Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM's Lutz confirms V12 in development for Cadillac flagship

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 08:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default GM's Lutz confirms V12 in development for Cadillac flagship

Lutz unveiles the Cadillac Sixteen concept at NAIAS 2003 in Detroit
Lutz confirms V12 in development for Cadillac flagship
Posted Mar 21st 2007 11:07AM by Noah Joseph

It's official. It's been confirmed: Cadillac is preparing a new V12 flagship. That's straight from the mouth of our favorite man in the business, Bob Lutz. On a recent trip across the pond, GM's venerated product guru confirmed in an interview to the British car magazine AutoWeek that they are indeed working on a twelve-cylinder engine, slated to power a new range-topping, import-beating "Cadillac of Cadillacs," a super-luxury-sedan to rival the likes of the Mercedes S-Class and Lexus LS in the grandest of American style.

The new powerplant is being fabricated from two of GM's 3.6-liter 60-degree V6 engines mounted on a common crankshaft. Far from relying solely on cylinder count, sources speculate the engine will also benefit from such features as direct injection and cylinder deactivation, resulting in a 7.2-liter V12 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 horsepower and 540 lb-ft of torque.

And just where is GM testing such a behemoth of an engine? In Australia, of course! As has become de rigeur for American automakers of late, GM is relying on its Australian subsidiary to run the development work on the new flagship engine. Holden is reported to have already begun testing mules, based on a Commodore with a stretched-out engine bay, at its Lang Lang test center near Melbourne. Although the Zeta-based Commodore, (a.k.a. the upcoming Pontiac G8) is being used strictly as a test bed for the time being, it could end up providing the underpinnings for the Cadillac megasedan when the time comes.

Lutz has been pushing for a top-tier Cadillac for years now, and the impetus for its development has apparently come from the feedback received by the Cadillac Sixteen showcar debuted back in 2003. Although the showcase V16 engine was ruled out, apparently the V12 has gotten the green light for development. Shoot for the stars and land on the moon, eh Bob?
Automotive newa, via autoblog
Old 03-22-07, 08:50 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds good hope they follow through and make it into a beauty
Old 03-22-07, 10:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

600 hp? A little over-the-top, isn't it?

Cadillac needs to stop focusing on horsepower and more on other things, like quality and reliability...
Old 03-22-07, 10:47 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think that model will give Cadillac a huge image boost. They can play with the big boys like Mercedes, BMW, and Audi now and offer something that Lexus, Lincoln, Acura, Jaguar, and Infiniti does not offer which is a ultra luxury v-12 powered flagship at a lower price then its competition. Since this vehicle will cost alot and Cadillac is steadily improving their interiors I think we will not see much of evidence of cost cutting with this model like we do on all other Cadillacs. They can go a little crazy with this car with super high quality leather, high quality woods, other exotic materials, and breakthrough technology and make it something people truly aspire to.
Old 03-22-07, 12:02 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its about time they had a V12 flag ship.
Old 03-22-07, 02:16 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I would like to see this car in person. It looks like a Maybach and XLR combined.
Old 03-22-07, 02:26 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, impressive. chances are ill be seeing these in LA often.
Old 03-22-07, 03:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus needs V12 in their line up now. All the big boys got it.
Old 03-22-07, 03:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Cadillac deserves a V12
Old 03-22-07, 03:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus already has Hybrid V8's and a V10 coming, so I think we're probably good for now. Cadillac NEEDS this...we don't.

If they feel the heat though, perhaps a LS-F would be nice
Old 03-22-07, 04:43 PM
LexFather

Lexus engineers have said this is the "old" way of doing things.

However, I am rooting for Caddy. I think a V-12 car will be huge for their halo and image. I would even go so far as to say do a V-16 or so. BEAT the competiton, don't meet it.

It's the American in me. GO CADDY!

Old 03-22-07, 06:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If this indeed true, then way to go GM. But as others have mentioned, the car overall (not just the engine) will have to be extraordinary to compete with the S Class, and LS. Both the S Class and LS are the luxury flagships of each respective brand, and they put a lot of hard work and effort into those models. Can Cadillac compete? It's too early to say.

There is also the rumour of a "super Lexus sedan" above the LS that keeps persisting.

Lexus has, and will continue to have for several years an exclusive lineup of luxury hybrids.

Cadillac's image is in a bad state right now, and it remains to be seen what this car will actually do for it.
Old 03-22-07, 06:16 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

i saw this sixteen concept in person. Let me tell you - it is a beast! It looks fabulous in person - but i doubt this super luxury sedan that cadillac is coming out with will look anythign like the sixteen concept. I do applaud cadillac for stepping up and having ***** to compete with mercedes and lexus with a fighter of its own!
Old 03-22-07, 06:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If the new model looks very similar to the Sixteen, it more than likely wont sell as much as a new fresh design would.

Leave it to GM to finally greenlight a HOT concept 4 years after everyone saw it and got over it (plus another 3 years to actually see it on the road).

Hopefully they get it right.
Old 03-22-07, 06:33 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

..... this thing really does look super HOT and just needs some adjustments to make it looks like a sedan that will look amazing!
Attached Thumbnails GM's Lutz confirms V12 in development for Cadillac flagship-vgbbb.jpg  

Quick Reply: GM's Lutz confirms V12 in development for Cadillac flagship