Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chicago Auto Show: MotorWeek Drivers Choice Awards

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 05:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Chicago Auto Show: MotorWeek Drivers Choice Awards

Chicago Auto Show: MotorWeek Drivers Choice Awards
Feb 7th 2007

the complete list of winners:

Best of the Year: Honda Fit

Best Small Car: Honda Fit

Best Family Sedan: Saturn Aura

Best Minivan: Hyundai Entourage/Kia Sedona

Best Convertible: Volkswagen Eos

Best Luxury Sedan: Lexus LS

Best Sports Sedan: Infiniti G35

Best Performance Car: Ford Shelby GT500

Best Small Utility: Honda CR-V

Best Large Utility: Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon

Best Crossover Utility: GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook

Best Pickup Truck: Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra

Best Eco-Friendly: Toyota Motor Corporation

Best Dream Machine: Jaguar XKR, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Porsche 911 Turbo

More : CLICK HERE

Old 02-07-07, 06:31 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing how the Fit wins the Car of the Year. I personally do not think it is the most significant or the most accomplished car of the year, despite being the best in class. I mean, what grounds does the Fit break anyway?
Old 02-08-07, 07:51 AM
LexFather

Good list. It is so hard today to have a bad car, everyone is turning out a great product.

Old 02-08-07, 11:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Amazing how the Fit wins the Car of the Year. I personally do not think it is the most significant or the most accomplished car of the year, despite being the best in class. I mean, what grounds does the Fit break anyway?

x2

while the Fit is a good car for its intended purpose, I dont see how it's the best of the year.
Old 02-08-07, 12:50 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing with the Fit is that it's really quite expensive when you look at models with even decent equipment. At the base end and looking at stripper models, you can get nicer cars for the same money, and the only place where the Fit is really nice is when it costs $16K or more, and for that much money I would prefer to move into the compact class after a Corolla or Civic. To be quite honest, looking at the Fit comparatively with other cars in it's class- Versa, Yaris, etc,- it is quite pricey. Considering the premium it demands, I don't really think that it's spectacular...at all.

I think journalists are driving relatively "loaded" versions of the car with no window sticker, and they truthfully cost almost $17k if not more, and then they think, "Oh ok, well look at all the nice stuff I have on this car, it drives well, looks ok, decent space, looks ok, and it's really not that bad for a sub compact." Truth be told, the model you are driving isnt PRICED like a sub compact.
Old 02-11-07, 05:07 PM
TheGambler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
x2

while the Fit is a good car for its intended purpose, I dont see how it's the best of the year.
+1. I think the Fit is a great little car, but 1. I would hardly consider it the best of the year.....and 2. I don't consider it best in class either. The Versa has a much larger interior, more powerful, and can come with a 6 spd manual and bluetooth.
Old 02-11-07, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

MotorWeek is a good organization. I casually know its lead auto tester, John Davis, but not very well.....I see him at car shows and we talk some about latest models.
Pat Goss, Motorweek's lead technician, is great with some repair diagnosis, especially electronic/computer ones, a very difficult area, but he tends to recommend a lot of expensive service such as transmission, power steering, and brake-system flushes very couple of years, which, true, would extend their lives but make the car very costly to service. He also, IMO, unlike Davis, tends to overrate the domestic car somewhat in relation to its Japanese competition.
Old 02-11-07, 05:27 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
MotorWeek is a good organization. I casually know its lead auto tester, John Davis, but not very well.....I see him at car shows and we talk some about latest models.
Pat Goss, Motorweek's lead technician, is great with some repair diagnosis, especially electronic/computer ones, a very difficult area, but he tends to recommend a lot of expensive service such as transmission, power steering, and brake-system flushes very couple of years, which, true, would extend their lives but make the car very costly to service. He also, IMO, unlike Davis, tends to overrate the domestic car somewhat in relation to its Japanese competition.
You forgot about Craig. I've been a viewr of this show since I was a teen.
Old 02-11-07, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Why does the thread title have Chicago Auto Show in it!?