Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4X4

http://www.dodge.com/en/nitro/

In a Nutshell: Don't fall for the Dodge "Ram-Tough" ads.......there are better ways to spend your automotive dollars.

This review of the new Dodge Nitro was requested, not from CL, but from a close friend of mine who moved away some years ago, (Joanne) who recently survived a rollover of her old Jeep Cherokee but received a broken arm from it. We all know how prone many SUV's are to rollovers, but she was forced off the D.C Beltway, a notorious road for aggressive driving, by another driver, who admitted fault. She lost control, the Cherokee flipped, and she was pinned in it until the Fire and Rescue people got her out (thank God it didn't catch fire...most fuel-injected vehicles have automatic fuel cut-off switches in an accident). Though she was trapped in it for awhile, and suffered a broken arm, she is convinced that, along with God, of course, the Cherokee's structure, though deformed, saved her life. I won't comment on the Cherokee part, as I was not there to physically see the wreck for myself. The Cherokee, of course, unlike many car-based "crossover" SUV's, is purposely-designed for tough off-roading, so, of course, it has to have a structure stout enough to crawl over rocks and across creek beds without bending and twisting like a piece of overcooked spaghetti. Joanne, of course, though she lives in a semi-rural area, did not use her Jeep for off-roading, (few people do nowadays) but more typically for basic transportation, grocery shopping, and, of course, bad-weather mobility. Her broken arm is coming along OK (God is not
limited to just saving lives) and, as of course the Cherokee was totalled, she has been running around in a temporary used Jeep, but it is now time for some new wheels once again. So, after a number of long-distance phone discussions with me, she has looked at some new Jeeps herself. I recommended, first, the superb Jeep Commander, which I reviewed last year. I liked most of the things about it except for the typical Chrysler-Jeep cheapness of hardware and trim, and it has a big structure to protect you in a crash. She felt it was too big and clumsy for her needs...and, of course, it is not cheap, even in V6 vs. V8 trim. The Wrangler, of course, is too small and crude, even in the newer 4-door form, rides too stiffly, and is toomuch of a pure of-roader for her needs. She seems to be undecided on the Liberty...likes some things, doesn't like others. The Jeep Compass is too small,
too poorly-built, and is really just a compact Dodge Caliber, not as Jeep (see my Compass review). She has not seen the new Jeep Patriot yet, and I have not reviewed it. She WAS, interested, however, in the Dodge Nitro when I told her it was built on the same platform as the Liberty, and could be expected to have much of the same use and driving characteristics, and she requested a specific Nitro review....the lower-cost version. So, I chose a base V6 SXT model with 4-Wheel-Drive (actually the only one the dealer had in stock) for the review, though, in all honesty, I would rather see her in a vehicle like a Toyota RAV4/Highlander, Honda CRV/Pilot, Hyundai Tucson/Santa Fe, or of course, a Subaru Forester/Outback....all of which I feel are better-quality thana Jeep. But, after having had two relatively reliable Cherokees and putting a lot of miles, on them, and convinced that one of them helped save her life, getting her out of another Jeep or Jeep product will be a tough sell. So, for her, it was time to go look at a Nitro and evaluate it. I am posting it in CL for you guys, of course, just like I do most of my reviews....some of you guys may be interested in it as well.

Dodge, with Daimler-Chrysler approval, of course, introduced the Nitro this year, in response to complaints from its dealerships that they did not have anything to sell in the highly popular small-to-mid-sized SUV category, having nothing in the SUV line but the larger and more trucklike Durango, which in fact is built off of the Dakota pickup (Dodge, inexplicatively, has not, as yet, done an SUV version of the full-size Ram to compete with the Chevy Tahoe/Suburban and Ford Expedition). The basic platform of the Nitro (and you can tell it in some of the styling) was taken off of the Jeep liberty, as I mentioned above. The two vehicles share a number of features (unfortunately, one of them is the same cheap Chrysler trim/hardware). The Nitro, while having a limited amount of off-road capability, is not quite as hard-core off-road as the Liberty, which is purposely-designed as an off-road Jeep, but even the Liberty is not quite as hard-core of-road as the Cherokee that it replaced...the Liberty, unlike the Cherokee, has an independent front suspension instead of a live axle, and was never totally accepted by Jeep purists.

