Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford: RWD architecture possibly in US within 5 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 08:09 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Ford: RWD architecture possibly in US within 5 years

So as GM just said no go to RWD, Ford jumps in and says YES!! lol

Promising Future Ahead for Ford Australia As Fields, May talk it up

FORD Australia is playing an increasingly important role in global design and engineering for the American auto giant, according to the Ford Motor Company’s design chief J Mays and its Americas president Mark Fields.

Speaking to GoAuto at the New York International Auto Show last week, the two Ford heavyweights both talked up the international significance of the Australian operation.

While Mr Mays said Ford’s Melbourne based design team was working closely with the Blue Oval’s European design centre in Cologne, Germany, shaping the next generation of vehicles worldwide, Mr Fields revealed that rear-wheel drive architecture could be returning to American Fords within the next five years.

“I’d say that we are looking at that very, very closely,” Mr Fields said, adding that Australia could also be involved in engineering larger, crossover-style SUVs (such as the next generation Territory) for North America.

“Yeah, potentially,” he said. “I won’t rule out anything.”

In more general terms, he emphasized that FoMoCo needed to make better use of outposts such as Australia. “

We have to leverage our global assets better, particularly our engineering. I can’t get into specifics about what or where, but clearly Australia has huge capabilities and we need to take advantage of that globally,” he said.

“I’ve been down (to Melbourne) a lot, and I am familiar with the facilities, and there are a lot of people going back and forth, and we are doing a lot of work with Broadmeadows right now for South America, which involves
the compact pick-up truck (T6, due to replace the Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50).”

Meanwhile, Mr Mays said that he had given Ford of Europe’s design director Martin Smith “the reign to bring in a lot of the next-generation of designs from Ford Australia and Asia-Pacific, so there will be inf uences there”.

He also confirmed that there were tangible design similarities between the new mid-sized Mondeo and the next-generation Falcon, both of which will be on sale in Australia during 2008.

“There are (Mondeo) influences with the new Falcon, although it is a little bit too early for me to be talking about that,” Mr Mays said. “You will not see exactly the same car, but I think you will see that it came out of the same thinking. It’s about as much as I can tell you at the moment.”

Mr Mays added that Ford’s European and Australasian design studios – the latter under the influence of American Scott Strong – would continue to forge stronger links.

“As we get into the next generation of product, we have a mindset that we are going to drive all Fords – in Asia-Pacific and Europe – a little bit more towards each other,” he said. “We are spending a lot more time down there in Melbourne than we were even two years ago.”

http://www.mellor.net/mellor/mellorw...oAuto%20e-News
Old 04-12-07, 08:22 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd still have a tough time considering a Ford product, RWD or not. As I sit here with an '07 Ford Taurus loaner while my '06 Lexus ES is at the dealer having a laundry list of things repaired (reliable? ), I'm reminded about how poorly executed Ford's cars are. Bad driving dynamics, bad brakes, bad drivetrain, bad interior. I couldn't see myself owning one of these.
Old 04-12-07, 11:16 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
I'd still have a tough time considering a Ford product, RWD or not. As I sit here with an '07 Ford Taurus loaner while my '06 Lexus ES is at the dealer having a laundry list of things repaired (reliable? ), I'm reminded about how poorly executed Ford's cars are. Bad driving dynamics, bad brakes, bad drivetrain, bad interior. I couldn't see myself owning one of these.
Those are American fords and I completely agree with you. From those people I know that have been in Fords in Europe and basically not North America, apparantly they are much better. I don't know as I have never seen one in person, but I can't see myself buying any Ford product for myself. Anytime I'm in our Mustang or my friend's Focus I'm reminded of what bad cars they are compared to European or Japanese cars.
Old 04-12-07, 05:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Ford doesn't sell a Taurus any longer unless it's some special for a fleet deal. Either way, yes, that's an old design. Have you driven a NEWER Ford lately?

A Ford 500 or Fusion is probably as quiet as your ES, handles as well or better, and according to latest results doesn't have to go to a dealer for a 'laundry list of things to repair'.

Ford is far from perfect, but judging it on a loaner of some 10 yr old design doesn't have much validity.
Old 04-13-07, 01:35 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ford doesn't sell a Taurus any longer unless it's some special for a fleet deal. Either way, yes, that's an old design. Have you driven a NEWER Ford lately?

A Ford 500 or Fusion is probably as quiet as your ES, handles as well or better, and according to latest results doesn't have to go to a dealer for a 'laundry list of things to repair'.

Ford is far from perfect, but judging it on a loaner of some 10 yr old design doesn't have much validity.
Actually, I think Ford renamed the Five Hundred to the Taurus.
Old 04-13-07, 01:37 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, looks like there's no '07 Taurus, but there is for '08...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/Cars/2008taurus/
Old 04-13-07, 03:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah the five hundred was renamed the Taurus for '08, but the old Taurus never stopped production (maybe it has now), they just stopped selling them at dealerships. Fleets (car rentals and government agencies, mostly) could still buy them new directly from Ford for several years after they were "discontinued".
Old 04-13-07, 04:34 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
Those are American fords and I completely agree with you. From those people I know that have been in Fords in Europe and basically not North America, apparantly they are much better. I don't know as I have never seen one in person, but I can't see myself buying any Ford product for myself. Anytime I'm in our Mustang or my friend's Focus I'm reminded of what bad cars they are compared to European or Japanese cars.
Your right, the European Focus, Mondeo, S-Max, Galaxy etc are dynamically at or near the top of their respective segments, have very good quality interiors and a reputation for reliability.
Old 04-13-07, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Okay, looks like there's no '07 Taurus, but there is for '08...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/Cars/2008taurus/
Yes, that's the freshened Ford 500 they renamed to the Taurus.

I see from that link that it looks like the new 'Taurus X' is a renamed and freshened Freestyle too.

Hard to say if this is a good strategy, but this new 500 / Taurus, with the new 3.5L engine, new interior and updated exterior is a NICE vehicle. Don't knock it until you've driven one. Quiet, smooth, comfortable, roomy, and now a better engine/tranny combo than the earlier one. And the trunk is gigantic.
Old 04-13-07, 06:29 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Your right, the European Focus, Mondeo, S-Max, Galaxy etc are dynamically at or near the top of their respective segments, have very good quality interiors and a reputation for reliability.
i've driven an earlier edition Mondeo...and it was very nice. I always wondered why ford never thought of bringing this vehicle to the US instead of the fusion/milan
Old 04-13-07, 08:42 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it needs to be here 5 years ago.
Old 04-13-07, 09:07 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

One of the biggest problems with Ford's North American operations is the constant cost cutting. Shaving pennies off here and there doesn't save them anything in the long run. They should really apply much of their European expertise into their American operations, particularly where build quality is concerned.
Old 04-13-07, 09:13 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Falcon LS
One of the biggest problems with Ford's North American operations is the constant cost cutting. Shaving pennies off here and there doesn't save them anything in the long run. They should really apply much of their European expertise into their American operations, particularly where build quality is concerned.
Like I said they needs to SEND THOSE BEAN COUNTERS TO THE GULAGS
Old 04-14-07, 11:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I predict that Ford may change it's mind just like GM, or say that their RWD cars are put on hold. Fact of the matter is, there is no big demand for RWD cars, unless they are luxury cars.