Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you like to change to make Lexus dealers better?

Old 05-03-07, 03:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I had only one real complaint against my local Lexus dealer when I had my IS300. Lexus policy, when their cars are in for service, is to hand-wash each one afterwards. Well, I don't like others washing my car...I would rather do it myself. The dealer's General Manager would not allow it, even after I walked into his office and b**ched.......notwithstanding the fact that the Saturn dealer where I got my old SL2 had no problem with it (Saturn's policy, like Lexus, is also to hand-wash every car in for service).

Of course, I realize that my request, especially for a Lexus customer, was pretty unusual......most customers would rather let the guys in the wash bay do it, but I'm not impressed by the washing methods they use. Still, as far as I'm concerned, the Saturn people treated me better than the Lexus people did. And the Saturn service shop didn't need appointments, either, unlike the Lexus shop. The Saturn SL-2 I owned was very difficult to change the oil on...you had to put it on a lift, so I couldn't do it myself at home like I often do.

I would also like to see, at Lexus dealerships, a no-haggle, discounted Internet price on each car that includes everything but tax and tags. The Fitzgerald Auto Mall chains in the local D.C. area operate like this.....it is an excellent policy, IMO, and really makes car-buying much simpler, with fewer hassles (Unfortunately, they don't have a Lexus franchise....yet). For instance, when I bought my 2001 IS300, I negotiated for hours trying to find exactly the car, options, and price I wanted.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-07 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 05:29 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to the sales people to be more willing to do a custom order with all the options you want and non that you do not, more like BMW. And not to have to wait 6 months for it to arrive with no sales discounts! Also, being able to rent a lexus for a weekend trip would be nice, you get a chance to experience a different Lexus than what you drive. Much better than a basic typical rental car! When my wife and I rent cars we cannot wait to get back into ours, it really makes you appreciate what you have!
Old 05-03-07, 05:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I think a lot of these depend on 'how good' your local dealer already is.... mine for example already has a special area for new owners to take possesion of their car.

1) For customers that do not want their car washed (I don't) have pre-printed signs with a rope that can be hung from the car mirror that say "Customer does not want car washed"... Both my GS and LS have 'accidently' gone through the wash. Get some pre-printed signs made for each service advisor to hang rather than just

2) Better education for service folks on how to handle aftermarket parts - specifically aftermarket wheels. I read time after time about how a dealer scuffed this or scratched that. Wheels are a more and more common modification and dealers should be able to handle them with appropriate care and service a car with them on. Get specific training for the service team rather than turning away business. It'll help OEM-shod cars as well as factory wheels get larger and more expensive (19" on LS460 for example)

3) "E-quip" service advisors. My old service advisor (now gone) used to check his email 10 times a day and get back to me with answers, updates, etc. I prefer email vs having to call or get a call - less invasive to my schedule. Make sure service advisors frequently check email and offer that to their customers as a communication method.
Old 05-03-07, 08:35 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The too-obvious lack of attention to customers who are young and or underdressed is definitely a turn off. Shoes and watch are not the only things that should be watched to determine a potential customer.

Also, back in Japan, "service" is something free, a courtesy, a show of kind gesture. Like setting the radio to the previous car, sending thank you mail (NOT email) when they visit, or something like remembering names were something I remember when my father bought his car.

I really could care less for leather seats or big flat screen TVs. Just don't forget about the customers; they are sometimes worried sick when they put their car into the service bay, or havent slept the last night b/c he or she couldnt decide if they wanted the red/tan or white/black IS350.

just my 2cents.
Old 05-03-07, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I forgot a BIG one ...........be like Longo Lexus out in CA and have all the cars in stock (or as many as possible) inside a large building, under cover.

And most car dealerships, Lexus or otherwise, especially in this overcrowded area, NEVER have enough customer parking.
Old 05-03-07, 10:48 AM
LexFather

Make sure they continue to hire "people" people. I just went to Nalley Lexus Saturday and Monday b/c I was in the area (needed some plastic clips) and trolls and gremlins are more friendly. Lexus is expanding a lot and I hope they continue to look for people that have the Lexus covenant in mind and not just people looking for a good job.

Continued focus on the "service" aspect, Lexus cannot get cocky or arrogant and nor can its people. My mother raves about Hennessy Lexus for example and she knows nothing about cars. She can't tell the sound of a V-8 to a lawnmower engine. However, she always raves of the treatment she gets.

Dealership parties, not just for debut cars, but "appreciation" gestures and maybe a "get to know your dealership" experience where you can meet everyone there.