The Nitro, of course, shares the more civilized independent front-suspension design of the Liberty, but has rather strange suspension dynamics and tuning
.....more on that later. While I'm not a believer in so-called automotive "image" myself, the Nitro's styling is obviously geared toward young males, with its bulging "Macho" front fenders, sporty Dodge cross-haired "Ram" grille, (body-color or chrome depending on trim version) and the excess-chrome, strip-cruising, "pimp-em-out" packages available from the factory. Three official trim versions are offered, the SXT, SLT, and, like most Dodge products, an R/T. However, a rather large number of customizing accessories and trim options are avalilable, more or less like on Scions, for those who are not satisfied with the standard versions. Two V6 engines are offered, in 3.7L and 4.0L SOHC versions (I found the base engine's power level fine......more on that later). A choice of rear-wheel drive or 2WD/4WD is offered, with the 4WD version, unlike the standard 4WD Command Trac on the Cherokee, being a full-time 4WD that, like AWD (All-Wheel-Drive), can be used on any surface, anytime.....you don't have to switch it on and off, although an electric dash switch is provided for that purpose if you don't need the all-wheel traction. In addition, the Nitro has some clever features in its cargo area.....
again, more on that later.

OK, enough of the generalities. For Joanne.....and you guys......let's look at the Nitro SXT in detail:

Model Reviewed : 2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4X4

Base Price: $21,770

Major Options: Electric Blue Pearl paint $225

4-Speed Automatic Transmission $825

Trailer Tow Group $670

Freight $660

Price as Reviewed: $24,150

Exterior Color: Electric Blue Pearl with Gray lower cladding.
Interior: Two-tone Light Everest II/Dark Wallace II (in plain English, light gray/black cloth)

Drivetrain: 3.7L SOHC longitudinally-mounted V6, 210 HP @ 5200 RPM, 235 ft-lbs. of torque @ 4000 RPM, 4-speed automatic
transmission, RWD/AWD systems with Shift-on-the-Fly dash selector switch.

PLUSSES:

Shoe-box styling gives relatively good space efficiency.

Decent power from base V6, even with automatic, A/C, and AWD.

Good anti-roll characteristics.

Clever Load-and Go system with adjustable cargo floor.

ABS, Stability Control, and Electronic Roll Mitigation standard even on base model.

3 nice exterior paint colors that will keep you awake.

Smooth-shifting automatic transmission (but no manual-shift mode)

Seamless On-the-Fly 2WD/AWD selection.

Good ground clearance for snow and mild off-roading.

Gray vinyl cladding (on non-monotone models) protects most of the lower body from damage.

Room inside for all but the largest adults.

Easy entrance/exit.

Relatively comfortable cloth seats but little lateral support.

Well-designed, easy-to-read gauges.

Many different add-on and electronic options available for convience, versatility, and flashiness.

MINUSES:

Insultingly cheap dash and door trim on base SXT models.

Typical Chrysler/Dodge shoddiness and cheapness of hardware and general trim.

Sponge-O-Matic brakes.

The 3 nicest paint colors mentioned above cost extra.....from $150 to $225.

Weird, unusual suspension tuning mixes stiffness and sponginess.

OK stereo but no Mark Levinson.

Slow steering response.

Overly-Macho front fenders bulge out too much.

Noisy engine and exhaust.

Flimsy-feeling sheet metal.

No locking gas cap.

Substandard paint job even with the extra-cost colors.

Driveline vibrations on my sample vehicle.

Similiar, previous, vehicles from Dodge and Jeep have a general history of unreliability.

