Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 BMW X5 4.8L

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2007 BMW X5 4.8L

By special request, here is my review of the 2007 BMW X5, specifically the V8 model.

http://www.bmwusa.com/

In a Nutshell: The Ultimate Driving Machine puts on snowshoes.

BMW, in 2000, released the original X5, over the objections of many company purists, in response to then-skyrocketing demand for SUV's, especially upscale ones, and, in particular, as a response to archrival Mercedes-Benz's successful but poorly built and unreliable M-Class and the still-under-development Porsche Cayenne. Some BMW purists were outraged at the thought of a BMW SUV, just as they were also to be disappointed over some of the forthcoming Chris Bangle designs about to unfold at that time. Similiar outrage, not surprisingly, was felt by many Porsche enthusiasts at the thought of one of the world's premier sports-car companies getting involved with what they considered "soccer-mom" vehicles.

However, money talks, and you can't argue with sales. The new X5 was every bit as successful in the SUV market as its rival M-Class, and, not only soccer-moms, but even some former BMW enthusiasts, seeking more versatility and better winter traction, had a change of heart and lined up to buy the X5 in droves. Though, of course, it didn't (and doesn't) sell in Camry-Accord numbers, by European SUV standards, it was and is a very successful machine. I, myself, see many of them every day here in the Washington, D.C. area ....they are quite popluar in this high-income region.

The X5, as a car-based SUV, was so successful that BMW decided to undercut it with the smaller and less expensive X3, which, price-wise, made the vehicle more accessible to lower-income people than the X5, and it was also easier to manuver and park in tight shopping-mall environments, as most X5's had ended up being used that way anyway. The X3 did appeal to a wider range of income groups than the larger X5, but its emphasis on sharp handling and the resulting stiff ride turned off a lot of potential soccer-moms that placed a premium on riding comfort and didn't care much about race-track handling. The X3's ride was so stiff that even sport-oriented car magazines criticized it....and BMW engineers ended up making tire and suspension changes as a result.

The X5, as stated, went on to become one of the most successful new BMW introductions ever in the American market, but, like the Mercedes M-Class, it
had its share of design and build-quality goofs. By that time period, the electronics and hardware in many European-designed cars had started to show an alarming drop in reliability, and the X5 was no exception. Some goofs were just annoying and inconvienent....some actually dangerous. A number of early-model X5's were built with defective engine cooling-fan switches that sometimes did not go on and off properly with engine temperature, leading to overheating and engine fires. A number of X5's, even within the warranty period, were totalled from engine fires getting out of control, with BMW obviously eating a heavy cost for them (I don't have any numbers on injuries or deaths).

Even with a worse-than-average repair record, and caution on purchase from Consumer Reports, the X5 continued to sell well, and its popularity continues to this day. As I discovered from this review, it does, in fact, offer a lot of the traditional BMW steering, handling, and chassis dynamics, without the need to park it when the first snowflakes start to fall. Its overall build quality, while still not quite up to Japanese standards, is no doubt better than several years ago (my test vehicle had only one minor defect....I'll get to that). The second-generation model does not depart radically from the first-generation model except to add some Chris Bangle touches inside...the exterior styling is not that noticeably different until you get up close.

Now, let's take a look at the new X5 in detail.

MOdel Reviewed: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i

Base Price: $54,500

Major Options:

Cold Weather Package: $900

Premium Package: $2550

Rear Climate Package: $700

3rd Row Seat: $1200

Park Distance Control: $700

Destination Charge: $695

Price as Reviewed: $61,245

Exterior Color: Black Sapphire Metallic

Interior: Sand Beige Nevada Leather with Dark Bamboo Wood Trim

Drivetrain: 4.8L Longitudinal-mounted V8, 350 HP @ 6300 RPM, 350 ft-lbs. torque @ 3400-3600 RPM,
6-speed automatic with automanual Sportshift, X-Drive AWD with DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). 3.91 final-drive ratio.

PLUSSES:

Same great BMW steering feel and chassis dynamics as always, even with a higher center of gravity.

Torquey V8 despite the vehicle's weight and drag of AWD.

