti, etc all over AWD. You no longer HAVE to get an Audi to get an AWD car.
5. Awful marketing. I've seen many 1 Audi ad in 10 years I remember. Their marketing in America is awful.
6. 60 minutes. Sorry but even though this was 20 years ago, it stuck with the brand. The competiton is very intense. I've said it myself, only space for 3 tier one brands in America. Benz, BMW, Lexus.
7. Reliability. Its okay but not great. You can read these forums and there have been Audi convertors.

Its amazing b/c Audis are actually the cheapest out of the 3 and in some cases cheaper than Lexus (MSRP). Their interior are constantly rated the tops or near tops with great styling. I can't say I've read a "poor" Audi review. I like the brand b/c it is rarer, I do like the styling, I think its a classy car.

Oh and I LOVE WVVortex. What a great forum.

Old 05-10-07, 05:25 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

I don't have any personal experience with Audi, but I have 3 acquaintances that do.

Person A bought his A6 Allroad with ~30K on the odo. Has ~45K now, no problems.
Person B wrecked his 5-series and got an A4 V6 AWD with 130K on the odo. Had it for ~3 years now (don't know the mileage) - no problems.
Person C has an A4 with 190K on the odo as a daily driver. He did have a problem with a computer chip, but he was able to fix it without buying a new one ($1K or so).
Old 05-11-07, 07:50 AM
Milla...

Did you buy it new or pre-owned?
Got it off the show room floor (Leased) I'm not brave enough to keep one of these past the warranty.
Old 05-11-07, 10:11 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Got it off the show room floor (Leased) I'm not brave enough to keep one of these past the warranty.
Two years and no problems?? Wow...that's great! Either you got that 1 out of 10 that is okay or it's a ticking time bomb. Good luck.
Old 05-11-07, 10:43 AM
Milla...

Two years and no problems?? Wow...that's great! Either you got that 1 out of 10 that is okay or it's a ticking time bomb. Good luck.

No major probs to date, and I drive it Mon-Fri five days a week in LA traffic so it gets driven. Ticking time bomb thats funny....well not really

Quick Reply: Is It Now or Never for Audi ?