Well, I've already covered some of the Nitro's first impressions as you walk up to it, but I'll continue here. The general exterior styling, likethe Jeep Commander, Patriot, Honda Element, Scion xB, and the old Cherokee, is shoe-box square, though like on the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300, the roofline is a little lower, in realition to the windows and beltline, than on some of its competitiors. Chrysler stylists seem to like the idea of low, "chopped" windows, although on the Nitro, the roofline is still fairly tall and does not seriously compromise visibility like on the 300 and Magnum. That square roofline helps interior room, as we'll see in a minute. The front fenders, as mentioned above, bulge WAY out; the rear ones less so; an obvious sop to Macho styling....the marketers seem to be pushing this vehicle towards young men. The exterior sheet-metal and hardware/trim quality is about average for Chrysler products...cheap and rather flimsy. The exterior paint job, again, like many Chrysler products, has more orange-peel texture than a Florida citrus grove. However, to its credit, Dodge, at least, unlike some other vehicle manufacturers, actually included some paint colors that wake you up instead of put you to sleep. The Electric Blue Pearl, Inferno Red Crystal Pearl, and Sunburst Orange Pearl. It's nice to see colors like this.....too may vehicles are painted like funeral hearses, and I get tired of it. The Inferno Red is beautiful, and is quite similiar to the gorgeous Lexus Matador Red that we have discussed here at CL. For some reason, it doesn't have as much orange peel as the other colors do either. But, you pay for the priviledge of having a standout color...the Inferno Red (like on other Chrysler products it is offered on), Electric Blue, and Sunburst Orange all cost extra. The other, standard colors are....well, you got it.....military/funeral home stuff.

Being an SUV designed for mud and snow, there is, of course, good ground clearance underneath...both for mild off-roading (remember, this is not a hard-core boonie-mobile), snow, and, of course, for getting a hose underneath for cleaning. On lower-priced versions, such the SXT I drove, a wide belt of typically Chrysler/Dodge-cheap vinyl gray cladding encircles the lower part of the vehicle....while it is cheap-looking, it is a good idea and helps keep lower-body-paint from damage from rocks, stones, salt, abrasives, road debris, etc... Monotone-paint Nitro models, of course, do not have the matte-gray cladding, and have to be driven more carefully, on better surfaces, to prevent lower-body paint damage.

Another concession to "sport" styling on the outside is the big lower front-air dam under the also-big, bulging front bumper. In fact, the whole front end of the vehicle has a bulging look sticking out from the basically-square styling. Not my cup of tea, but some people, of course, prefer coffee.....in this instance, strongly caffienated coffee.....to simple tea. The air dam, however, does not seem to have impacted approach angles for rough terrain too badly, though, of course, it would be more versatile without it.

The hood sits up rather high, mostly due to the chunky-look up front and the big, rectangular Dodge cross-hair grille, and does not have struts to hold it up.....you stick a plastic-tipped metal prop-rod into its hole. Inside, the 3.7L SOHC V6 fits pretty well. though the oil dipstick is a rather far reach back for short people, and the accessory drive belts are mostly hidden up front under the radiator housing....they may not be easy to change for a traditional north-south longitudonal engine mount, which is usually easier than with an east-west transverse-mount.

Open the doors and get in, and the conditions inside are mixed. The actual entrance and exit, despite the higher-than-normal center of gravity common to most SUV's, is fairly easy. Running boards are offered as an option, but IMO, are not necessary, except maybe for small children or the very shortest of adults. Once inside, you shut the door with the typical Chrysler/Dodge tinny "Twack" sound and are welcomed (in the SXT version I had) by acres of flat/matte-black bargain-basement plastic trim all over the doors, dash, and rear cargo area.....and equally cheap-looking painted-silver plastic on the upper console. The off-white (ivory) trim, though, on the headliner and the inside of the windshield A-Pillars, the two-tone cloth seats, and the fairly nice, chrome-ringed climate-control ***** kept the interior from looking too much like a coal mine. On more expensive Nitros, of course, several different interior packages and trim options are available to spruce things up a little, such as body-color inserts for the console.

