Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So these "smart access" entry systems in cars these days. What if the battery dies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 12:39 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand your concern, but the chances of a battery going out in the first place are much lower today than in the past....though of course it will eventually happen.
Batteries today, in general, last longer than they used to, are more efficient, provide more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), and in general are much less likely to run down than in past years.....the alternators and computerized charging systems that support them are also a lot more efficient. And, to top it off, most cars today have headlights and stereo systems that go off with the ignition switch, and some premium cars even have battery rundown protection that will cut off dome lights, trunk lights, glove compartment lights, etc... if you walk away from the car with your head up your a**.

(Don't laugh...we ALL do that sooner or later, me included ).
If I'm, not mistaken, I think we are all talking about the battery in the remote FOB. Now that many cars are going with Comfort Access, or Smart Access, Keyless GO, whatever each manufacturer calls their own, some cars no longer have a readily accessible key hole and often use a touch lock/unlock system when it detects the remote FOB. The question was if the remote FOB battery dies how do you gain access into your car?

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-02-07 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-01-07, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
If I'm, not mistaken, I think we are all talking about the battery in the remove FOB. Now that many cars are going with Comfort Access, or Smart Access, Keyless GO, whatever each manufacturer calls their own, some cars no longer have a readily accessible key hole and often use a touch lock/unlock system when it detects the remote FOB. The question was if the remote FOB battery dies how do you gain access into your car?
OK, Thanks. I'm sorry if I misunderstood the question. Disregard my comments.
Old 04-01-07, 01:14 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my IS350, when the battery in the fob is low the car will tell you so you can go replace it.
Old 04-01-07, 02:42 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Lexus keys have a mechanical key.
After 2003, Mercedes smartkey's were integrated into the old-style key so you have a mechanical key there as well.
In the Mercedes cars there are 2 batteries so you can ALWAYS start your vehicle.
Old 04-01-07, 03:41 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the fact that there are flimsy covers that hide the keyholes.

What if someone steals mine ?

Well...there are plenty of IS' around here to steal from...heheheh...
Old 04-01-07, 03:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And also, if the battery is really close to dead, you can still hold the key very close to the SmartAccess Start button and it will still work, supposedly.
Old 06-04-07, 09:12 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
And also, if the battery is really close to dead, you can still hold the key very close to the SmartAccess Start button and it will still work, supposedly.
My salesman said the same thing... can anyone prove this?

Just wondering if the "chip" in the Lexus fob which allows you to push button start the engine, work similar to the engine immobilizer chip that was in my Prelude's key, which had no battery.
Old 06-04-07, 10:12 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

The new lexus keys like the ones in 2IS have RFID chips that emit even if the battery is dead. Like people have said earlier, if you hold it close to the button it will start even if the battery is dead. I've tried this out, I took out the battery from my keyfob and opened the car with the manual key inside of the fob and then held it real close to the button like touching it and it turned on, so it does work even if there's no battery
Old 06-05-07, 01:52 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It is possible to actually lock yourself in a new C6 also. If someone walks away out of proximity with the fob key and there is still a passenger inside. The security will enable and not even allow the passenger to unlock the car from the inside.
Old 06-05-07, 05:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
It is possible to actually lock yourself in a new C6 also. If someone walks away out of proximity with the fob key and there is still a passenger inside. The security will enable and not even allow the passenger to unlock the car from the inside.
Sounds like the same blond who locked herself out of her car - then was trying to get the door open because it was starting to rain and she wanted to put the top up.
Old 06-05-07, 08:39 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
The new lexus keys like the ones in 2IS have RFID chips that emit even if the battery is dead. Like people have said earlier, if you hold it close to the button it will start even if the battery is dead. I've tried this out, I took out the battery from my keyfob and opened the car with the manual key inside of the fob and then held it real close to the button like touching it and it turned on, so it does work even if there's no battery
THANK YOU! Finally got a straight answer!!
Old 06-05-07, 10:14 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
There's a manual handle at the base of the door you can pull to get out at anytime
Old 06-06-07, 07:08 PM
anwar1337
Driver

Why does it matter? If youre car battery is dead then... the car wont turn on... if youre talking about the key's battery, I know the LS has a key hole in the door handle and you can unlock it like that and you can just put the smart key in the smartkey hole and even if its dead the car still detects that it is an original and there you go !
Old 06-07-07, 01:02 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
There's a manual handle at the base of the door you can pull to get out at anytime
Haha. I should tell him that now.