Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKTHOUGHT..my new 2nd fav luxury brand is...Audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 09:38 PM
LexFather

Exclamation 1SICKTHOUGHT..my new 2nd fav luxury brand is...Audi

My 3 favorites of the brand (above pics) but as I have watched BMW and Benz just lose their minds with design and refuse to fix quality or customer service, Audi, while adding the gaping grill, has kept the styling classy , understated yet pronounced and is improving all around, IMO. It speaks luxury without gold teeth or grabbing their ***** saying "HEY I AM A LUXURY CAR".

Their interiors the past few years have been considered the best if not near best in class, in each class. Their cars are getting sportier. I am not worried about reliability, that is what Lexus is for (and #1 in my eyes).

I think if they EVOLVE their designs in the future instead of copying or deciding ugly cars are cool, they might really catch some companies off guard. In reading recently, they also have "said" they are committed to improving quality. Also, they refuse to give crazy lease rates or huge discounts, which may hurt sales but IMO, helps with image. Not everyone HAS an Audi. That to me, is becoming very very attractive.

Dislikes? Never was a fan of the TT. The A3 is overpriced, this could be a segment buster but price is killing it. How about they advertise for the A8???

With Mercedes deciding SUVs should be their design inspiration for everything, continuing their arrogance with a sub-par product many times, they are now 4th, after BMW. The new BMWs, I still can't look at more than 5 seconds at a time outside the 3 sedan and their interiors leave me cold but the "image" and drive beats out Benz and their AMG glory.

I never, EVER thought I would consider driving an Audi but they have multiple cars I could see myself in. Let the pics not fool you, its not just about the R cars. Their basic models are great took as is the "S" line. I do like how they offer
"S"
"RS".
Hey chose your level of engagement.

Is it just me????

Old 04-03-07, 09:54 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. it's just not you.

sensible, clean, AWD, with different levels of civilized madness.
Old 04-03-07, 09:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I would pic an S4 anyday of the week.. Great cars IMO.. solid
Old 04-03-07, 09:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like Audi.

They have style, design, performance, speed, relatively good competitive pricing. I'm just always concerned about reliability, and unfortunately, Japanese marques rule that category.

I can't wait to see Audi further progress and evolve. They're definately near the top of my list...
Old 04-03-07, 10:02 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

My mother bought one brand new in the late 80's and it had an oil fire and burned to the ground with 6k miles on it.

Let's just say she doesn't like them.

I think the latest one's look amazing. I also like the Volvo with the body kit and turbocharger that looks lowered from the factory. Those are pimp also. I believe it is an S80T, but with a body kit and lowered with wheels. Must be special order I have seen a few.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-03-07 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 10:04 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the comments guys. Funny but them having AWD is a plus but not something "needed" I guess.
Also their motorsport with the R8/R10 cars are nuts. Watching that R10 in person was "moving' to say the least!

Old 04-03-07, 10:59 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all with you on this, except in my case Lexus is my second favorite.
Old 04-03-07, 11:01 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

I dunno about pricing... but I like their new styles.
Old 04-03-07, 11:35 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my lil brother had an 1999 audi a6 and he abused the hell out of that car. we sold it in great condition with 119k on it. I respect audi's and the power they make, some models. They have great handling and the awd is nice. I've reace the s4 when I had my honda and that car is a beast, put a new sense of respect into my eyes. The current audis are very understated and that is something that I find appealing. The s or the rs models you cant really tell the difference between them and the regular models unless you know what to look for. I would get an audi if I could afford the maintence. Maybe when I get a better job.
Old 04-03-07, 11:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think Audi in a number of ways is superior to the other German makes, specificially in their interior design, lesser frequency of bad exterior design issues, and of course their vaunted Quattro system. However, in my limited personal experience their dealerships need to lose the arrogant attitude, and they need to improve the quality and reliability. I think the A8 interior is especially nice.
Old 04-03-07, 11:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

The R8 looks INCREDIBLE especially in person...........The S8 is not too bad either.
Old 04-04-07, 12:07 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i never really liked european cars all that much until a friend who kept going on and on about audis and how good they are, had me drive some. Needless to say the A4 is a great alternative to the IS, the Q7 which is a great SUV w/three rows of seats, and the other audi models look good, have a good warranty, and are understated.
Old 04-04-07, 03:14 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I would never buy an Audi with my hard earned cash.
They do look, sound and sit wonderfull.
Old 04-04-07, 04:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
I would never buy an Audi with my hard earned cash.
What are you going to do then....steal one?
Old 04-04-07, 04:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Being an AWD convert, Audis are high on my list of likeable cars...the Quattro system is excellent, and gives year-around traction as long as you don't get tires that are too dry-pavement aggressive, like on the S and RS models.
And the interior fit-and-finish is some of the best in the industry....for the most part, Audi gives you what you pay for when you open the doors and get in.

Two major marketing changes need to be made, though, IMO....in addition to the obvious need, shared by most German-designed cars, for better electronics. First, on the A3, the Quattro needs to be offered with the 2.0T engine and DSG (a marvelous transmission, BTW). Currently, in the A3, you must get the 3.2 V6 to get Quattro...a needless and senseless restriction that even Audi can't come with a good reason for.

The second thing is......you guessed it. Bring back the older Audi grilles...IMO these new ones are awful.

Quick Reply: 1SICKTHOUGHT..my new 2nd fav luxury brand is...Audi