The seats are fairly comfortable (I liked the cloth upholstery and am generally not a fan of leather) but, for a person of my rather large and portly dimensions, are a little lacking in side support, and I could feel a small ridge pressing unto my uppper back. Not really uncomfortable...just noticeable. Of course, on the base version, you adjust them manually. Due to the vehicle's squared-off body styling, there is adequate headroom and legroom, both front and back, for all but the largest adults...I had no problem with my 6'2" 280-lb. frame and ubiquitous baseball cap, though front-seat room, like in most vehicles, was somewhat bettr than rear-seat room. The slightly chopped roofline that I mentioned earlier impacts headroom only slightly...like I said, I had no problems.

Up ahead of you, the gauges, like most Chrysler products, are clear, well-designed, and easy-to-read. As is becoming more and more a styling trend these days, they sit inside three circular tunnels built into the dash, but stil no problems reading them (and the tunnel design, of course, helps keep intense sunlight from fading them out and making them unreadable...a problem in some vehicles). The non-NAV version I drove had nice, well-designed rotary climate control *****, with chrome rings, that were easy-to-use and had a nice feel (just about the only interior hardware that DID).
The stereo was OK, had easy-to-use buttons and *****, but was certainly not up to Lexus Mark Levinson standards. However, considering that many of the young men who will buy this vehicle will likely toss out the factory unit and put in their own stereo and speakers, that is probably a matter of only minor importance. The steering-wheel stalks are clearly labelled but feel like they are going to break off right in your hands as you use them.

There are some clever and interesting designs in the cargo area in back...more and more SUV manufactuerrs are paying attention to that these days. A cargo tray cover partially slides out for loading big, heavy things without having to strain and lift them inside too far, over the big, chunky, rear bumpers, and the cover can be popped out completely. Underneath is a multi-cubbyhole tray that can also be taken out to reach the spare tire and tools under it. Unfortunately, it was a good idea but again, you have the same old cheap Chrysler hardware.....the snaps and locks are quite flimsy. The rear cargo-gate lifts up, vertically, in one piece, and is hinged at the top, as in most domestically-designed SUV's.

OK...time to drive. Start it up with the old-fashioned key.... Dodge does not, as yet, use start buttons except on the Viper, a racing-class vehicle. The engine is rather noisy and does not have a particularly smooth idle.....but perhaps I am just spoiled by the expensive luxury cars I have driven lately....like the Lexus LS460, GS300, BMW 550 and X5. Let the oil pressure come up, adjust seats, mirrors,and belts, slide the transmission lever back into Drive, and go. Curiously, this admittedly "Sport" vehicle does not have the SportShift Autostick feature of other Dodge/Chrysler products.

The transmission itself, however, is quite smooth-shifting and quiet. Not so with the engine....you can hear the engine revs and exhaust quite audibly.
The power level, though, for the 3.7L V6 is not bad at all.....you have what is IMO, adequate power for just about everything you need for normal driving, even with the burden of the automatic (a 6-speed manual transmission is standard on the SXT), 4WD, and the air conditioning running. It is no dragster, of course, but it will get out of its own way....and will probably be better yet with a broken-in engine (my test car, as usual, was brand-new). Also, as typical, I did not test it off-road or fully loaded (there are few places in the DC area to test off-roading), but given the engine's rather good powerlevel unloaded on dry pavement, I don't see any problems under those conditions either.

The noise level, outside of the engine and exhuast wasn't bad, though of course it wasn't Lexus-quiet. The body and chassis seem to be reasonably well-sealed off from road, wind, and tire noise. There was a noticeable defect in the front drivetrain, however (probably in the driveshafts) that spoiled the ride more or less continuously at speeds of about 25 MPH and up. I don't know if it as a sample defect in my test car (the dealership did not have any other 3.7L automatic 4WD models in stock to cross-check with) or if it was a design fault. It did not feel like wheel balance or an out-of-round tire,which ususally shows up in a steering-wheel shimmy....this was a slight (not bad) vibration/shimmy in the front-end itself, or the drivetrain. So, to anyone considering this vehicle, be sure to check for this on the test-drive.

