Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watch out Lexus... Here comes Hyundai...(Genesis concept images released - Page 2)

Old 03-23-07, 05:57 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive! I would buy one if it could match Lexus for reliability and quality. Nice Job, Hyundai!
Old 03-23-07, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
At least this rendering has more conservative possibilities for being on a production level car. Nice shape though as pointed out a blend of current cars.
Regardless, if they could pull it off, it would be hawt!

(Gag...I grow tired of swoopy streamline type lines only to find they are substantially fattened up in production. )
I hear ya. Part of the problem is stupid European 'pedestrian impact' laws mandating tall fronts which must then be compensated throughout the design.
Old 03-23-07, 07:41 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheesy but very stylish if that makes sense.
Old 03-24-07, 05:16 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Regardless, if they could pull it off, it would be hawt!

I hear ya. Part of the problem is stupid European 'pedestrian impact' laws mandating tall fronts which must then be compensated throughout the design.
If you're hit by a car it's gonna suck regardless. How 'bout we train rigorously our drivers? I know my driving school was a complete joke. But I've learned to not be a douche on the road.
Old 03-24-07, 05:26 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Not bad at all Hyundai has really turned their game around in the last few years. The build and quality of their cars surpass a lot of the domestic brands.
Old 03-24-07, 07:43 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Brickhead mentioned, it would be very impressive if Hyundai could match the quality and reliability of Lexus.. I suppose it's not impossible but Imagine?! Lexus has not only come a LONG way in a SHORT time it's become the leader in many ways. I would be incredibly surprised if Hyundai matched Lexus any time soon. Then again, why should I be? The South Korean company is no joke...
Old 03-27-07, 07:06 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Looks like the concept will be unveiled at the NY Auto Show.

This looks like a good bargain and could definitely spell a lot of
trouble for Lexus and especially Acura.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 03-27-07, 08:28 AM
Koma

It'll take Hyundai time to build up a good luxury reputation. They have it quite bad as Kia/Hyundai has always had the stipulation that they have poor build quality. But hey look at where Toyota is now. More competition the better.
Old 03-27-07, 08:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Apparently, Hyundai just lifted an embargo on the first round of images of its Genesis concept, due to be unveiled at next month's New York Auto Show.

Although labeled as a "concept," Hyundai's heads are already speaking as if the Genesis has been green-lit for production, saying that the all new, rear-wheel-drive sedan will look very much like the concept and will carry a price tag "well under $30,000."

What badge will appear on the trunk lid when it hits dealerships in 2008 is up in the air, but according to The Car Connection, several details seem to be decided on. First, a new "Tau" V8, producing over 300 HP, will find its way under the hood, giving the RWD sedan a 53:47 weight distribution and propelling it to 60 in less than six seconds. The automaker made overtures that the new powertrain may come in different displacements, possibly sporting a 3.6-liter V6, and could even be produced with some form of forced induction. Hybrid versions seem to be on the table as well.

As for features, expect the Genesis to come with HID headlamps, nav, active cruise control, HD radio, Bluetooth, stability control and side airbags; the last two being designed into the concept. All those features allow Hyundai to set its sights squarely on much higher priced German metal, and that's exactly what they've intended.
source : thecarconnection, via autoblog
Old 03-27-07, 09:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

source : motorauthority
Old 03-27-07, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Great find.
Reminds me of the G35 sedan with LS 460 exhaust pipes. Design it nothing near groudbreaking, I was hoping for me.

If anyone should worry, its Acura. This not only has a V-8 but it is RWD. The funny thing is I don't think it would hurt TL sales but be another car killing the RL.

Old 03-27-07, 09:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Pretty nice looking car. I'm not liking that rear quarter window shape..so over used the past generation of cars. Needs a bit more angle like the 3-GS has.

I'm surprised one hasn't been seen in camo in So. Cal.
Old 03-27-07, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Oh no not the mazda/camry grill Of all the thing to steal

So much mish mash of every car out there, 750 ***, ls exhaust, tl front, gs lower chrome trim, infiniti rims...

Those pictures look pretty good though

If hyundai pulls it off, that also means more competition for acura and infiniti.
Old 03-27-07, 09:42 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

front of a camry, side of a TL, rear of a fusion between the IS, 7 series and 3 series. and exhaust from the LS
Old 03-27-07, 09:51 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great find.
Reminds me of the G35 sedan with LS 460 exhaust pipes. Design it nothing near groudbreaking, I was hoping for me.
Nothing is really "ground breaking" when it comes to Hyundai. But what consumers can now expect are quality automobiles, much different from the Hyundai of 20 years ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watch out Lexus... Here comes Hyundai...(Genesis concept images released - Page 2)