Bikini contests. Nuff said!!! lol

Old 05-03-07, 10:51 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by osokuko
I think something very special for the car buying customer at the conclusion of the sale. Nothing would be more spectacular than to have your new Lexus on display ready for your first drive off. ..........
I do like the idea of a "delivery suite" of sorts but maybe without the lights, etc. Picking up your car for the first time can be a stressful situation, contract closures, covering the extras they want to sell you, getting the tags, etc. I never liked the situation where you're sitting at a little table on show room floor or when they shuffle you around to various offices at the dealers. A separate area where your car is and a table where the dealer personnel can come to you away from the floor would be less pressure. Also, here in the Northwest, you can never be sure of the weather so having your car outside the door in the rain is not conducive to closing the final bits and having the salesperson hand over your keys and explain some of the details you may not have covered before.

When I picked up our Mercedes SLK32 the dealer did have a separate enclosed room where the car was. When we did the final inspection, went over the details again with the salesperson, got the seats adjusted, etc. we weren't in the weather and didn't feel rushed to get the car out of there.
Old 05-03-07, 12:34 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bikini contests. Nuff said!!! lol
I just left Hennessy this morning and would really like to see their service cashier in a bikini.
Old 05-03-07, 12:54 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
2) Better education for service folks on how to handle aftermarket parts - specifically aftermarket wheels. I read time after time about how a dealer scuffed this or scratched that. Wheels are a more and more common modification and dealers should be able to handle them with appropriate care and service a car with them on. Get specific training for the service team rather than turning away business. It'll help OEM-shod cars as well as factory wheels get larger and more expensive (19" on LS460 for example)
I couldn't agree more with this comment from Dave.

My local Lexus dealer and a second one not too far away absolutely refuse to touch my car for even the simplest things like an oil change simply because they claim it is too low and the lip might get scratched when the car is put on their hoist. This is total BS as the lip of my car on the front bumper is a good 4 inches from the ground, so I don't see how it can get damaged if they put the car on the hoist. Lexus won't be getting this business.

Needless to say, they lose business like that and it can amount to a fair bit. My car needs a timing belt change, and guess what? I have to find a shop that works on these cars and is willing to put it on their hoist.

I typically don't wait to get work done, so all the amenities for customers waiting is not really relevant to me.
Old 05-03-07, 12:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer is great in almost every way. The one area that really pisses me off about them is how full of themselves they are when it comes to selling a car. You can hardly even get the words out to ask about a discount and they'll damn near ridicule you.

Pretty much like "What??? We're lexus. don't you know our cars are the only cars you should ever buy and you have to pay exactly what's on the sticker?

They have this attitude because they're the only Lexus dealer within 200+ miles radius of here. But with that kind of attitude I won't hesitate to buy from that other dealer and bring the car back here.
Old 05-03-07, 01:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The service dept of my nearest lexus dealer here in NYC(Lexus of Rockville Center) is great! No problems working on my car which is lowered, heck they did a perfect alignment on my car The sales dept. need some work imo. I was cross shopping for a new cute ute, and was interested in a Rx350 I wanted at least 4k off msrp & they would not budge even though I am a loyal Lexus owner, who was looking for a 3rd, who purchased 97 Es300 & 98 Gs400 both from Bayridge Lexus in Brooklyn. Little room for negotation in price, and it seems as if they were all about the bottom line.. profit profit profit. Change that perception. Did not encounter that problem with BMW of Bayside.
Old 05-03-07, 02:29 PM
LexFather

Avoid crap like this. Showing a customer park assist, letting them PAY for park assist, then buying a $2 e-bay kit and calling it park assist and putting black nimples on a white car to a NEW owner.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=1#post2596764

Old 05-03-07, 08:10 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer Lexus of Richmond has serviced my first IS300 off and on since I bought it in Nov of 04 and I never had a complaint with there service. When I totaled that car and bought another last month i bought from Lexus of Richmind sales person was great dealer personnel remembered my name car was delivered to me outside but was under a canopy. Got two free Lexus keychains a Lexus CD case and a Lexus mug plus a set of liscence plate brakets. Very impressed will only buy from this dealer from now on.
Old 05-03-07, 08:57 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^sounds good. It sounds dumb but alot of small things make you feel important.
Old 05-04-07, 02:02 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And most car dealerships, Lexus or otherwise, especially in this overcrowded area, NEVER have enough customer parking.
This one I agree. Our Lexus dealership has about 5-6 stalls available. Other than that you have to find parking on the street.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you like to change to make Lexus dealers better?