The brakes, like those on many domestically-designed SUV's (the large GM SUV's are the worst) were spongy and unresponsive. One key to this may be in the brake calipers themselves. Of course, you cannot judge a metal's durability just by looking at it (it takes lab tests) , but the brake calipers used on the Nitro seem to be made of a rough, unfinished, metal that, on the surface, looked poorly done. Poorly-engineered calipers can contribute to a spongy feel by allowing the brake pads to flex more than necessary.

The suspension, while there was nothing seriously wrong with it, had some strange tuning and dynamics to it. Like the suspension on the much heavier and more massive Ford Excursion, but to a lesser extent, it had a tendency, even with correct tire pressures, to pound rather stiffly over small bumps and road irregularities, but allow the front end to bob up and down slightly like a boat just as you come to a stop. This, to me, suggests overspringing and underdamping. The standard Sport Suspension, though, combined with the standard Stability and Roll Stabilization controls, did a good job of checking body roll in sharp corners.....despite a relatively high center-of-gravity, it cornered with almost Miata-like flatness. Joanne, if she buys this vehicle, can be reasonably assured that it will be much more resistant to a roll-over than her old Cherokee was.

So....the verdict? Dodge has come up with a relatively nice alternative to mid-sized Jeeps, and has finally given its dealerships something to put up against the likes of its domestic and foreign competition in the highly popular, small-to-medium-size SUV market. However, to be honest, despite a good power level from the base V6, relatively good space efficinency inside, easy entrance/exit, some clever features in the cargo area, and easy-to-read and use gauges and controls, I did not find it one of the more impressive vehicles I've tested. I won't really judge the chunky, Macho styling....that is a personal matter of taste, except to say that some of it is not for me, especially the super-bulge front fenders, which, IMO, look like something out of the 1930's. But the interior hardware/trim/plastics, exterior paint quality (except for the Inferno Red), exterior hardware, sheet metal, suspension tuning, brakes, and (possibly) the front drivetrain all need work.....this vehicle, IMO, is far from finished, from an engineering and planning point of view. And, as I said in my opening statement, IMO there are better ways to spend your SUV dollars. Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, and even Ford and Mercury with their Escape and Mariner have competing vehicles that are better-built and better-engineered......and some of them have Hybrids as well. But, for Jeep enthusiasts, the Nitro offers an alternative to the Jeep nameplate with a vehicle built on the same platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-07 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Has anyone else seen or driven the Nitro? Let's get some other opinions too.
Old 04-24-07, 06:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about Nitro, but a friend of mine just got a brand new Jeep Liberty, with manual transmission, and it's very much like what you've described. Horrific interior, **** poor fit and assembly, super noisy exaust and engine, with no refinement whatsoever, and ridiculous drivetrain vibration. The gear shifter vibrates so hard, I've never seen anything like that. The only thing that impressed me about the car is the double door seals.
Old 04-24-07, 08:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Has anyone else seen or driven the Nitro? Let's get some other opinions too.
This is how I know you know your stuff b/c I haven't read anything truly positive about this truck and you didn't hide the fact its just not worth the money.

Shame, I actually like the looks. I can't believe they charge extra for some diff paint colors!

The exterior paint job, again, like many Chrysler products, has more orange-peel texture than a Florida citrus grove.

LMAO!!!

