Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 05:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board ?

RUMOR: NSX development halted, Acura going back to drawing board
February 21st, 2007 2:08 PM

When Acura showed the Advanced Sports Car Concept off at Detroit this January, the car drew a lot of wows, but insiders let it be known that the shiny showstand beauty was not for real.

How could it be, when the concept was an engineless, interiorless fiberglass mock-up with blacked-out windows? Wait for the Tokyo Show in October, went the word, when Honda/Acura would show an updated version, much closer to what will appear in the showrooms around 2009, complete with promised V-10 engine.

Now comes word from a source familiar with the program that the Tokyo Show car won’t be for real, either and that secretly, behind the scenes, Acura has completely torn up the whole script and started over. Honda’s top management isn’t happy with either car, so we hear, so it’s back to the drawing board, again, at least in terms of how the finished car will look, although the basic proportions and front-engined V-10 package and all-wheel drive layout will stay…

Adding to the pressure, of course, is the Lexus LF-A and thunderous new Nissan Skyline GT-R, two major league rivals close to production and that at the going rate will beat the Acura into the showroom by years.

Another issue is price. While the NSX ended up a $90,000 car, Acura is thinking about $150,000 for the new V-10 car, which is Aston Martin DB9 money, near enough, so the customer base is set to be far more exclusive even than the NSX….

Written By: Peter Nunn
Source : windingroad
Old 02-21-07, 05:50 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion it is a very good idea to send this design back to the
drawing board. The feedback must not have been too positive.
It sort of reminds me of the initial version of the LF-A which I thought
was too squarish.
Old 02-21-07, 05:57 PM
LexFather

I love the NSX but Honda is in a tough spot.
1. They already promised a V-10 so they can't go back to anything else.
2. The concept was nothing compared to the LF-A. I read the NSX forums and it was universal, the NSX is dead, sign them up for a LF-A. The concept was a huge flop.
3. No one bought a 90k Acura NSX here, no one bought a 90k Honda NSX overseas. The business case is very tough, especially as Honda is getting rid of damn near all of its sporty cars (ala Toyota in the 1990s) to chase profits (ala trucks and SUVs).
4. We've heard the new NSX for what 6 years now? The LF-A came out of nowhere and a year later we have a near production model?

I just hope they make it back a smaller, true NSX and not that GT they showed us.

Old 02-21-07, 06:00 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Help!!

Who is this Peter Nunn person?

My recollection was everyone dumped on that crappy showcar worse than they did regarding the low power the HSC was supposed to have.

To me Acura is abandoning their NSX customer base by moving from the mid rear engine layout. So who are they marketing to, non Acura customers?

It is no surprise that they can't get a car approved internally because everything they show comes back with, hey stupid we don't want that and please stop putting I drive in the cars while you are at it.
Old 02-21-07, 06:01 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just give us the HSC concept

Old 02-21-07, 07:48 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Yes, HSC concept....but with the V10 please!!
Old 02-21-07, 07:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yes, HSC concept....but with the V10 please!!
I happily agree with MR_F1.

I think the design on the top of the page strikes me as too Cadillacish.
Old 02-21-07, 08:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like NSX is caught between LF-A and GT-R...back in the day, the NSX had the Japanese supercar field to itself, but no longer.
Old 02-21-07, 08:50 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

yup! that's good news!
Old 02-21-07, 08:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It better go back to the drawing board. I wonder if we can Email acura and let them know of our feedbacks. I am not too happy with a front-engine configuration.
Old 02-21-07, 09:57 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
Looks like NSX is caught between LF-A and GT-R...back in the day, the NSX had the Japanese supercar field to itself, but no longer.
So which is the rock and which is the hard place?
Old 02-21-07, 10:24 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on HSC bandwagon. The HSC is more of evolution from NSX than this weird soul-less AACS.

Last edited by Nick2JZ; 02-22-07 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 11:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is very good news that it is going back to the drawing bored but unfortunately it seems like the front engine and awd remains. That concept got little to no love especially from previous NSX owners and they need to start over from scratch. They can still give a front engine sports car a very appealing exotic look but the original mid engine fans will still be dissapointed although a little less if it turns out looking really good.

As for that 150K price tag I don't think Acura is going to price it that high. If anything it should be priced around the same or lower then the previous NSX since it will be a less expensive front engine layout that can be shared with other lower priced models and it most likely will not be handbuilt out of aluminum. I don't think Lexus could sell a car at a 150K and I am sure they want the LFA to be profitable as well as adding prestige to the brand so I have a feeling they will price it to where it won't be considered shocking and way overpriced like around 95K-115K.

Most of the people on the NSX sites I saw were saying they would look at or get the mid engine Audi R8 or New Lotus Espirit for a replacement for their NSX not the Lexus LFA as the LFA is front engined and most likely pretty heavy and more of a GT car then pure bred sports car like the NSX, R8, and Espirit. Acura still may build a mid engine true NSX replacement in the future but it appears the next high performance car from Acura will be front engine v10 with most likely a advance version of shawd. Hopefully this new frwd platform will spawn some great new models. I hope the redesign does not set them back more time because people are getting tired of waiting for the car and hearing all these rumours and delays.
Old 02-21-07, 11:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
It better go back to the drawing board. I wonder if we can Email acura and let them know of our feedbacks. I am not too happy with a front-engine configuration.
On the Acura homepage you could share your feedback and answer a survey about the concept. On TOV and NSXprime they had links to it. I answered it and was pretty harsh about the looks and engine configuration.
Old 02-21-07, 11:34 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

front engine configuration is unacceptable, Honda is utterly clueless.

w/every passing year they become more and more generic.

Quick Reply: Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board ?