Smooth-shifting automanual does not have the jerkiness of BMW SMG transmissions.

AWD traction and Wagon/SUV versatility combined with the BMW panache.

High ground clearance for deep snow.

Volvo-style Roll-sensing system works with DSC for safety.

Relatively handsome (IMO) exterior styling resists the jelly-bean look.

Fairly wide choice of interior leather patterns and colors.

Several different interior wood trim patterns available (graphite metallic trim available in V6 models).

Longitude-engine mount, as opposed to transverse-mount, makes for a simpler, Subaru-style AWD system.

(Limited) 4/50 Free Maintenance includes even some wear items, like brake pads and wiper blades.

Multi-Adjustable and Multi-Retractible second-row rear seat.

Comfortable drivers'and front-passenger seats.

Relative lack of body roll on corners.

55-series tires give relatively good ride.

Well-done paint job, especially in the lighter colors.

Solid-feeling doors (unlike some other recent BMW's).

Good exterior hardware.

(Mostly) Good interior hardware and trim.

Plenty of space up front for tall people, even with sunroof.

12-year-unlimited mileage rust/corrosion warranty beats even Hyundai's.

MINUSES:

Open your wallet, brother....this is no econobox. You pay for those benefits.

Awkward, flimsy, transmission shifter action takes some getting used to.

I-Drive.....you already know my opinion of that. (Yes, I know some people like it ).

61K list price does not include NAV.

Optional ($1200) 3rd row seat virtualy useless.

Exterior paint colors duller than Grandma's Sewing Club.

Flimsy, poorly-designed steering-column stalks confusing to use.

Stereo OK but not outstanding.

Somewhat touchy brakes.

Annoying, automatic-locking door system above 10-15 MPH.

Unimpressive Nevada Leather seat and steering wheel trim.

No cloth seats available in the American market.

Expensive service and parts when Warranty and Free Maintenance runs out.

Dealerships inconsistant....some relatively friendly, many with the old BMW/Mercedes/Porsche arrogance.

Good, but not perfect, assembly quality.

Relatively small fog lights in the front bumper.

Opening the specific review, as always, with a general overview as you first walk up to the vehicle, visually, it is obviously a member of the BMW family. The first impression that you get (not surprisingly, given the X5 model designation) is that of a 5-series wagon up on stilts, with a lot of extra ground clearance. In fact, it sits up high enough that running boards are an option, but that, of course, is a real boon going through deep snow or mud, and the high ground clearance it also makes it lot easier to clean underneath the vehicle with a hose. Anyhow, the familiar BMW styling traits of the split double-kidney grille, eyebrow headlights, tapered hood, and trapeziodal taillights are all there, yet it pleasantly, (IMO) avoids the too-common jelly-bean look of so many of today's vehicles....I get SO tired of looking at that.
The front end-styling is more or less reminiscent of the new 5-series, but is not a formal copy of it. I thought it was well-done, except for the small fog lights in the small bumper. They are only a couple of inches across, and though I did not drive the vehicle at night or in poor visibility to test them, they don't look to me, even if they are super-efficient HID bulbs, like they would actually do much good.

The rear end was equally handsome.....again, it looked like just what it was supposed to be....a wagon/SUV, not a bullet-shaped spaceship. The exterior paint was well-done, more so in the lighter colors than darker ones (my test vehicle was black), with almost no orange peel and a smooth, even gloss. However, that's not to say I actually liked the colors...not a single one of them, IMO, even the Mineral Green Metallic, would have much use outside a funeral home ( see the actual color chips on the attached BMW web site). Even conservative Wall Street buisnessmen wear brighter-colored suits.
Ho-hum paint colors aside, as I said, the exterior is well-done. The sheet metal and doors,in BMW tradition, feel solid and strong, the exterior hardware and trim durable and well-attached, though not as much so as with the BMW's of the Pre-Chris Bangle era, and the general level of exterior fit-and-finish is good.

