Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Corvette LS3 Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 07:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 2008 Corvette LS3 Revealed

Just because the new Corvette LS3's not expected to be unveiled until Saturday, doesn't mean you don't deserve to see it early. Luckily some shots have already snuck out of Bowling Green of what looks to be the new engine for the 2008 big bad-*** from the bargain brand at the General. A poster over at DigitalCorvettes did the dirty work to show us the rumored 430 hp engine that we've heard will be the new standard for the '08 Corvette. It's no "Corvette SS," but whatevs. Anyway, we'll just let you look at the new n' pretty five-spoke wheels and the big side-bolstered red leather seats, and we'll try to get you more as soon as we get it into our sweaty paws
via jalopnik

More pics : CLICK HERE
Old 04-25-07, 08:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

30+ mpg will be nice. I mean the Vette has already been capable of that in manual transmission flavor since 97, but I guess this just makes it even better.

It'll be cool to see displacement on demand on the Vette because unlike the GM SUVs that 'try' to use it, the Vette will actually be able to run steadily on 4 cylinders on the highway without constantly switching back to 8 every time the gas pedal is even lightly tapped.

I'm actually talking to Kerbeck Corvette about custom ordering an 08 for October to replace my Audi - will pick it up in Bowling Green and the Corvette Factory/Museum.

Logic dictates with high flowing L92 heads, an extra .2 liters displacement, and variable valve timing, if this thing 'only' gains 30 horsepower then they must have added quite a bit of power 'under' the curve to make it more responsive off the line and cruising around town.
Old 04-25-07, 08:22 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not going to get even close to 30mpg. I've had my 06 for a month now and I think I've gotten over 13 mpg one time. Granted, I don't do that much highway driving but 13mpg is a far cry from 30. You'll see very high instant mpg figures on the instrument panel if you're cruising along in 6th gear on the highway, but the instant you downshift or tap that gas pedal your mpg is going to plummet greatly.

I didn't buy the Vette for mpg so I don't really care, but 30mpg happens under very rare circumstances. Maybe the displacement on demand will make things better
Old 04-25-07, 08:31 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetopdog
You're not going to get even close to 30mpg. I've had my 06 for a month now and I think I've gotten over 13 mpg one time. Granted, I don't do that much highway driving but 13mpg is a far cry from 30. You'll see very high instant mpg figures on the instrument panel if you're cruising along in 6th gear on the highway, but the instant you downshift or tap that gas pedal your mpg is going to plummet greatly.

I didn't buy the Vette for mpg so I don't really care, but 30mpg happens under very rare circumstances. Maybe the displacement on demand will make things better
I know that it's possible because I've been in a C5 manual trans and witnessed it with my own 2 eyes get 31mpg on a road trip - and that was doing it the right way with trip mileage and # of gallons between fill ups.

There are also countless C5 and C6 owners reporting the same results. The auto guys are getting more like very high 20s on the highway, though. I'm betting with DoD the auto guys will be able to finally touch 30 and the manual guys will jump a couple more mpg.

If you're only getting 13mpg around town you either have a very heavy foot that's always on the gas or the brakes, or else there's something wrong with your Vette. Take it on the highway and fillup before you start and when you end, even if it's only a 100 mile trip that you need to make - see what you get, and try to use cruise as much as possible. If you have a manual I'll be shocked if you don't get 30mpg.
Old 04-25-07, 08:49 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
I know that it's possible because I've been in a C5 manual trans and witnessed it with my own 2 eyes get 31mpg on a road trip - and that was doing it the right way with trip mileage and # of gallons between fill ups.

There are also countless C5 and C6 owners reporting the same results. The auto guys are getting more like very high 20s on the highway, though. I'm betting with DoD the auto guys will be able to finally touch 30 and the manual guys will jump a couple more mpg.

If you're only getting 13mpg around town you either have a very heavy foot that's always on the gas or the brakes, or else there's something wrong with your Vette. Take it on the highway and fillup before you start and when you end, even if it's only a 100 mile trip that you need to make - see what you get, and try to use cruise as much as possible. If you have a manual I'll be shocked if you don't get 30mpg.
My last post may have been misleading. I'm not saying it's not possible to get 30mpg, but that you need to be out on the highway with little traffic around you. Most of the guys on the Corvette forum are older and drive the cars very gently. I do have a fairly heavy right foot , but it's not like I'm racing the thing everywhere I go.

The main problem is that the majority of my driving is within the city. Even when I'm on the highway, it's always busy. That's just how it is in Boston (probably the worst city for cars in the entire country). Trying to cruise as much as possible sounds great until you realize that the roads (both in layout, and actual road surfaces), and drivers in this city are terrible. There really isn't much opportunity to just cruise in 6th

I have a manual, but I doubt I'll be making a 100 mile trip for a while. There's just nowhere to go in or around this city. I think I'm just bitter about having this wonderful car and having to drive it in Boston

I'm actually taking a ~25 mile drive to the dealership in a few minutes. If traffic's not too bad, and I have the discipline, I'll see what kind of mileage i can get on the 50 mile (90% highway) round trip. Then again I'm probably just as likely to try to make the 25 mile drive in 15 minutes and end up with an average mpg in the single digits
Old 04-25-07, 10:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Expect EPA figures for the 2008 Corvette go down noticeably.
Old 04-25-07, 11:03 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Expect EPA figures for the 2008 Corvette go down noticeably.
More noticeably than other vehicles?
Reason?