Old 04-24-07, 08:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

It's also slow...we had one run at my track a few weeks back and it was more than a second slower than my RX.
Old 04-24-07, 08:51 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was in a rollover accident, whether or not it was my fault, the last thing I would be looking for is another boxy vehicle with a high center of gravity. I'm glad your friend is recovering well though
Old 04-24-07, 09:14 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

GREAT review mmarshall. Appreciated!
Old 04-25-07, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
It's also slow...we had one run at my track a few weeks back and it was more than a second slower than my RX.
Considering the engine size and power, the vehicle's weight, and the drag of the automatic, AWD, and A/C, my test vehicle wasn't bad.....but then again, I'm not a speed freak.
Old 04-25-07, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOL!
GREAT review mmarshall. Appreciated!
Thanks. That's what I'm here for.....one of the things I do in my spare time.
Old 04-25-07, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is how I know you know your stuff b/c I haven't read anything truly positive about this truck and you didn't hide the fact its just not worth the money.

Shame, I actually like the looks. I can't believe they charge extra for some diff paint colors!

The exterior paint job, again, like many Chrysler products, has more orange-peel texture than a Florida citrus grove.

LMAO!!!
Chrysler is not alone in charging extra for certain colors and patterns. We see it quite a bit from German brands....perhaps German ownership of Chrysler is one reason they do it. Another, of course, could be the popularity of certain colors in the marketplace and their wanting to cash in on it.
The Inferno Red (also extra-cost on other Dodge/Chrysler products) is truly a beautiful color, though....comparable to the gorgeous Lexus Matador Red. it just might be worth the extra $$$.

As far as "hiding" or not hiding a car's value, I call it like I see it.......just like you do. I have not been impressed with the build quality, materials used, or fit-and-finish of many Chrysler/Dodge products in general, and particularly those of common Jeep/Dodge platforms...see my review of the Jeep Compass, a rebadged/restyled Dodge Caliber, last fall.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-07 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-25-07, 09:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know about Nitro, but a friend of mine just got a brand new Jeep Liberty, with manual transmission, and it's very much like what you've described. Horrific interior, **** poor fit and assembly, super noisy exaust and engine, with no refinement whatsoever, and ridiculous drivetrain vibration. The gear shifter vibrates so hard, I've never seen anything like that. The only thing that impressed me about the car is the double door seals.
Great review as always mmarshall. I trust your judgement so I skimmed through it

It's a shame that they still haven't improved their products???

I did have one encounter with a liberty (no test drive)...I agree with everything you mentioned above about the horrific fit and finish.

Quality of product=poor
Service =very poor (at least around my area)
Old 04-25-07, 09:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

dodge nitro...A friend brought one over to my house because she got it as a rental while her Accord was in the shop.

The throttle response has got to be the worse ever!! You can tap the accelerator and the car wont go, but give it a little more pedal and the engine surges. Everything about it is horrible. Definitely deserves to be sold in fleets to car rental companies.
Old 04-25-07, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Great review as always mmarshall. I trust your judgement so I skimmed through it

It's a shame that they still haven't improved their products???

I did have one encounter with a liberty (no test drive)...I agree with everything you mentioned above about the horrific fit and finish.

Quality of product=poor
Service =very poor (at least around my area)
Thanks. This vehicle, and the Jeep Compass, were among the least-impressive vehicles I have looked at in the last several years. The larger Jeep Commander, however, despite some second-rate hardware and trim inside and outside, was quite impressive, and, IMO, a pleasure to drive.
Old 04-25-07, 10:05 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Great review as always! Thanks!
Old 04-25-07, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
dodge nitro...A friend brought one over to my house because she got it as a rental while her Accord was in the shop.

The throttle response has got to be the worse ever!! You can tap the accelerator and the car wont go, but give it a little more pedal and the engine surges. Everything about it is horrible. Definitely deserves to be sold in fleets to car rental companies.
Didn't know they were renting them.

I agree at least partly with the surge complaint. The 3.7L is not jumpy from rest, but does move out some when you give it a little more throttle. This may be at least partly due to the fuel-injection setup and the transmission ratios in the lower and middle gears....though the standard automatic on the SXT model, as I noted in the drivetrain specs, is only 4 speeds. It could also be in the engine's torque curve.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-07 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4X4