Open the doors and get in (a step up for some shorter people, hence the optional running boards) and the interior, though obviously Bangle-ized, is generally well-done also....except, of course, for the quirks common to most recent BMW's. The doors shut with a generally solid thud (better than in the sister 5-series), and the hardware, except for the transmission shifter and steering-column stalks (more on this later), solid and well-attached. The dash is generally well-laid out, with typically-BMW-style excellent round, highly visible primary and secondary gauges. The wood trim on the dash is well-done and reminiscent of the pattern on many new GM vehicles....polished wood across the dash with chrome trim strips 9 my test vehicle had the rather dark brown Dark Bamboo swirl-pattern......several others are available. The wood trim extends to both front and both rear doors as well. All of the rest of the interior was well-assembled, with one obvious assembly-line goof: in one of the center A/C vents, the tab behind the **** was not properly connected to the louvers, so the louvers would not move with the **** and redirect the airflow. Otherwise I could find no defects.

Most of the hardware felt solid and well-assembled, but The flimsy, dime-store plastic twin stalks on the steering column that operate the wipers and speed control were poorly done, both in the plastic quality and in the design of the switches (I noticed the same thing in both my Volvo S80 and BMW 550 reviews). BMW and Volvo could both learn a lesson from Japanese manufacturers in the design of the stalks.
Ditto for the transmission shift lever on the console (no steering-wheel paddles in my test vehicle) ......it was small, thin, made of thin plastic with flimsy buttons, and took some getting used to. You have to hit the buttons and move the lever just so, different from most shift levers, to get it from Reverse through Neutral into the Forward gears. And the manual SportShift function, like on Mazdas, works in reverse of that of most vehicles today ( discounting the side-to-side Chrysler-Mercedes AutoStick). BMW and Mazda automanuals downshift when you move the levers forward and upshift when pulling them back....the opposite of most vehicles. (Remember that, folks, when you are out on a test-drive, or you could red-line the engine and give the drivetrain a big jolt).

I also was not impressed with the look and feel of the Nevada leather trim in this particular package. Although several other leather trim packages are available, I did not, and could not, sample them all. Anyhow, the Nevada leather had a dull look to it, felt cheap.....more like vinyl instead of leather......and did not even have much of a leather smell. It was not the superb leather you find on upper-level Jaguars and Lexuses. And, like Mercedes, which offers cloth seats on most of its German-home-market vehicles but not here for America, BMW does the same thing.
Cloth, for those dissatisfied with the leather, is not available in U.S.-spec vehicles.

The rest of the interior was well-done, except for the controversial I-Drive. I'm not going to get into the I-Drive in detail because it is too controversial; we have already discussed and argued it back and forth to death here in the CAR CHAT forum. Most of you know how it operates, and most of you know where you stand on it. You either like it of hate it. I happen to be one of those who dislikes it, and similiar devices like Audi's MMI, in every so-equipped vehicle I've ever been in. And that's it.....no more on that subject in this review.

The front seats, in BMW tradition, were quite comfortable, well-shaped, and supportive in cornering, and there was plenty of head and legroom for tall people. I wasn't very impressed with the leather, but we have already covered that subject. The rear seats, of course, were less comfortable and less roomy, but felt quite solid and well-constructed, and there were several different levers on their top and sides which cleverly allowed them to just fold the seatback for third-row seat access or fold the whole seat forward and down several different ways to extend the cargo area. The third-row seats, as with most so-equipped vehicles, were virtually useless unless you have a large family with some small kids to go in back. If you don't, save your $1200 and don't check that off on the option box (this pricey vehicle is expensive enough without it).

The dash controls for the stereo and climate control are generally well-designed and easy to operate, though not the best I've seen, like in Toyota/Honda/Subaru-designed vehicles. Fortunately, some dash-control functions, once set, don't need to be used with the You-Know-What; the simple dash buttons will suffice. I have to base these comments for the dash buttons on the non-NAV version.....even at 61K, my test vehicle did not have a NAV system.

The rear cargo area, thanks to the fairly squared-off look and the lack of jelly bean, space-ship styling, is fairly roomy and space-efficient, though, of course, not the size of a Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition EL's cargo area. The rear hatch is a split-level clamshell design, and the upper or lower halves can be opened separately as needed.