If anything I'd expect that the highway numbers at the very least would be at an advantage relative to other vehicles since this car is very aerodynamic and therefore the new EPA highway measurements at increased cruising speed would affect the Vette less.

Besides... that won't change real world mileage, which is excellent on the Vette, especially considering the type of car it is and amount of power it has.

The cars that are going to suffer more than any from this are going to be the hybrids. Especially the Prius that seems almost impossible to match its current EPA rating, much less manage to exceed it as can be done in most non-hybrid vehicles.
Old 04-25-07, 11:29 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Reason?

If anything I'd expect that the highway numbers at the very least would be at an advantage relative to other vehicles since this car is very aerodynamic and therefore the new EPA highway measurements at increased cruising speed would affect the Vette less.

Besides... that won't change real world mileage, which is excellent on the Vette, especially considering the type of car it is and amount of power it has.

The cars that are going to suffer more than any from this are going to be the hybrids. Especially the Prius that seems almost impossible to match its current EPA rating, much less manage to exceed it as can be done in most non-hybrid vehicles.
Huh? I didn't say more than other vehicles .

The reason for the Vette's great fuel economy numbers is a combination of tall gearing and very low curb weight.

Vette gets great economy typically at low RPM cruising.
Old 04-25-07, 11:35 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Huh? I didn't say more than other vehicles .

The reason for the Vette's great fuel economy numbers is a combination of tall gearing and very low curb weight.

Vette gets great economy typically at low RPM cruising.
The way you worded your statement just seemed to suggest to expect some sort of surprising or unrealized drop in EPA ratings for the Vette. So I was wondering if you were saying it would experience any more of a drop than any other vehicle would? With DoD new for 08 I will actually be surprised if the highway economy numbers drop much, if at all.

Highway economy is moreso due to sleek aerodynamics - curb weight makes very little impact on highway economy numbers, though gearing can depending on the nature of the engine.
Old 04-25-07, 12:45 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Reason?
Here's some real world mileage for you:

During the ~20 mile trip to the dealership, I averaged 29.2mpg. I left it in 6th and drove like an old man, accelerating and decelerating only when absolutely necessary. I probably averaged about 70mph the whole trip

When I got of the highway, I had about a 10 minute drive through the city to get to the dealership and my overall mileage dropped from 29.2mpg to 27.2mpg. On the return trip I decided to drive normally and when I got back to the office the total mpg for the journey was ~22mpg.

That's not bad, but you can see how even a little time spent in the city can really bring down those mpg numbers. You were right though, if you drive it very carefully on the highway, it's possible to see 30mpg
Old 04-25-07, 01:30 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Hell yeah
Old 04-25-07, 10:31 PM
LexFather

Exclamation New Vette with the LS3 engine

here it is, leaked before Official Saturday unveiling..
430 hp.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0...tucky/

The official unveiling is apparently set for this Saturday, April 28 at the C5/C6 Bash at the National Corvette Museum in BowlingGreen, but thanks to a poster at Digital Corvettes, you can get sneak preview of the 2008 Corvette and its LS3 V8 right now. The new mill is expected to pump out 430 horsepower, and the '08 Vette will also sport new 5-spoke wheels and interior tweaks, among other things. We'll have to wait until the weekend for the full dog & pony show to go down, but one thing's certain: the presence of 430 standard horsepower will only further cement the Corvette's standing as an unbelievable performance value. Production of the LS3-powered Vettes is scheduled to start this week.

Old 04-28-07, 07:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default 2008 Corvette C6 LS3 Revealed . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-28-07 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-28-07, 07:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The spy shots last week told us what to expect and now GM has unveiled the 2008 Corvette, fitted with a new 6.2L LS3 V8 engine developing 430hp and 575 Nm of torque. Other changes include the option of a new dual-mode exhaust system, improved manual and automatic transmissions, better steering feel, upgraded interior, and even two new exterior colors.

The manual transmission shifting improvements include a more positive and direct feel during gear changes, with better gate-to-gate location. The six-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission on Coupe and Convertible is improved with new hardware and a new controller calibration that deliver quicker shifts.

Corvette Coupe and Convertible models come with a new split-spoke wheel design for ’08, which was first introduced on the limited-edition ’07 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car replicas.

Sadly, the Z06 remains at 505hp and it looks like we’ll need to wait till the next-gen Corvette to get a major performance upgrade for the top-of-the-line model.
via motorauthority

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-28-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-28-07, 07:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so this engine replaces the base C6 engine?

Quick Reply: 2008 Corvette LS3 Revealed