OK....BMW's, more than anything else, are built for driving, so let's go driving. Start-up is with a by-now fairly ubiquitous, for upscale vehicles, transponder plastic key box and starter button. The fairly big 4.8L V8 is not Lexus-smooth and quiet at idle...a small amount of noise and vibation is noticeable.
Once on the road and warmed up, the 350 HP and 350 ft.lbs. of torque are more than enough for this vehicle, even with its heavy weight (5335 lbs.) and the additional drag of the AWD system....though it is not a top-fuel dragster, it will pin you back into your seat....and with all of that power, weight, and AWD, you can just about watch the gas-gauge needle drop....at 93 octane, Premium fuel now well over $3.00 a gallon at many stations. The door-lock system automatically locks all the doors when you get to 10-15 MPH.....an inconvienent, safety-nanny feature that I have never liked. The transmission, unlike the knock-your-fillings-out jolts you sometimes get with the BMW SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox), shifts smoothly, quietly, and unobtrusively, even under throttle in manual operation, though the shift lever is not well-designed....I have already covered that subject.

The steering, like on almost all BMW's, is a REAL treat on this car; firm, responsive, plenty of effort and road feel.....just like a telephone line in the system connected your two hands on the wheel with the front tires. That steering feel remains even with the added AWD hardware up front that filters out some feel and respons on other vehicles. Handling is typical BMW, even with the high center of gravity........smooth, even response to the steering, relative lack of body roll...the vehicle goes exactly where you point it and responds with a minimum of understeer. Who says that an SUV has to drive like a Grandpa or Grandma vehicle?

The ride, considering the handling level, is quite compliant, partly a result of good suspension engineering, and partly a result of the 55-series tires which strike a good ride-handling balance as well. The ride is not Camry-soft; you do feel bumps, but it is by no means harsh.....and nowhere near as firm as with little brother X3. How the tires will do in snow or ice, I can't say...I did not drive the vehicle in those conditions. But I myself have an Outback with 55-series tires that is just superb in snow....it literally laughs at the white stuff. The X5's tires are probably a little more aggressive on dry pavement than my Outback's all-seasons, and not quite as grippy in snow, but the 5335 lb. weight of this vehicle should make up for that somewhat.

The brakes could be improved a little. There is no problem with the hardware or size.....they stop plenty short, have Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist (a feature I've never liked...it can cause rear-enders by sometimes slamming them on full-force), and are more than adequate, but the brake-proportioning system is too sensitive on initial pedal application...it starts slowing the car down too rapidly and you have to back off on the pedal instantly.

So.....the verdict? Despite this car's superlative steering, AWD traction, good power level, comfortable seats, wagon utility and space efficiency, it is not a vehicle that I would buy out of my own pocket. It is simply priced too high, IMO too expensive for what you get, (I know some of you may disagree) and excludes some commonly wanted equipment AT that price. Even the BMW salespeople, who profit from selling this vehicle, felt it was overpriced, and they recommend the substantially lower-priced 3.0 In-line six model, which, at 260 HP and 225 ft.lbs. of torque, cannot equal the V8, but should prove adequate for normal driving. This is an expensive car, though it comes with some nice perks like the 4/50 free service and parts replacement, the 12-year unlimited rust warranty, and of course, the panache of BMW ownership and the nameplate. The bumper-to bumper warranty, however, will probably be needed....these vehicles do not have Toyota/Honda reliability. , But for those who want a versatile, all-weather BMW, are willing to pay the cost of it, and feel that the smaller BMW X3 is just that......too small.......well, your BMW salesperson is waiting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 07:54 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review. I gotta check it out next week at the NY Auto Show. I was a fan of the first gen, so I'm glad BMW got it right again.
Old 04-01-07, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Great review. I gotta check it out next week at the NY Auto Show. I was a fan of the first gen, so I'm glad BMW got it right again.
Thanks.

If you're going to the NY show and by the BMW display, see what the latest word is on the 1-series coming over here to the U.S, would you? BMW seems to be up and down like a yo-yo on that.
Old 04-01-07, 08:08 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...Several different interior wood trim patterns available (graphite metallic trim available in V6 models)....
Nice write up, but the base model is an inline 6, not a V6. BMW doesn't make V6 engine.
Old 04-01-07, 08:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Great review mmarshall!

I notice that the 4.8 you drove doesnt have sport package. It handles even better with the sport package. I almost felt weird how well it handles with the optional active suspension sport package.

And I completely agree with you about the pricing. I said it in the other threads also. While it has one of the best buys SUV in the market, it simply priced too (way too) high. The car I drove has sticker at 73K (with optional 20 inches wheel + almost all the option). Can you still sticker shock (may be more like struck by lightning)?

And 3.0is doesnt do it for me. After driving 4.8, 3.0 in line 6 felt funny in the X5.
Old 04-01-07, 08:27 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thanks.

If you're going to the NY show and by the BMW display, see what the latest word is on the 1-series coming over here to the U.S, would you? BMW seems to be up and down like a yo-yo on that.
Will do! I'll try not to spend too much time by the Kia booth.
Old 04-01-07, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Nice write up, but the base model is an inline 6, not a V6. BMW doesn't make V6 engine.

Yes...good catch. I DID mention the 3.0 in-line six in other parts of the review....just had a typo on that one line. I edit my reviews carefully but don't always catch everything.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-07 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Will do! I'll try not to spend too much time by the Kia booth.
You probably won't be disappointed if you do. You will see that they no longer make junk like in past years, although the base Rio is a little plain inside and not much to look at.
Old 04-01-07, 10:06 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Yes...good catch. I DID mention the 3.0 in-line six in other parts of the review....just had a typo on that one line. I edit my reviews carefully but don't always catch everything.
I am not trying to be a moron. I just want to show you how much I appreciate your dedication writing up the reviews for everybody here but reading every single word in your report.
Old 04-01-07, 10:42 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Great GREAT review mmarshall! Very MUCH appreciated! Really helps me a lot! I heard the transmission shifter is a cool "idea" but it takes some time getting used to. Is their a real reason why BMW decided to put this new shifter in their cars(facelifted e60 is getting the shifter as well)?
Old 04-02-07, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I am not trying to be a moron. I just want to show you how much I appreciate your dedication writing up the reviews for everybody here but reading every single word in your report.
Thanks. I usually do a review based on a specific request, general CL interest in the forums, my own curiosity or interest in a new vehicle, when I have time to do it, and of course, when the vehicles are available. Because of supply and demand, I had to wait over a month, for example, to do an available Honda Fit last spring and 3 months to do the Volvo S80 because its introduction here was delayed.
Old 04-02-07, 03:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOL!
Great GREAT review mmarshall! Very MUCH appreciated! Really helps me a lot! I heard the transmission shifter is a cool "idea" but it takes some time getting used to. Is their a real reason why BMW decided to put this new shifter in their cars(facelifted e60 is getting the shifter as well)?
Thanks.
I've given up trying to understand or make sense of why Chris Bangle-design BMW's have some of the designs and features they do.....but while I don't know this for a fact, the shifter's small size and thin plastic would suggest simply lower cost of production. Fortunately, like on the Toyota Tundra I reviewed last week, the flimsy shifter seems to have a good transmission underneath it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-07 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 05:46 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mmarshall, I think it is time you start taking a digital camera along with your test drives an include pictures in your reviews. Your reviews are magazine like, but sometimes it does feel like a lot of reading, but I bet that is because there are no pictures like in a magazine. Good job on the review.
Old 04-02-07, 05:58 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Nice review as always.

IMO it's both too heavy and too expensive. I haven't driven these new SUVs but the MDX and the new GM SUVs are more what I'd be looking at. I'd get a SUV that is a jacked up minivan. AWD and a bit of ground clearance for snow, but mainly just for hauling the kids around which I don't need a $60K SUV to do.

If I want a performance car for sporty driving it wouldn't be a 5300 lb truck.
Old 04-02-07, 08:32 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Nice review MMarshall

Of note, I believe the auto door locks can be turned off with your friendly I-Drive

Quick Reply: Review: 2007 BMW X5 4.8L